Floodlit ADL Match

AWRFC

TT why you hoping for ardeer win,youz have got league wrapped up already lol

Only one maniac thinks that ha. Everybody else connected to Whitletts know how hard its going to be

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest what was the crowd tonight for this game ? Was it higher than normal due to no other games being on and also the novelty factor ? 

Were there many neutrals there to boost the crowd ? Did it capture the imagination ? I certainly hope so but sometimes people just have habits that they don't let go. 

From our perspective we felt it was a worth while effort. Got feedback from the match officials and Ardeer boys about adjustments that could be made. The players were comfortable on the ball. The centre half's all won their headers and never lost the ball under the lights. Both keepers seemed to manage well with crosses and shots on goals, apart from big Paul's blooper at the end.

The pitch is in great condition for November if we remember last years weather. Got our outside green-keeper to verti-drain it last week and he cross cut it on Wednesday so pitch was immaculate.

Added extra lighting around the terraces on stand side, but flood lights light up the terraces on the far side so there is issues with tripping etc.

Did everything we could to make the event work from ordering florescent match balls to having assistant referees to assist the match official. Will take on board their feed back including perhaps wearing our white strips rather than the hooped black.

Most importantly we saw an increase on the gate of around 200, including a healthy contingent from Ardeer who were boisterous, but added to the atmosphere. I was round the far side and I felt there were no issues with seeing any of the play. So thanks to Del, Bo, Mark and their Ardeer side for coming over to play. I think it worked out well for both sides.

We did better at our pie shops and supporters club as well as the gate. It is up to clubs to be agreeable to try it, if we were to plan another Friday Night fixture.

I think Der 73 photo shows that the match and lights were to an acceptable standard.

I was there as a neutral and although the lights were dimmer than I would have expected, it didn't seem to affect the players adversely and the game was good.  It also seemed to draw in a fair number of neutrals (I saw a guy wearing a jacket with a Pollok badge on it, for example) and there was a pretty good atmosphere.  So, well done to both clubs on a worthwhile experiment.  I'll be back if Winton give it another try.

AWR06pano.jpg

neilston, benburb and petershill all had lights in the 70's possibly earlier. So I would be surprised if a game wasn't played under them

We never played competitively at the old ground under the lights as they weren't quite good enough , but they were used for plenty of friendlies. We have played several games under lights since we moved, particularly in the sectional ko stages.

8 hours ago, poity_uk said:

I was there as a neutral and although the lights were dimmer than I would have expected, it didn't seem to affect the players adversely and the game was good.  It also seemed to draw in a fair number of neutrals (I saw a guy wearing a jacket with a Pollok badge on it, for example) and there was a pretty good atmosphere.  So, well done to both clubs on a worthwhile experiment.  I'll be back if Winton give it another try.

AWR06pano.jpg

Looks great!! :thumsup2

29 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

To poity_uk, Sam Morrison was there last night, I saw him in the Pie Shop but forgot to mention your history quest, did you manage to speak to him?

To be honest, I wasn't thinking about it and didn't think to ask for him.  Thanks for the jog to my memory though ...  I'll try to get in touch  (maybe at another Friday night match?)

Out of interest what was the crowd tonight for this game ? Was it higher than normal due to no other games being on and also the novelty factor ? 

Were there many neutrals there to boost the crowd ? Did it capture the imagination ? I certainly hope so but sometimes people just have habits that they don't let go. 

Winton website estimates crowd as about 300. I only managed to get there a few minutes before kick off due to work and there seemed to be plenty in the ground compared to previous visits to the Winton. There was a decent number of Ardeer fans there that don't go to that many home games.

Personally, I didn't think it was that great a match. Envious of the Winton floodlights but I'd say they need upgrading before hosting any other league games. From a spectator standpoint, I found it much more difficult to follow the action at the far end of the park than usual, plus it was easy to lose the trail of the luminous ball when it was high in the air.

Don't know how the players were affected by the floodlights as I left straight after full time. Winton were worthy winners of the match though.

Winton website estimates crowd as about 300. I only managed to get there a few minutes before kick off due to work and there seemed to be plenty in the ground compared to previous visits to the Winton. There was a decent number of Ardeer fans there that don't go to that many home games.

I was told from AWR that the crowd was up a third from usual and the attendance against Darvel in the Scottish Cup replay last week was exactly 100 as the gate money was split so can't think where you get 300 from.

Archived