Changing football teams

My Mums side of the family are Dundee supporters and my Dad's a United supporter, I was raised a Dee and My wee brother was raised as an Arab. However, my wee brother switched to supporting Dundee when he was about 12 or something.

I think it was mainly because my dad didn't really go to many games at all, but I was going to Dundee games fairly often with family members and he switched after he started to come with us and got to watch football that wasn't on the telly.

• 3 months later...

I've lived in Ayr my whole life but my dad is a Kilmarnock supporter. I went to Killie from 2005-2016.

After a lot of soul searching over literally the last few years, I decided to start supporting my local team, Ayr United in the summer. Bought a season ticket. Best decision I have ever made. Feels right.

a scouse relative of mine took me to my first ever game age of 4 at anfield and have been returning since, never turned back on being a liverpool supporter but i have a celtic mad family on one side of my family and rangers on the other side. 

I can remember being bought a celtic and rangers top for christmas one year, you would of thought i would have ended up succumbing to one of the two eventually but even at a young age i never ever considered changing teams

3 hours ago, Acrapplied said:

I've lived in Ayr my whole life but my dad is a Kilmarnock supporter. I went to Killie from 2005-2016.

After a lot of soul searching over literally the last few years, I decided to start supporting my local team, Ayr United in the summer. Bought a season ticket. Best decision I have ever made. Feels right.

^^^

cant afford the bus fare type post 

4 hours ago, Acrapplied said:

^^^ craigkillie IMO.

Edited by RiG

My dad lived in Leicester until he was mid-teens when he moved up to Airdrie.  With the best will in the world, he has never been a particular fan of Scottish football.  Leicester fan all his life, and his dad played for them back in the 50s (I think) before he got injured and had to give it up.  Anyway, I grew up not too into football.  I picked an English team, and because I liked red (that's the only reason I can remember there being, honestly) I picked Man Utd.  Could well have been because they were winning too, I was a young kid.  I remember being the only one wanting them to win in the 99 CL final at school, and it was quite a moment when they did.  But as I got older, I realised I didn't really care what happened to them.  If they were playing I would rather they won, but even that faded.  I vaguely remember wanting a Rangers top when I was really young, purely because most of the people around me were of the blue persausion, and had one.  I didn't really have any affinity for them though, or Celtic.

One of my best friends was a Jags fan, as his father was (and probably his father before him).  He lives down South, but was managing to get up for a few games.  I went along to a few with him in our promotion season, and had moved into Glasgow a wee bit before that.  Decided I'd get a season ticket the season after no matter what happened, then watched them win the league at Falkirk.  Have had the same seat in the JHS with my pal's mum and dad (and him when he rarely makes it up) ever since.  We haven't had the greatest few years, but I feel a huge amount more affinity with Thistle over the few years I've had my season ticket than I do with any other club.  It never crossed my mind to support one of them.

11 hours ago, Acrapplied said:

Your dad has failed you.

9 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

a liverpool supporter but i have a celtic mad family on one side of my family and rangers on the other side. 

Congratulations on instantly becoming P&B's most hated poster.

Sorry folks, but alot in this thread has given me a roaring minter.

People who have mates that swapped from 'smaller clubs' to the Old Firm being lambasted, whereas when vice versa happens it's greeted with applause. So angry at the OF its a minter.

I dislike the OF intensely. However  i'm a Dundee fan and so have the last few generations of my family been. I love the club and couldn't really give a shit about the reasons why anyone else supports a club.

I'm content with the club i support and don't need to vent my anger at not winning through embarrassing hard feelings.

Half you fuds probably support English teams to make up for your deep disatisfaction at your actual clubs position.

Thank you.

Hope your dad leathers you.

7 hours ago, forameus said:

My dad lived in Leicester until he was mid-teens when he moved up to Airdrie.  With the best will in the world, he has never been a particular fan of Scottish football.  Leicester fan all his life, and his dad played for them back in the 50s (I think) before he got injured and had to give it up.  Anyway, I grew up not too into football.  I picked an English team, and because I liked red (that's the only reason I can remember there being, honestly) I picked Man Utd.  Could well have been because they were winning too, I was a young kid.  I remember being the only one wanting them to win in the 99 CL final at school, and it was quite a moment when they did.  But as I got older, I realised I didn't really care what happened to them.  If they were playing I would rather they won, but even that faded.  I vaguely remember wanting a Rangers top when I was really young, purely because most of the people around me were of the blue persausion, and had one.  I didn't really have any affinity for them though, or Celtic.

