Elgin City v Cowdenbeath

Elgin should have scored at least another 3 or 4 today, but Cowden keeper was good. Shane was MotM in my opinion, even after missing his sitter. Been player of the season so far. If I was a Cowden fan, I would fear a third relegation.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elgin are the best side we've played in the League this season and on another day, they could of and should have had five or six goals.

This won't be a popular opinion but Craig Johnston could do a job for us just now. Has scored quite a few on loan at Spartans and his two goals for the club have both come against Arbroath - a club at this level. He is a much better option that Murrell anyway who isn't good enough. Waste of a loan.

All Elgin's attacks were coming down our right. They obviously identified Mullen as a weakness and went at him. His stupid early booking didn't help him although he is guff. 

If Fox wants to persist with the 3-5-2 then Pyper would be a better option at right wing back until Brett comes back. Sneddon would be a better option than Mullen and Fox does love playing players out of position. 

We were utter dross for most of the game. Way too slow at the back. Not close enough to the Elgin players. Don't know what Creaney was supposed to be doing. He was never any closer than about twenty yards from the nearest Elgin player. Turner should have been sent off. Elgin play well and are good enough to be champions. They simply strolled through our defence time and time again and could have easily had six or seven goals. We only looked a little bit threatening near the end. Bizarrely, we could have even snatched a draw. If Todorov could hit the target his header had the keeper well beaten and only just missed by inches and Murrell's shot was heading in if that donkey Renton hadn't got in the way of it. Would have been total injustice though. Some fans have said that Murrell is not up to it, but I have to say, he made all the right runs at the right time and looked every part a striker. Looks like he just needs regular game time (like most players). He is the only player we have who actually looks like a striker. Renton is woeful. He doesn't even jump off the ground when trying to win headers. The formation we play is totally wrong for the type of players we have as well. Most of the game we are just passing it for the sake of it because they don't know what else to do and then it is just lumped forward for Renton to lose.

6 minutes ago, PELE said:

We were utter dross for most of the game. Way too slow at the back. Not close enough to the Elgin players. Don't know what Creaney was supposed to be doing. He was never any closer than about twenty yards from the nearest Elgin player. Turner should have been sent off. Elgin play well and are good enough to be champions. They simply strolled through our defence time and time again and could have easily had six or seven goals. We only looked a little bit threatening near the end. Bizarrely, we could have even snatched a draw. If Todorov could hit the target his header had the keeper well beaten and only just missed by inches and Murrell's shot was heading in if that donkey Renton hadn't got in the way of it. Would have been total injustice though. Some fans have said that Murrell is not up to it, but I have to say, he made all the right runs at the right time and looked every part a striker. Looks like he just needs regular game time (like most players). He is the only player we have who actually looks like a striker. Renton is woeful. He doesn't even jump off the ground when trying to win headers. The formation we play is totally wrong for the type of players we have as well. Most of the game we are just passing it for the sake of it because they don't know what else to do and then it is just lumped forward for Renton to lose.

Can't see how anyone can say Murrell isn't up to it. He hasn't been given any game time. He might be hopeless but there are plenty others who get a game regularly who aren't up to it.

For goodness sake the lad deserves a chance.

34 minutes ago, PELE said:

From what I've seen of Murrell he'll be playing park football next season.  Renton is doing the job he's asked to but not getting the support he needs.

Harsh af on Renton based purely on Saturday's game. He won a hell of a lot in the air and set up the goal (I think). He is far from great but he doesn't deserved to be singled out like that. 8/9 worse players out there.

1 hour ago, NotAFan said:

Wow, Elgin were impressive! Really could've been a hammeering if they'd taken half the chances they made.

Their highlights v Stirling from a couple of weeks ago were the same. Could have been into double figures if they'd taken their chances. Elgin are the best side we've played in the League. 

4 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Harsh af on Renton based purely on Saturday's game. He won a hell of a lot in the air and set up the goal (I think). He is far from great but he doesn't deserved to be singled out like that. 8/9 worse players out there.

Renton did set up the goal headed Mullen's corner back to Ross.

16 hours ago, CowdenConvert said:

From what I've seen of Murrell he'll be playing park football next season.  Renton is doing the job he's asked to but not getting the support he needs.

Murrell was a decent prospect at Spartans scored for fun in their 20s side before coming into their 1st team and quickly snapped up by DU. Loaned back to Spartans for the 2nd half of last season and scored quite a few again.

Whatever happens to the boy he would get a game at Lowland League level at least. Can't judge him with us as he hasn't had very much game time.

3 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Their highlights v Stirling from a couple of weeks ago were the same. Could have been into double figures if they'd taken their chances. Elgin are the best side we've played in the League. 

I seem them v Edinburgh City a few weeks back and they should have been 4 up at the break and had a stonewall penalty in the 2nd half before City pulled one back. They do seem to be best of the bunch in League Two.

Archived