Changing football teams

5 hours ago, MikeyWellFan said:

Some weirdo lad I went to school with went from Rangers to Gretna back to Rangers and last I saw him he was supporting Man City.

Strange wan. 

Someone better warn Man City,

This c**t sounds like a jinx.

I was into Rangers as a boy as I had only really just gotten into football, and that was my brother's team. But my brother took me to Cappielow, thinking it'd be better for me to go see the local team instead and never really looked back from there.

Edited by Randy Giles

From around 7 or 8 to 13 I supported Celtic. I attended a catholic school.

When I was 13 I switched to rangers (they were winning trebles then) and I used to get the train through to Glasgow for home games.

Remember the pre-season competitions between teams like Rangers, Man City, Southampton and Partick Thistle.

I recall going to school football training on the public park in Perth wearing a Rangers strip and getting called in to the headmaster's office next day and being told I wouldn't be representing the school wearing 'that article.'

When I was 15 or 16 wee Hodgie (of Stanley fame, wee Perthshire shithole village) converted to St Johnstone and I followed after that.

Haven't changed since. Haven't thought of it. Never will. Can't stand the OF.

Although living in Paisley in the early 70's I was a celtic fan as everyone at school was. About 1976 a neighbour volunteered to take me to St Mirren games home and and away and when we were promoted under Fergie I chose to stick with Saints. My dad had been a Saints fan but was long dead by the time I took interest in football hence my initial dubious choice.

In Inverness there are those who claim they supported either Caledonian OR Inverness Thistle but never supported the merger - hence their decision to support one of the old firm instead.

Not sure what they would do if Celtic and Rangers ever decided to merge.

In Inverness there are those who claim they supported either Caledonian OR Inverness Thistle but never supported the merger - hence their decision to support one of the old firm instead.

Not sure what they would do if Celtic and Rangers ever decided to merge.

I've never heard of anyone using that excuse before. Granted they've admitted supporting the Old Firm, but never because of the merger.

There's loads of shitebags in Inverness though.

4 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

I was into Rangers as a boy as I had only really just gotten into football, and that was my brother's team. But my brother took me to Cappielow, thinking it'd be better for me to go see the local team instead and never really looked back from there.

This is very refreshing. I'm surrounded by total sellouts who decided to support Rangers despite the fact that my brother, my father, my uncle, their uncle, both my grandfathers and my great grandfather all went to Cappielow regularly. One relative married into a bigoted family during the Moonbeam era and the majority of the family became complete embarrassments within about five years.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

United won the Scottish cup when I was still a greeting ball of fanny-dough (93/94?) and were parading in the city square, where my mum was lured into buying me a united scarf. It made it as far as my house where my Dad kindly placed it in the bin, ensuring a life of footballing misery as a Dundee fan.

I always wonder who I'd support if Dundee were to become no more. Probably Hibs, but the thought of me wearing another teams colours gives me the boke.

4 hours ago, andrewh said:

From around 7 or 8 to 13 I supported Celtic. I attended a catholic school.

When I was 13 I switched to rangers (they were winning trebles then) and I used to get the train through to Glasgow for home games.

Remember the pre-season competitions between teams like Rangers, Man City, Southampton and Partick Thistle.

I recall going to school football training on the public park in Perth wearing a Rangers strip and getting called in to the headmaster's office next day and being told I wouldn't be representing the school wearing 'that article.'

When I was 15 or 16 wee Hodgie (of Stanley fame, wee Perthshire shithole village) converted to St Johnstone and I followed after that.

Haven't changed since. Haven't thought of it. Never will. Can't stand the OF.

THE HEADMASTER - FUCKING LEGEND :thumsup2

I've never switched but I know of a few people who have. Never made sense to me except in the case of kids.

I grew up in Aberdeen but I've been a Celtic fan since before I could talk. Dad's from Glasgow and the rest of the family are from Barra in the Outer Hebrides, where you're hard pressed to find anyone who isn't a Celtic supporter. I don't mind seeing Aberdeen do well, but I would never think of switching. And I haven't lived there in a long time.

I grew up supporting Celtic until I was 16.

Dad is a Celtic fan but due to his work, monetary reasons and not wanting me at a young age to be immersed in all the bigoted shite that was more prevalent at the time - we only ever went to two Celtic games.

I just sort of went along with it when I was young and had a couple of tops but when I was 16 I went to see Thistle away at Forfar with my pal and that was it from that point on.

I still get a bit of light-hearted taunting but I honestly couldn't care, I went with what I felt.

3 minutes ago, Meatwad said:

I grew up supporting Celtic until I was 16.

Dad is a Celtic fan but due to his work, monetary reasons and not wanting me at a young age to be immersed in all the bigoted shite that was more prevalent at the time - we only ever went to two Celtic games.

I just sort of went along with it when I was young and had a couple of tops but when I was 16 I went to see Thistle away at Forfar with my pal and that was it from that point on.

I still get a bit of light-hearted taunting but I honestly couldn't care, I went with what I felt.

You actually seem like a decent human being.

My granda gone from being on the committee at Saltcoats Vics (junior thicko) to Ayr, my uncle supported Killie so he took him there until he was old enough to go himself (didn't support them but I'm using it), back to Ayr and now that he's too old for away games and some home games in the winter he seems to be following Celtic on the telly whenever they are on.  

He bought me my first strip before I was even interested in football and it was a Rangers (rip) one and I think i 'supported' them for the season until he took me to Somerset.  

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I am thinking of changing my international team. Any ideas?

preferably someone who doesn't play in pink.

The Faroes are relatively local, and seem to give it their best. Think they'd take us all?

Anyway, going back to clubs...I'm sure the auld duffers among us can remember the days when the Big Yin was a Partick fan.

I only ever supported Hibs despite my dad being a "Celtic fan" he was an Irish Catholic so it was just the way it was for him. Hibs supporting uncle bought us strips each year and took us to the odd game. Started heading to games with mates when old enough, staying in Leith made it easier. 

When I was a kid I was bought C*ltic shirts by my Grandparents who were of that persuasion. 

My Dad grew up supporting Thistle but hadn't been for years, once him and my Mum split up, he was looking for something for us to do on a Saturday. Started taking me to Firhill when we won the 2nd division and 1st division back to back. That had me hooked. Does that make me a glory hunter?

Proud to say I've actually converted 4 people into Thistle fans since...including my Gran who used to buy me Celtic tops. Unfortunately my step dad couldn't be saved. 

18 hours ago, Fullerene said:

In Inverness there are those who claim they supported either Caledonian OR Inverness Thistle but never supported the merger - hence their decision to support one of the old firm instead. Not sure what they would do if Celtic and Rangers ever decided to merge.

17 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I've never heard of anyone using that excuse before. Granted they've admitted supporting the Old Firm, but never because of the merger. There's loads of shitebags in Inverness though.

History lesson. In Olde Sneck Caley and Thistle lingered in the depths of the Highland League. In those days the majority of Caley / Thistle supporters chose to follow "big" teams in the top Division. Most chose the Old Firm but quite a few followed Aberdeen. When people from down South moved to Inverness they followed Caley / Thistle as their "wee" team. The large majority of terrace dwellers voted against the merger whilst the "yes" votes were carried by the "fat cats" and the "traitors in the stands". They were dubbed refuseniks and many chose to jettison Caley / Thistle and return to their original choices. Quite a few remarkably took off to Dungwall. There are still a "core" of us who follow ICT but not so many. It took me three years of spite before I came back. Hail, Hail. :P