Nintendo Switch

bunglebonce

Love the look of it.

The only Nintendo hardware I've had at or close to launch was the Gameboy Advance SP.  I'll be tempted by this, having missed out on the Wii U (and there will be a lot of ports, going by the trailer).  I wonder what the price will be.

I dream of playing Advance Wars on this anywhere I go.

Third party support will likely be poor as always.

Skyrim being in the trailer is curious given it's 5 years old.

Getting new blockbuster games not made by Nintendo might be a challenge.  The spec inside it won't be close to the other consoles for performance.

Edited by bunglebonce

12 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Getting new blockbuster games not made by Nintendo might be a challenge.  The spec inside it won't be close to the other consoles for performance.

The remastered Skyrim HD version is coming out soon, though, so maybe the timing isnt that odd

It looks interesting. I like different but the "play anywhere" side doesnt really appeal to me. It will to Mr X Jnr though, big time.

As you say, though, its the games that will make or break it

9 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Not really curious considering that Skyrim Remastered is out next week. I'm taking this as a good sign for Switch. Bethesda haven't been interested in Nintendo for a while due the the hardware not being suitable for easy ports. If Switch can run Skyrim Remastered then we can assume that it's internal hardware will be fairly similar to PS4/XboxOne - I can't see Bethesda bothering otherwise.

Ah. I've never played Skyrim.  Now would be as good a time as any for me to get into it then, but I find it hard to sit down with an epic RPG these days... maybe a portable device like this will be convenient

I loved the idea of remote play on the PS4/Vita, but the execution wasn't quite right.  I've tried it on the Wii U but never got around to buying the console.  I would certainly make use of the portability across the house and elsewhere for this, if it's the 'full fat' version of games developed by Nintendo's best studios.

Edited by bunglebonce

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Agree with Mr X, its not surprising giving the remaster isnt far off and both of the major consoles right now are advertising it. Are Nintendo trying to blend console and handheld together with this? I'm definitely intrigued, if it had access to backwards compatibility with DS/3DS titles and Wii/Wii U titles that would be a pretty unique and impressive selling point. 

I think it looks fantastic and the trailer seems to show a 3DS cartridge being put in the side. The 2 player split screen using either side as a independent controller is really great. Im really impressed. I was looking at getting a new model 3DS soon but if this can play 3ds titles i would happilly hold onto my money til then. The press release says that it will have access to 500 games at launch btw March 2017 launch

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

18 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Agree with Mr X, its not surprising giving the remaster isnt far off and both of the major consoles right now are advertising it. Are Nintendo trying to blend console and handheld together with this? I'm definitely intrigued, if it had access to backwards compatibility with DS/3DS titles and Wii/Wii U titles that would be a pretty unique and impressive selling point. 

I think it looks fantastic and the trailer seems to show a 3DS cartridge being put in the side. The 2 player split screen using either side as a independent controller is really great. Im really impressed. I was looking at getting a new model 3DS soon but if this can play 3ds titles i would happilly hold onto my money til then. The press release says that it will have access to 500 games at launch btw March 2017 launch

I can't see anything in the press release stating that, the closest I can find is that a company called 505 games will be supporting it. I do like the look of it though. Like yourself I was going to get a 3DS fairly soon but may hold off until it's known whether this might play 3DS games or not.

20 minutes ago, Kris. said:

I can't see anything in the press release stating that, the closest I can find is that a company called 505 games will be supporting it. I do like the look of it though. Like yourself I was going to get a 3DS fairly soon but may hold off until it's known whether this might play 3DS games or not.

:lol: My bad, i wasn't aware of a company called 505 games, i was reading that a little too literally then

**Update** How long does everyone think the battery life will be?

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Sort of want photo 2918516987_7c192a3dbc.jpg

No doubt there will be some typical Nintendo thing to ruin any interest I have in this though. 30 mins maximum battery life or something.

I haven't properly got into a Nintendo console since the N64. I have a DS and a Wii which have long since been consigned to a cardboard box in the loft after barely being used.

46 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

The console has been long rumoured to use cartridges. Given its size and portability, Id be amazed if it has a CD drive in it, so that would rule out Wii/Wii U compatibility, other than from an online store.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was backwards compatible with the 3DS/NDS but, as I said, it would be amazing if it was. 

8 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

:lol: My bad, i wasn't aware of a company called 505 games, i was reading that a little too literally then

**Update** How long does everyone think the battery life will be?

The battery life on Nintendo stuff is usually really good. The DS range all have exceptional battery lives and the Wii U controller is pretty good too. Given portability is a key feature of the Switch it would be a big surprise if the battery life wasnt good

10 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

This could be the machine to change that

I agree that it could be, but only if it is priced low enough to entice those with a PS4 or XB1 to pick one up.

If it is, they do, and it is able to deliver the portability it describes, as well as play the top titles available on the other platforms, then it could pave the way for Nintendo to be a serious choice for a primary console once more, in the next generation.

16 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Looks smart, might have to get just for Zelda, be interesting if the wee controller pads can be used like a wii remote style thing aswell.

I was wondering that. You see them being held in each hand in the video but its not clear if they have any kind of motion detection. I would guess not, partly because of the size, but also because I think Nintendo would have included it in the video

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

I was wondering that. You see them being held in each hand in the video but its not clear if they have any kind of motion detection. I would guess not, partly because of the size, but also because I think Nintendo would have included it in the video

It was a teaser, might hold onto that detail til later to keep the hype train going. Aslong as it is reasonably priced, I'm pretty sold at this point