Rovers v Airdrie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would choose New Broomfield over the Rovers stadium. I get it fans like the terracing. The reality is the Rovers stadium would be lucky to hold 2000 and is badly in need of work. The pitch is the worst I have seen in the league this here and many teams will struggle to play football on that pitch. New Broomfield is a great stadium and all it needs is more fans filling the seats.

I would choose New Broomfield over the Rovers stadium. I get it fans like the terracing. The reality is the Rovers stadium would be lucky to hold 2000 and is badly in need of work. The pitch is the worst I have seen in the league this here and many teams will struggle to play golf football on that pitch. New Broomfield is a great stadium and all it needs is more fans filling the seats.

Nonsense, facts / reality Broomfield is (and was) far too big for our needs. This of course has been covered numerous times and really doesn't matter now. The point is for watching football at our level Cliftonhill wins. For Elton John concerts on the other hand.....

Cliftonhill is a dump but I enjoyed watching the game from the terracing. It takes you back to the 80's & 90's where there was a half decent atmosphere at games. However any club looking to attract families to games need decent facilities. In a perfect world we would have a smaller stadium with both seats and terracing for those who would prefer to stand to watch the games and yes we might even get bigger crowds.  We all know New Broomfield is too big for us. We all know the reason why the club built the stadium at the time. Unfortunately we are stuck with what we have as there's no way the current owners will spend any money converting seating to terracing. 

"In a perfect world we would have a smaller stadium with both seats and terracing"

I agree with this in principal but the only stadium in Scotland that has been built with terracing in the last 20 years is Stirling Albion and the terracing there has only been used a handful of times, mostly for away fans. Building a smaller stadium say 6000 seater would have been better but at the time we were told 10,000 were required to get promoted, that now looks like a foolish aspiration but at the time wasn't out with reality.

4 hours ago, moses1924 said:

"In a perfect world we would have a smaller stadium with both seats and terracing"

I agree with this in principal but the only stadium in Scotland that has been built with terracing in the last 20 years is Stirling Albion and the terracing there has only been used a handful of times, mostly for away fans. Building a smaller stadium say 6000 seater would have been better but at the time we were told 10,000 were required to get promoted, that now looks like a foolish aspiration but at the time wasn't out with reality.

Celtic have converted part of their stadium to the European style terracing and are hoping to convert even more of the ground for next season. Likely more clubs will follow suit over the next few years.

Most clubs have the problem of how to finance the conversion but we have the added problem that it isn't even our ground. :unsure:

I would choose New Broomfield over the Rovers stadium. I get it fans like the terracing. The reality is the Rovers stadium would be lucky to hold 2000 and is badly in need of work. The pitch is the worst I have seen in the league this here and many teams will struggle to play football on that pitch. New Broomfield is a great stadium and all it needs is more fans filling the seats.

Aye another 9,500 and we'll be sorted...

Cliftonhill is a dump but I enjoyed watching the game from the terracing. It takes you back to the 80's & 90's where there was a half decent atmosphere at games. However any club looking to attract families to games need decent facilities. In a perfect world we would have a smaller stadium with both seats and terracing for those who would prefer to stand to watch the games and yes we might even get bigger crowds.  We all know New Broomfield is too big for us. We all know the reason why the club built the stadium at the time. Unfortunately we are stuck with what we have as there's no way the current owners will spend any money converting seating to terracing. 

Do kids and families prefer seating really? My daughter refuses to go and see airdrie because it's freezing and there is no atmosphere. She'd rather go and hear some noise- I'd imagine other folk are the same as the product on the park is hardly scintillating.

45 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Do kids and families prefer seating really? My daughter refuses to go and see airdrie because it's freezing and there is no atmosphere. She'd rather go and hear some noise- I'd imagine other folk are the same as the product on the park is hardly scintillating.

I never said families preferred seating. I said clubs needed decent facilities to attract families along to games. Decent toilets for a start....not portaloos. Uncovered terracing isn't ideal either as we live in Scotland after all and our weather  has been known to rain now and again. 

Facilities aren't a huge deal for me, but you need to be able to have a decent view of the game.  It's bad enough being behind the goals at any game, but when you can't even get any decent elevation, you've little idea what's going on any further away than about the halfway line,  

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Anyone got an explanation for the chopped off "goal"?

looking at the highlights a couple of your guys might have been offside?

At 4:36 there are a couple of Rovers players on the 6 yard line behind our defence, just as the ball is kicked for the goal.

Must admit, I thought at the time it was harsh, even looking at the highlights, I cant see where the interference comes from.  

Disappointing defensive collapse late on from us.   Davidson unmarked for that initial shot (spot Leighton coming back too late) and Fitz leaves Dunlop unmarked for the rebound as he had closed down Davidson.

The penalty, Gorman goes to ground too easily.   But why was Bombscare out on the left wing?  We caught ourselves too short.

And as for the goal,  Gorman goes to sleep and loses his man.   we had Leitch and Conroy on the near post.    Is Rohan too far from his near post too?   That isn't the first goal we've conceded too easily from a near post header.  

9 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Yeah, you can't play tig in an all seated stand.  When I was a kid I reckon I used to watch about 10 minutes of each match tops, and then spend the rest of it either playing with my pals on the (usually empty) terracing behind the east goal or standing in the pie queue.

That said, a seat is probably better for playing with your smart phone.

Archived