6 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Latest blog post from me Moving the Goalposts

A good read, with some excellent photographs - I particularly liked the coo shed one.

The suggestion though that we'd have to make wholesale changes to the ground if promoted, is, I think, wide of the mark.

We'd just need a safety certificate, not unlike the one we've got, as far as I'm aware.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A good read, with some excellent photographs - I particularly liked the coo shed one.

The suggestion though that we'd have to make wholesale changes to the ground if promoted, is, I think, wide of the mark.

We'd just need a safety certificate, not unlike the one we've got, as far as I'm aware.

Cheers bud, much appreciated.

You liked the only photo I never took myself :lol:

What happens if you go up though? You only have about 3500 seats. Although hopefully terracing will be back but probably that horrible safe standing nonsense?

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

Cheers bud, much appreciated.

You liked the only photo I never took myself :lol:

What happens if you go up though? You only have about 3500 seats. Although hopefully terracing will be back but probably that horrible safe standing nonsense?

Sorry, I liked the other pictures too - I'm just a sucker for nostalgia.

There's no longer any requirement for a given number of seats.  The 10,000, then 6,000 stipulations were the brainchildren of the SPL, which no longer exists.  

The ground could house top flight games pretty much as it is now.  No need for safe standing or anything.  I'm fairly sure I'm right on this, but you've got me doubting myself now.  If I'm mistaken, I'm sure some will duly point it out.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's no longer any requirement for a given number of seats.  The 10,000, then 6,000 stipulations were the brainchildren of the SPL, which no longer exists.  

The ground could house top flight games pretty much as it is now.  No need for safe standing or anything.  I'm fairly sure I'm right on this, but you've got me doubting myself now.  If I'm mistaken, I'm sure some will duly point it out.

You're probably right. I lost interest as soon as ICT got it reduced to 6000. I feel a subtle wee edit coming on.

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

You're probably right. I lost interest as soon as ICT got it reduced to 6000. I feel a subtle wee edit coming on.

I'd await contributions from some others before embarking on a wee edit.  

I might very well be havering.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're not mistaken. I believe the only stadia rules now are something about having 500 covered seats and a certain standard of floodlights. I think pretty much all but 2 or 3 SPFL grounds are compliant (or perhaps its me that talking shite).

I'd hate to see Palmerston lose the terracing. East End Park is shite without terracing and plenty of other grounds have suffered as well by having to install a load of seats that no one wants and at least half of which sit unused.

As others have said, the only requirement for top level football is a Bronze level stadium licence which Palmerston already has. There may be further voluntary improvements if we were to get promoted but nothing that has to be done.

The other point I would mention is the suggestion Palmerston dates from the formation of the club in 1919. It doesnt, its much older. Not sure how old but it was a military parade ground and sports ground long before Queen of the South moved in in 1919 and bought it in the early 20's.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

You're not mistaken. I believe the only stadia rules now are something about having 500 covered seats and a certain standard of floodlights. I think pretty much all but 2 or 3 SPFL grounds are compliant (or perhaps its me that talking shite).

I'd hate to see Palmerston lose the terracing. East End Park is shite without terracing and plenty of other grounds have suffered as well by having to install a load of seats that no one wants and at least half of which sit unused.

EEP is a great stadium, it's just too big. 7500-8000 seats would probably have been perfect IMO.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As others have said, the only requirement for top level football is a Bronze level stadium licence which Palmerston already has. There may be further voluntary improvements if we were to get promoted but nothing that has to be done.

The other point I would mention is the suggestion Palmerston dates from the formation of the club in 1919. It doesnt, its much older. Not sure how old but it was a military parade ground and sports ground long before Queen of the South moved in in 1919 and bought it in the early 20's.

Cheers, I reworded it. I started this blog back in January, mainly because I had loads of old photos doing nothing (my Caley site was obsolete but I knew people were interested in the photos) and partly as an antidote against some of the ground hopping blogs which get on my tits a bit.

One thing you become aware of right away is, even if you are fond of the ground, you are not a supporter, so the best you can hope for is not offending the ones who really care :lol:

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is correct.

Though I believe that Queens may be forced by the polis to put safer standing in than the terracing that is currently in place

4 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

This is correct.

Though I believe that Queens may be forced by the polis to put safer standing in than the terracing that is currently in place

That would be a ludicrous demand. If it did happen then Queens should ask why, since they've had people standing in the ground for decades with no issue. They've had Sevco fans stand on the away terrace without any issue, so any request to change the stadium would be idiotic and hopefully fought all the way.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That would be a ludicrous demand. If it did happen then Queens should ask why, since they've had people standing in the ground for decades with no issue. They've had Sevco fans stand on the away terrace without any issue, so any request to change the stadium would be idiotic and hopefully fought all the way.

I pretty much agree.

If Terregles Street was being pressed into regular use though, I think a tarting up would be in order.  It is actually in a fairly poor state.

19 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

Thanks! A good read.

Wish I had taken a photo of the coo shed at the time

I kinda hoped for a coo shed one that featured the Bradford and Bingley advert on the roof, but the Solicitors' Property Centre one is good too.

The first photo of the Falkirk game features a certain Mo Johnston lurking around the penalty spot I think.

36 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

This is correct.

Based on? I'd be surprised if the local police had any such thoughts. Generally they are very co-operative and we have a decent relationship with them. I can't see them having an issue with the ground if it meets licensing requirements and has been perfectly able to host Rangers, Hearts and HIbs multiple times in recent seasons. Nobody else is going to bring a bigger support other than Celtic obviously.

Don't know if there's been a national policing consideration on this though? I'm not even sure they legally could insist on it. If the stadium has a Safety Certificate from the Council (which it does) and is adequately licensed by the SFA (which it is) and the League rules don't insist on any particular change (which they don't) then I don't know on what grounds the police could force it, though they would have a right to input on how things are ticketed I guess.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Based on? I'd be surprised if the local police had any such thoughts. Generally they are very co-operative and we have a decent relationship with them. I can't see them having an issue with the ground if it meets licensing requirements and has been perfectly able to host Rangers, Hearts and HIbs multiple times in recent seasons. Nobody else is going to bring a bigger support other than Celtic obviously.

Don't know if there's been a national policing consideration on this though? I'm not even sure they legally could insist on it. If the stadium has a Safety Certificate from the Council (which it does) and is adequately licensed by the SFA (which it is) and the League rules don't insist on any particular change (which they don't) then I don't know on what grounds the police could force it, though they would have a right to input on how things are ticketed I guess.

Police Scotland were certainly considering enforcing some basic requirements for top level grounds, I'm not sure if it came to fruition. I remember reading it on Facebook a couple of years ago when a 16 team top flight was being discussed as Morton or Queens would have been promoted if it came into effect.

Plus Police Scotland may have allowed Palmerston to stay as it is right now as Rangers was a "one-off" in their opinion. If QoS were in the top flight, Rangers, Celtic as well as other clubs would be bringing larger supports on a regular basis.

17 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The floodlights in the Premiership and Championship need to be Silver standard. Doesn't detract from your point that nothing needs to be done, just that a Bronze level stadium licence isn't the only requirement for top level football.

17 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm guessing they ditched the utterly ridiculous requirement for undersoil heating. I remember we went a few years without a postponement of a home game before we got back into the 1st division just through our use of pitch covers. 

Archived