Aberdeen v Celtic - League Cup Final

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think that's bad ? I was at Somerset Park in August when your money-bags team just about managed to sneak a 2-1 win. Most of us at Ayr United  have the guts to support a team that's never won a thing in more than 100 years. The reason for that is that we don't have the kind of money that Aberdeen can splash on players. We probably don't greet as much as you do as we still hope ( forlornly ?) that one day, maybe one day...

Stop complaining ! You were beaten by the better team. Now, away and polish your silverware and think yourself privileged to support a big team.

It's all relative. 

Post of the year candidate

8 minutes ago, Cutty Old said:

You think that's bad ? I was at Somerset Park in August when your money-bags team just about managed to sneak a 2-1 win. Most of us at Ayr United  have the guts to support a team that's never won a thing in more than 100 years. The reason for that is that we don't have the kind of money that Aberdeen can splash on players. We probably don't greet as much as you do as we still hope ( forlornly ?) that one day, maybe one day...

Stop complaining ! You were beaten by the better team. Now, away and polish your silverware and think yourself privileged to support a big team.

It's all relative. 

I was at Pittodrie in February 1964 when your team - bottom of the old Division Two at the time - won 2-1 in the Scottish Cup, so you'll get no sympathy from me, young man.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was at Pittodrie in February 1964 when your team - bottom of the old Division Two at the time - won 2-1 in the Scottish Cup, so you'll get no sympathy from me, young man.

Well, that's just typical. They couldn't wait another three miserable years to allow me the pleasure of celebrating the glory of humbling the mighty Dons. My team never fail in letting me down :lol:

Celtic were easily the better team and their margin of victory was an accurate reflection of the gulf on the day. We afforded them too much respect from the first whistle and never looked overly likely to work our way back into it once we fell behind. Too many of our 'big' players had bad days at the office - and some just didn't show up. I have been his biggest advocate since his arrival, but that was O'Connor's poorest performance in an Aberdeen shirt thus far; he looked suspect both in and out of possession, capped off by giving away a rash penalty before being hooked. Jack was a passenger for too long in the game - he failed to adequately stamp his authority in the middle of the park; for me, his lack of dynamism can be exposed when we are playing backs to the wall and it becomes a source of real frustration. I hope he can bounce straight back at Ibrox and doesn't slip back into the form he exhibited in spells last season. Those two were very far from the only issues, however; nobody in a red shirt really did enough on the day to attain pass-marks. Celtic managed Maddison's threat quite cleverly, if cynically at points. His decision-making was perhaps on the naive side once or twice, but his age and experience have to be taken into consideration. I suppose today was also another vindication of the thesis that if Hayes doesn’t play well, Aberdeen struggle to succeed.

I expected Celtic to win, like I expect most of our fans would have deep down, but I was almost left more disappointed by the nature of the performance than the end result. Of course, beating Rangers next week would be a pleasing antidote to this anti-climax, but that will require a big improvement on what we produced today, and a much more resilient and positive performance - even against inferior opposition to Celtic.

47 minutes ago, Mr Romanov said:

I'd say the key difference was the millions of pounds more Celtic can spend than other clubs. 

Celtic out of Europe before Christmas again, 100th trophy, league won already. Exciting stuff. No wonder you all fire on a football forum after winning a cup final.

This. Most be horrible being a Celtic fans.

A few hours after our cup win I was hugging my way around a nightclub, with no voice, trying to remember what my name was.

Just back from that shite hole Hampden  best team won my gripe is the ref was letting tackles go so why f**k did we not get wired in The 2nd goal shinnie should've put the c**t in the stand but put a half hearted tackle in then they go up the park nobody closes the c**t down until the edge off the box and the rest is history 

This. Most be horrible being a Celtic fans.

A few hours after our cup win I was hugging my way around a nightclub, with no voice, trying to remember what my name was.

I wish Dunfermline won a major cup of somesort, it'd be incredible.

The correct outcome and scoreline to the game. Celtic outclassed us on the park and in the dugouts, quite comfortably.

For us, while losing hurts, the more frustrating thing was it was yet another re-run of the same performance we have put in under McInnes against Celtic in Glasgow for the past 2 and a bit seasons.

Start totally passive, concede a goal from a left footed player cutting inside, concede a second from letting someone run at us, let the heads go down, stop playing, concede a ridiculous penalty and the game's well gone.

For sure, McInnes was too negative in his midfield selection and lineup today. We played far too deep and our midfield got posted missing numerous times in the centre of the park. The 3 in the middle v Celtic didn't work at Pittodrie nor today when all three are meant to play defensively.

While all the above is fair, it's also fair to say the players don't have the mentality about them to beat Celtic in Glasgow. Time and again, we've gone down there in big games, with chances to go in front in the League or put pressure truly on and been given a doing. Once we lose a goal, rather than fight, the heads go down and too often the house collapses in on us. Too often it's a meek surrender.

And sadly, much like the Dons teams of the early 90s, this team will fail mentally all too often down there.

Deeply frustrating day but no complaints about the outcome. While I may be being hard in the above, it's also brutal honesty.

Archived