Nintendo Switch

bunglebonce

The story is horrific and it's far too easy. Making sure to rotate my team constantly to keep a challenge which is highlighting the best part about the game: how many different Pokemen it's flinging at you.

AlL 800 ArEnT iNcLuDeD!!!1!

But yeah a bit too easy although it is a kids game at the end of the day. Doing the same as yourself switching round my team a lot to keep things fresh and a bit more challenging. Even if exp share was optional it wouldn’t be as bad.

On 20/11/2019 at 00:47, NotThePars said:

The story is horrific and it's far too easy. Making sure to rotate my team constantly to keep a challenge which is highlighting the best part about the game: how many different Pokemen it's flinging at you.

It just feels like the most basic Pokemon game I've ever played. Train your Pokemon, become champion and then go home.

Boring.

Problems with Pokemon Sword/Shield:

1. Story is too linear and they hold the player’s hand far too much

2. Not enough “dungeons” people can get lost in

3. The post-Elite-Four is a bit naff and even more too hand-holdy

4. Sorry but Dynamaxing is dumb bring back Mega Evolution

5. I don’t like the way it stops rendering people and Pokemon when you’re far away from them but you can still see the bit of the map they are on.

6. Exp Share should be togglable and not available from the start by default. I ended up with a Level 60 Meowth before the Championship. That shouldn’t be something that happens.

7. DExit.

23 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Going to get one of these for my 6 year old boy. Any recommended games for him and me to play? 

Mario Kart is probably the best pick for someone of that age range. Very easy to get into and its enjoyable for older folks as well.

Going to get one of these for my 6 year old boy. Any recommended games for him and me to play? 
Super Mario Oddyssey is great. Simple controls and lovely, colourful design.

My 6 year old took a wee while to pick it up bit she loves it. Plus, I look like an absolute hero when I do the hard bits for her.

On 24/11/2019 at 01:04, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I have a 7 and 5 year old - these are their favourite games:

Rayman Legends - this is superb and was really cheap when I got it.

Kirby Star Allies - the only one that really holds my 5 year year old daughter's attention

Fortnite... - the boy loves it (even without spending any cash on it)

Lego Games - we have Lego Undercover but they are all pretty good. You can put them on the TV and co-play, that works best for us.

We have also done the Nintendo Labo - kept their attention for a little while but can't say we go back to it that much.

Santa is getting my older one the Switch Lite as he mostly plays handheld.

Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute joy of a game.  If you want that kind of platformer, there's little better than it, and it's incredibly polished compared to a lot of games these days.

Good mention for Rayman Legends too.  Haven't played it on Switch, but it's very well put together on PS4

Problems with Pokemon Sword/Shield:
1. Story is too linear and they hold the player’s hand far too much
2. Not enough “dungeons” people can get lost in
3. The post-Elite-Four is a bit naff and even more too hand-holdy
4. Sorry but Dynamaxing is dumb bring back Mega Evolution
5. I don’t like the way it stops rendering people and Pokemon when you’re far away from them but you can still see the bit of the map they are on.
6. Exp Share should be togglable and not available from the start by default. I ended up with a Level 60 Meowth before the Championship. That shouldn’t be something that happens.
7. DExit.

I definitely think they were right to continue streamlining the game and improving on the quality of life features but the way it’s made an already easy game even easier cements my belief that games need to be as fully customisable an experience as possible. It wouldn’t take much to make the EXP share optional (like it is in every other game!) or have the ability to disable the box outside of Poke Centres etc. As it is I’ve managed to avoid the easiest play through somewhat by constantly rotating my teams and it’s good that you can use exp candy to rapidly get a new addition up to scratch but it’s still a walk in the park after a while.

On 26/11/2019 at 09:11, forameus said:

Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute joy of a game.  If you want that kind of platformer, there's little better than it, and it's incredibly polished compared to a lot of games these days.

Honestly a fantastic and well thought through game. The first genuine "this is incredible" successor to Super Mario 64. Sunshine and Galaxy always felt like works in progress.

On 27/11/2019 at 23:34, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Anyone played Civilisation VI on this? Half price on Nintendo Eshop so I’m considering it.

Last time I played it it was the base game available on the PC. If you enjoy it then you'll enjoy it more on the move IMO. The controls are fine.

On 01/12/2019 at 10:07, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Getting the kids a switch for Xmas. Getting Lego Jurassic Park with it and going to look at picking up Mario kart, Mario bros, Pokemon, and donkey kong on the 2nd hand market.  Excited (for them). 

Pick up a couple of games for you once they go to bed.. 

Switch online is about 20 quid a year and that gives you nes and SNES games to replay and my lord is it worth it

10 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Pick up a couple of games for you once they go to bed.. 

Switch online is about 20 quid a year and that gives you nes and SNES games to replay and my lord is it worth it

I had no idea.  I’ll be getting that bought!!! What about this Labo thing- needed? Sounded very much like a private lady part to me.

1 hour ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

I had no idea.  I’ll be getting that bought!!! What about this Labo thing- needed? Sounded very much like a private lady part to me.

Labo is a cardboard accessories thing. Think all the Wii attachments you can get, these come packaged with games. Probably worth it on the cheaper ones. My boys are 1 and 4 so not a hope as one would try and eat it the other would be taking it apart. 

They did a Mario party game set with 2 extra joy cons before. No idea if it still exists but 90 quid for a new game and two extra controls was a bloody steal

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-game/super-mario-party-neon-green-neon-pink-joy-con-controller-bundle/11870515.html

Edited by weirdcal
Add link