Dumbarton v Greenock Morton

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Morton fans now praising Duffy. Totally shameless, fickle shitebags :lol:

Now we're 6 league places above Dunfermline just like every other season he's been in charge he's off the hook again. Balance restored.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumbarton were awful today and despite coming out clear winners in end I didn't think Morton were much better. Annoying thing has got to be overall the way we played . 

Weve definitely got a number of former first division players that are not up to this level 

1 minute ago, cedrick1 said:

Dumbarton were awful today and despite coming out clear winners in end I didn't think Morton were much better. Annoying thing has got to be overall the way we played . 

Weve definitely got a number of former first division players that are not up to this level 

Whilst I agree, I would say that Morton didn't have to be any good. They still absolutely strolled the game without really ever looking in any doubt.

And that's pretty damming on our part.

The match stats tell the story really. More possession, more efforts at goal, 8 on target to Dumarton's none. Home side were pretty rotten whichever way you look at it. Morton ran out comfortably without playing well.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Morton fans now praising Duffy. Totally shameless, fickle shitebags :lol:

Shameless and fickle - yes. Shitebags is an understatement! :)

Given your defence wasn't put under any pressure whatsoever I'd hope they'd be comfortable

If you want an example of a defence failing under no pressure, see Saint Mirren v yourselves last week. Dumbarton didn't do much but a lot of that is down to the fact that we're well organised defensively and Gavin Gunning is far too good for this level.

Utterly damning statistics there. We matched Morton for a fair bit of the game, and despite letting in two goals, Martin deserved the MoTM for us. He kept the score respectable.

Worrying about Sparky. Well played the Morton fans for their applause, and well done everyone for the minute's silence.

image.png

Whilst I agree, I would say that Morton didn't have to be any good. They still absolutely strolled the game without really ever looking in any doubt.

And that's pretty damming on our part.

And without bringing our only competent centre forward off the bench. Duffy was dithering over introducing Quitongo until Russell's goal from nothing removed the necessity. Morton played poorly but it fortuitously turned out to be a decent rest for a couple of our key players today. It didn't look like that at half time though.

16 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

And without bringing our only competent centre forward off the bench. Duffy was dithering over introducing Quitongo until Russell's goal from nothing removed the necessity. Morton played poorly but it fortuitously turned out to be a decent rest for a couple of our key players today. It didn't look like that at half time though.

Very true, and I'm guessing Nesbit would've been involved too. That's the major thing that concerned me today. It was like the Ayr game a few weeks back, they were alright, and didn't have to be any better as the result was never in doubt. The only difference was that Morton took 50 odd minutes longer to get the goal, and started their main striker on the bench.

Gunning is an absolute mentalist. The stare he gave the linesman after he gave a contentious decision will haunt me for eternity. Exactly what you want from a centre-back. I did notice he went up and tickled McCallum randomly late on too :lol:

12 hours ago, port-ton said:

Imagine opinions changing based on performances and results.

Fans should either praise or hound a manager from the day of their appointment to the day they leave and stick to one the fickle b*****ds.

Indeed. We were having dreadful results so the manager was criticised. We're now having good results so the manager is being praised. People can call it fickle if they like, but I call it blatantly fucking obvious common sense.

Anyway, relieved to shitfest the win from that considering it was our worst performance since losing at Ayr. Nowhere near as bad as that of course, but we offered very little. We couldn't play through the middle effectively because Dumbarton crowded the middle of the park while Oyenuga offers absolutely nothing and failed to drag defenders out of position as Quitongo would have to create space for the midfield. We couldn't use width to exploit Dumbarton being narrow because Russell was being wasted at left midfield with a centre back behind him, meaning they could double up on him without the threat of an overlap which we'd have had with Russell in his proper position at left back. There was never any threat of conceding, but for much of the game it looked like we were going to fail to break down the defence.

Quite funny that the goals ended up coming from Russell and Oyenuga considering those were the main deficiencies in the team, but hopefully Duffy accepts that those experiments shouldn't be repeated despite getting the win. We'll need to improve on that to compete with Dundee Utd and hopefully Nesbitt and Quitongo back in the side will make the difference. Russell to left back and Oyenuga to Clyde, please.

I still cannot believe he took off Joe Thomson - one of the few guys putting in challenges and generally doing something on the pitch - for McCallum, only to pap Stanton - a number 10 by trade - into Thomson's position. It was the same against Ayr a few weeks back, I just cannot get my head around what he's thinking.

The fact that Stevo was an unused sub when we were chasing the game has made think that there is some substance in the Troon rumours. With our tactics of aimless long balls, surely Stevo's fairly substantial frame would've been more effective than McCallum who (I don't think) touched the ball.

Is Robert Thomson genuinely unsubbable as well? Barring a very impressive performance against Dundee United at Tannadice, and the first half assist v Dunfermline, he's barely done anything for months. I do feel for him as his confidence is clearly absolutely shot, and he needs a spell out the team.

Chasing the game.

Thomson doesnt offer a goal threat. It's arguable that Donald doesnt really offer one either in a game like yesterday. He had to try something and he went with the most attacking minded sub he could have.

We were badly exposed in the middle of the park when Sparky went off. We lost all organisation and looked all over the place. Thomson wasn't going to get us a goal back and we were losing the game anyway.

As for unsubbable players, we have a paper thin squad. Substitutions are great if they can change a game but who do we have sitting out who could come in and make a difference?

I still cannot believe he took off Joe Thomson - one of the few guys putting in challenges and generally doing something on the pitch - for McCallum, only to pap Stanton - a number 10 by trade - into Thomson's position. It was the same against Ayr a few weeks back, I just cannot get my head around what he's thinking.

The fact that Stevo was an unused sub when we were chasing the game has made think that there is some substance in the Troon rumours. With our tactics of aimless long balls, surely Stevo's fairly substantial frame would've been more effective than McCallum who (I don't think) touched the ball.

Is Robert Thomson genuinely unsubbable as well? Barring a very impressive performance against Dundee United at Tannadice, and the first half assist v Dunfermline, he's barely done anything for months. I do feel for him as his confidence is clearly absolutely shot, and he needs a spell out the team.

All your points prove to everyone what we already know......Stevie has lost it and doesn't seem to know what he's doing. We have some good players, players who would get into other championship teams, but they seem completely bereft of confidence. We are playing some completely dross football and can't seem to buy a result. If it wasn't for st Mirren we would be stranded and sinking fast! Our home form has saved us the last few years and we all thought it would be the same this year. Not managing a shot on target against Morton at home rings some major alarm bells! No other club in Scotland would put up with our recent results but our board seem to plod along with the status quo, allowing themselves to be pre occupied with a new stadium! Maybe a new manager should be higher up the agenda! If we continue on this track there will be no fans to fill our swanky new stadium, I for one am fed up forking out nearly £20 a week to watch depressing football, my boys under 11 side play better stuff and actually create chances!

Archived