Changing football teams

9 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

History lesson. In Olde Sneck Caley and Thistle lingered in the depths of the Highland League. In those days the majority of Caley / Thistle supporters chose to follow "big" teams in the top Division. Most chose the Old Firm but quite a few followed Aberdeen. When people from down South moved to Inverness they followed Caley / Thistle as their "wee" team. The large majority of terrace dwellers voted against the merger whilst the "yes" votes were carried by the "fat cats" and the "traitors in the stands". They were dubbed refuseniks and many chose to jettison Caley / Thistle and return to their original choices. Quite a few remarkably took off to Dungwall. There are still a "core" of us who follow ICT but not so many. It took me three years of spite before I came back. Hail, Hail. :P

I well aware of this. If you'd read my comment properly then you'd know I said that I knew no one who decided to support the Old Firm because of the merger. 

I did however say that it wouldn't surprise me as Inverness is full of shitebags, that point you did confirm.

The old man gave in to years of nagging and took me to a Celtic game when I turned 13, and absolutely loathed every second of it. Dull wouldn't even begin to describe it. About a year later a pal of mine, who was also a Celtic 'supporter', suggested we headed down to Love Street, and haven't looked back since (well, apart from that stadium, miss it dearly despite only attending for a couple of years). Developed a fondness for the Dees during a five year stint in Dundee, but wouldn't go as far as saying I was a fan, it was more down to the astounding arrogance of part-time DABs in Broughty Ferry that pushed me to Dens with a couple of guys from work.

Probably until the age of 10 i was loosely a Rangers fan, Very Loosely as i only watched the odd game on telly and wasn't even allowed the tops. 

I got asked along to Mcdiarmid by my pal who's a big saints fan and that was it, Dad never really bothered telling me who to support but he did mention He preferred me supporting saints over a team from Glasgow. 

As an add on to my earlier post, I ensured through abuse that none of my kids supported OF teams.

This involved booting them up the backside, smashing a mug, taking a top back to the shop for a refund as an alternative to just burning it, and various other acts of discipline.

It worked though, and I'd do it again, childline or no.

I was a Rangers fan until I was 16. When I found out that Scott McDonald's last gasp double had given Rangers the title, I found out on the golf course and that I didn't give anywhere near the toss that I should have. That planted the seed over the summer and opted for a change to the Gorgie.

Good thing it happened during the George Burley 8 game winning start to the following season and this new version of Rangers are a gang, because I'd hate to be accused of being a gloryhunter.

Never really "supported" as such however all 4 of my uncles (hardcore Rangers fans) used to buy me tops, goalie gloves, mugs, posters all brandishing the rangers logo for every birthday and Christmas till I was about 12. Never really even watched them until I was taken to a mid week game vs killie (got a day off school so what 11 year old wouldn't go). Went to a lot of ross county games but back then was never really a team you "supported" if someone were to ask who you supported and you said "county" it'd be followed by "aye but Rangers or Celtic?". Forward on a few year I started going to near every Ross county game, converted my brother also who had a similar upbringing. Convinced uncles to start taking their young boys to county home games so they don't grow up thinking football is a tv show. Currently in the process of converting 2 of my friends (1 sevco & 1 Seltik) they come to maybe every other close away day and occasional home games. Obviously you'll still see the "hail hail" and "WATP" statuses on facebook from them both but they've recently started saying "I like seeing county win vs any team other than Celtic/Rangers" and have even started singing county songs at games. The recent 3-2 win over the caley tramps has defo got a bit of passion out of them.

There is hope yet of ridding their souls of their sinful ways, give me another year and I'll promise season tickets will be in hand

On 12/10/2016 at 08:41, mathematics said:

One of the boys I went to school with was a big Celtic fan. Used to go to a lot of games with his brother.

One day, he and his brother went to a game in their work uniform and got verbally abused for the entire match by Celtic fans.

He is now a Killie fan.

No prizes for guessing his occupation.

Rangers football player?

On 12 October 2016 at 10:02, Mackie The Staggie said:

.......apparently a Caley fan once said we enjoy seeing them lose more than County winning.

Nah you're wrong mate. Everybody and their dug says it. 

Edited by The Mantis

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

What's the view if somebody moves to a new town.

For example, if a St Johnstone fan moves from Perth to Kilmarnock - should they start supporting Kilmarnock or continue with St Johnstone?

Theres more chance of someone changing from Celtic to Rangers

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

For example, if a St Johnstone fan moves from Perth to Kilmarnock - should they start supporting Kilmarnock or continue with St Johnstone?

No. I've lived in Aberdeen and currently stay in Dundee. Have always been a Pars fan and always will be. First time I went to East End Park was 1990 and hopefully the last time will be at least 2090 (although I'd be 106 then).

When you have your team that never changes no matter where you stay.

If you can change them they were never actually your team in the first place IMO

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If you can change them they were never actually your team in the first place IMO

A truly stunning insight.

One of the boys I went to school with was a big Celtic fan. Used to go to a lot of games with his brother.

One day, he and his brother went to a game in their work uniform and got verbally abused for the entire match by Celtic fans.

He is now a Killie fan.

No prizes for guessing his occupation.

Travelling deodorant salesmen?