Nintendo Switch

bunglebonce

On 11/05/2023 at 13:21, Jives Miguel said:

Can you not get the joycon drift fixed for free from Nintendo now? My first set from 2017 are fucked, newer set I bought in 2019 I think has slight drift on the left one, but is only noticeable on games like Hollow Knight.

I've got no pre-order for TOTK, hopefully somewhere will still be stocked up in Glasgow by Friday lunchtime or its a GG for me.

Nintendo had a habit of returning grey joycon if you sent in coloured ones. I got the blue red console and my second set of joy cons are green and pink. 

Plus, I'd have them done same day. Kinda handy when the kids are itching to play Mario kart (if nintendo allowed the Gamecube adapter on more games that would be fucking swell) 

Not played it yet but my son played for a few hours when he got home from school yesterday. He can't put it down. Pretty much all he's talked about so for is the ability to combine things.

8 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Only a few hours into TOTK and I already think its gonna be the best game I've ever played.

They've managed to take BOTW and add an additional layer of creativity to it. Really, really impressed. Its like Octo balloon craft from BOTW x 100000.

Not that far in yet either but I agree with you, the abilities feel a lot more impactful and there seem to always be a few ways to get the job done.

First impressions are very much that it's just a better version of BOTW.

Did anyone get an email from Amazon refunding them £1.99 for "Pre-order price protection"? 

ETA: I know noones exactly posting spoilers, but I'm trying to steer clear of this thread until I've started it.

I'm close to 100%ing my BOTW run thanks to https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

Edited by Venti

On 13/05/2023 at 19:57, Venti said:

Did anyone get an email from Amazon refunding them £1.99 for "Pre-order price protection"? 

Yes, just got an email that I've been refunded 99 cents for the difference between the pre-order and release prices. 

99 cents! The Milky bars are on me. 

I've only really worked my way past the first three shrines, so I imagine that's basically tutorial-level stuff.  As someone who thought BOTW was just good and could not understand why it was talked about in such glowing terms (and indeed someone who doesn't really have any pre-conceived biases towards any other Zelda titles), TOTK is...good.  There's nothing bad in there, it's a very competently made game, pretty much zero noticeable bugs (which is sad to triumph as a positive, but these days...), performance is silky smooth even on the limited Switch, and you can tell that there's a lot of thought an love put into the making of it.  

But outside of that, with the best will in the world, it feels a wee bit lazy.  Like a (admittedly very good) fully-featured DLC for BOTW, rather than a new game.  The new powers are a lot of fun, and the fusing stuff really open up possibilities.  But all the bits that really got to me about BOTW are still there, and a lot of the presentation is just completely unchanged, which is something I wouldn't necessarily expect from a big sequel years in development.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't make the game bad by any means.  Just would have liked to have seen them take a few more risks and a bit more of a freshen up.  Maybe once I'm further into the game I'll hit this big vein of stuff I think is brilliant and that complaint will erode, we'll see.

Wasn't overly buzzed about the new Zelda coming out and i've played just about every game. Thought BOTW was great but i'm still a nostalgic when it comes to zelda games so the lack of dungeons/bosses and no real direction in the game was weird at times. Also the shrines became quite repetitive/boring.  I still hold OOT as the best. 

That being said i've bought TOTK and not put it down, it feels better this time, interesting story, and the building ability really gets you thinking creatively on how to do puzzles. having no 1 way to solve a puzzle is both a good and bad thing. In older games you had that sense of achievement when you worked it out, in BOTW and TOTK you can fluke it or use various abilities to get through. 

Could do without the NPC noises when they talk though 😂 the mrs has looked over a few times already. 

I've just finished the first dungeon, or at least what I think is meant to be the first one you head to anyway (in the Rito area).

While it's not quite traditional Zelda with boss keys and all that stuff, it's still a massive improvement on the Divine Beasts from BotW!