Changing football teams

Got a mate to give up being a rangers fan last season now attends ayr games every week .bought shirt ,season ticket etc .[emoji106]

Must've been a strange one for him when you played them in the cup[emoji23]

On 17/02/2017 at 14:10, killienick said:

If you ever fancy popping back to look at some trophies and hear tales of success then you're more than welcome, (as long as you go through quarantine first obviously).

ETA: What did your Dad say when you came out to him?

Since I told him, our relationship is basically broken. I don’t think he has ever gotten over it. 

Used to talk to him all the time about football. We both like Man United but he doesn’t talk to me about any football whatsoever now.  We both liked the tennis, golf and horse racing. Refuses to talk about any of those now either. It’s like everything we used to have in common he’s frozen out on that one decision I made.

I enjoyed going to the football with him, it was bonding but if I’m honest I never quite understood why a man who lived in Ayr his whole life supported Kilmarnock. I would have went with him to support any team, be it Kilmarnock, Rangers, Celtic, St Mirren.... whoever....just enjoyed the time.

However as I was about to have a kid of my own, that pushed me into doing what I had thought about for years on and off. I used to think as I drove by Somerset To pick him up “Why am I driving past this football club on my doorstep to go somewhere 11 miles away?”. I want my kid to grow up supporting the team from their town. To be proud of it like I am now. It feels right, and I half think I regret not doing it sooner but then I think not because I enjoyed that time with my dad.

Its so weird how some people react. I wasn’t expecting high fives, but when we see each other it’s basically pleasantries and weather talk. Ok if he never wanted to discuss Ayr or Kilmarnock that’s fine but that’s only a fraction of our shared interests and he’s chosen to freeze out all of them.

Its upsetting but I love Ayr United and rather than just blindly supporting a team because “its all I’ve known” or “It’s the direction I was pointed because someone else supports them”, I’ve taken the undoubtedly unusual and unorthodox decision to make the change at 30 and I couldn’t be happier. I’m now supporting MY team. I’VE made the choice and I’ve never looked back.

People who change clubs will never have the love of the club at heart would take very young fans out of that equation though.  Following a club for its fans should be an emotional experience whether that be success or disaster. This season has been exciting for us and will be pure joy when the league trophy is lifted doing that against your so called local rivals Morton will make it more special.  Next season will be a mixed bag of emoticons no doubt. Always take the good with the bad. 

On 20/10/2016 at 01:27, The Ginger Prince said:

A laddie who was a couple of years below me at school, went home and away with Hibs. Actually had his season ticket next to me for a while.

Next thing he declares he's a Rangers fan, has a season ticket for Ibrox and joined one of the lodges & now plays an instrument in their marches :lol:

Absolute nutjob.

To my shame, I actually flirted with being a Hearts fan when I was 10/11. Whole family are Hibs fans and where I lived, there was always loads of Hearts fans about compared to Hibs and the vast majority of my mates were Hearts fans. Plus I started rebelling against my dad because he's a p***k.

Thankfully that week or 2 passed me by, sure it was around the time Hibs beat Rangers (RIP) in the CIS semi on penalties.

Just read this and I know exactly who you are talking about.

Walloper of a laddie.

1 hour ago, Acrapplied said:

Since I told him, our relationship is basically broken. I don’t think he has ever gotten over it. 

Used to talk to him all the time about football. We both like Man United but he doesn’t talk to me about any football whatsoever now.  We both liked the tennis, golf and horse racing. Refuses to talk about any of those now either. It’s like everything we used to have in common he’s frozen out on that one decision I made.

I enjoyed going to the football with him, it was bonding but if I’m honest I never quite understood why a man who lived in Ayr his whole life supported Kilmarnock. I would have went with him to support any team, be it Kilmarnock, Rangers, Celtic, St Mirren.... whoever....just enjoyed the time.

However as I was about to have a kid of my own, that pushed me into doing what I had thought about for years on and off. I used to think as I drove by Somerset To pick him up “Why am I driving past this football club on my doorstep to go somewhere 11 miles away?”. I want my kid to grow up supporting the team from their town. To be proud of it like I am now. It feels right, and I half think I regret not doing it sooner but then I think not because I enjoyed that time with my dad.

Its so weird how some people react. I wasn’t expecting high fives, but when we see each other it’s basically pleasantries and weather talk. Ok if he never wanted to discuss Ayr or Kilmarnock that’s fine but that’s only a fraction of our shared interests and he’s chosen to freeze out all of them.

Its upsetting but I love Ayr United and rather than just blindly supporting a team because “its all I’ve known” or “It’s the direction I was pointed because someone else supports them”, I’ve taken the undoubtedly unusual and unorthodox decision to make the change at 30 and I couldn’t be happier. I’m now supporting MY team. I’VE made the choice and I’ve never looked back.

You're a fucking disgrace.

On 12/10/2016 at 02:10, HardcoreVibes said:

Has anybody had the experience of changing there football team? Or has anybody ever convinced there pals to part ways and follow there local football team or somebody else?

I'm originally from Irvine and now stay in Paisley and use to support Celtic all the way up till I was 18, I held season tickets and all sorts until one day I went f**k this I can't be bothered supporting a team I have no real connection with and all the extreme politics in the support and just got sick hearing about it and eventually got to the stage of hating them and most of the support because it's actually not about football.

I started following St Mirren when I was 20, my local team and one of my local teams back in Irvine anyway and haven't looked back, it's great to support somebody on your door step and the actual excitement you get winning the odd game as you aren't use to it opposed to winning everything and getting into all sorts of shite nothing to do with football.

I know a few stories of people taking there friends to there local teams and actually converting them from the old firm and it's actually brilliant and hope it continues before people get far too wrapped up in the old firm carry on.

So anybody got any stories to tell?

First time I've read this heartwarming tale. Anyone abandoning their support for either of the Old Old Firm on political and/or sectarian grounds are to be applauded. Anything in the opposite direction is electric chair material IMO.

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

First time I've read this heartwarming tale. Anyone abandoning their support for either of the Old Old Firm on political and/or sectarian grounds are to be applauded. Anything in the opposite direction is electric chair material IMO.

Whilst you’ve abandoned your country to live with spiders, snakes and wallabies. 

Traitor.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

People who change clubs will never have the love of the club at heart 

Calling bullshit on this. As I've said before I abandoned Celtic for Falkirk and I can assure you I absolutely love my club. In fact one of my best experiences supporting them was when we papped them out the cup on penalties at Parkhead. 

Been in tears at relegation from SPL and after the Caley cup final. Been in tears of joy when we were promoted to the SPL and at some of Sir Bob's last minute winners in the last couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, BendtnerBairn said:

I used to go to Stenny games with my Uncle who took me along. Got to about 17 and realised what I was paying to watch and stopped enjoying football.

Started supporting the Bairns at the start of 13/14 and its been first class ever since.

You're also a fucking disgrace.

1 hour ago, BendtnerBairn said:

I used to go to Stenny games with my Uncle who took me along. Got to about 17 and realised what I was paying to watch and stopped enjoying football.

Started supporting the Bairns at the start of 13/14 and its been much of the same ever since.

FTFYM8

You are an absolute weirdo who doesn't like football if you change your team. Regardless if its switching from an old firm side or not.

Kindae agree with this to an extent, but most folk who do would just no longer be supporting any fitba at all.

1 hour ago, Nadroj said:

You are an absolute weirdo who doesn't like football if you change your team. Regardless if its switching from an old firm side or not.

Bit unfair, Brother. I co opted The Rangers to blend in with the rest of Junior football.