One of my best friends was a Jags fan, as his father was (and probably his father before him).  He lives down South, but was managing to get up for a few games.  I went along to a few with him in our promotion season, and had moved into Glasgow a wee bit before that.  Decided I'd get a season ticket the season after no matter what happened, then watched them win the league at Falkirk.  Have had the same seat in the JHS with my pal's mum and dad (and him when he rarely makes it up) ever since.  We haven't had the greatest few years, but I feel a huge amount more affinity with Thistle over the few years I've had my season ticket than I do with any other club.  It never crossed my mind to support one of them.

These are the fucking glory years m8 :lol:

Sorry folks, but alot in this thread has given me a roaring minter.
People who have mates that swapped from 'smaller clubs' to the Old Firm being lambasted, whereas when vice versa happens it's greeted with applause. So angry at the OF its a minter.
I dislike the OF intensely. However  i'm a Dundee fan and so have the last few generations of my family been. I love the club and couldn't really give a shit about the reasons why anyone else supports a club.
I'm content with the club i support and don't need to vent my anger at not winning through embarrassing hard feelings.
Half you fuds probably support English teams to make up for your deep disatisfaction at your actual clubs position.
Thank you.

Is this you preparing everyone for your inevitable switch to supporting Rangers..

Having an 'English team' is one of the most childish things in the world

When I was at Primary school, 99% supported Aberdeen and then also rocked about in Man Utd/Liverpool/Newcastle tops

Fair enough when you're a child but there's very few things more tragic than seeing grown men in Scotland actively supporting English sides. It's better than being a Sellick or Sevco fan, mind. 

Having an 'English team' is one of the most childish things in the world
When I was at Primary school, 99% supported Aberdeen and then also rocked about in Man Utd/Liverpool/Newcastle tops
Fair enough when you're a child but there's very few things more tragic than seeing grown men in Scotland actively supporting English sides. It's better than being a Sellick or Sevco fan, mind. 

Absolutely this.

I cringe when I hear Scottish folk talking about English football. Someone at work yesterday told me they were inconsolable watching arsenal the other night. He was from Inverness.

And don't get me started on c***s talking about their English fantasy football team.

'Aye i transferred in James Milner and he got me an assist, made my weekend'

So much cringe.

f**k English football. I'd even go as far to say that supporting the OF is better than supporting some English team you have no connection with. At least they've picked the right country. 

I've also got a couple of mates who used to be the unbearable Celtic only, don't care about the rest of Scottish football sort of guys, but you get them in the loop of the mad shit that happens up here and they soon bought into it. Now, even though they're still Celtic fans, they watch Scottish football over English and know about all the teams etc. 

Around 2003 my brother brought a Celtic supporting friend to a Renfrewshire Cup Final with us in the Caley stand. The guy had even been to Europe watching Celtic - and still bore the scars of the night they were horsed by Neuchatel Xamax. He enjoyed the experience (winning 1-0 through a Greacen header would have helped), saw the light and from then on became one of our usual crowd for the drive to the away games, including a fantastic late evening drinking in Berwick. He doesn't make many games these days but I still see him from time to time at Scapa.

My dad never actually had a Scottish club till I was born, he watched a lot of Scottish football but never really had a team, followed a lot of Dunfermline because of my uncle but never supported them. He supported Leeds, classic glory hunting back in the day.

Anyway when I was a lot younger I liked Celtic, mainly because of Larsson. My dad didnt want me supporting the old firm so took me to see Partick Thistle, Dumbarton and Stirling.

Mustve been about 2004 I went to see them all, can remember the games. Thistle lost at home to QOS and Dumbarton lost at home to Berwick. I remember that the fire alarm went during that game and everyone had to get on the pitch.

Anyway, went to Stirling - Ayr and Stirling won and I really enjoyed the whole experience. Been supporting Stirling since and wouldn't change it for the world.