Changing football teams

14 minutes ago, Acrapplied said:

Thanks man, really appreciate the kind words. It was by no means an easy decision for me as I know the whole  culture of “You can never change your team” is engrained in football fans brains. But as much as I enjoyed my time there, i never felt Kilmarnock was “my team” and never understood supporting them really.

Just got to the point where supporting them just because my dad did wasn’t a good enough reason and having kids of my own gave me the push.

I have no animosity towards Killie at all but making that switch couldn’t have felt more right. And at the end of the day, that’s all that matters. Life is too short to worry about what other people think of it. 

Doing it at 30, the only drawback is I can’t share the memories of players,  goals, matches etc that people talk about from the past and would expect me to join in with due to my age but I guess we all start somewhere so as each year passes the memories get made.

Dont get me wrong, I could never change my team, but that's because I love Killie and always have since my dad first took me at 4, if you never felt the same bond, even after seeing us win a final against Celtic, you never would.  So no one can really grudge you it.

Your kids will at least be in nice and early to get the bond and memories you missed out on. 

The guy who founded the Accies HAFSWO  Supporters Organisation in the early 1980's and was one of those who helped to save the club in 1970  turned 3-4 years ago into a Celtic fan in his mid 50's;his political pals may have had a part in this as the guy is cult daft.

I also know two guys who were Accies stalwarts for over 20 years who turned into Well fans in their late 30's early 40's-can't work that one out either.

Conversely,I know a few who have changed in recent years from supporting the Old Firm and are now Accies Season Ticket holders along with their kids.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

When I was wee, there were a lot of filthy fuckers at school with Hunsco/Timtic tops on. Despite my old da’ being a Hibs radge he guided me in the right direction morally and spiritually (and besides he couldn’t be arsed trying to get to Edinburgh from Elgin so Aberdeen was a good excuse for him to go drinking on a supporters bus).

I was overjoyed when Hibs won the Scottish cup mainly because my dad got to see it just before he died*.

*hes not technically “dead” but he’s 85 so there or there abouts.

Guest JTS98

I know two who changed.

One guy I went to school with was an Accies fan all the way through school and even when we started uni. Then I lost touch with him for a couple of years until I bumped into him in 2005 as I was walking to Parkhead from the city centre to watch Hearts play Celtic (1-1 game, Skacel scored). Was utterly baffled to see him. He was Accies home and away, always had been. Turned out he'd binned the Accies and was in his second year as a Celtic season ticket holder. The worst thing is, he's now one of those really smug Celtic supporters all over social media etc. Those of us who have known him like to comment on everything reminding him (and his new Celtic pals) that he's a ship jumper. Disgusting.

Another guy who used to go on the same Hearts bus as me stopped coming for a couple of seasons and then picked up watching Rangers. His first game as a Rangers season ticket holder was when we beat them 2-1 on the opening day of the Championship season. Beautiful.

Utter wallopers.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Another guy who used to go on the same Hearts bus as me stopped coming for a couple of seasons and then picked up watching Rangers. His first game as a Rangers season ticket holder was when we beat them 2-1 on the opening day of the Championship season. Beautiful.

So he went from Diet Rangers to full fat?

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

So he went from Diet Rangers to full fat?

Coincidentally, he did actually get fat in the couple of years between Hearts and Rangers.

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I guess you're quite young.  Certainly when I grew up in Chapelhall and then Motherwell the notion that, "Much like everyone in Lanarkshire, you're from a Rangers family or a Celtic family." was preposterous.  I went to school with plenty of Motherwell fans.  Has that changed?

You also said, "Once I hit high school and everyone started the sectarian patter it made me bitter about football in general".   Again, I wonder about this.  I went to Fir Park a lot in the late 60s/early 70s - on days when I wasn't taken to Ibrox by my auld man - and, for sure, loyalist songs were sung by the Fir Park faithful.

So I'd say you're talking shite.

Steady on,old man. Have you not considered the possibility that people growing up 30 years after you might have had slightly different experiences?

I changed teams around 2012 from Rangers to Sevco. I just couldnt resist the lure of Sevco, at the time they had guys like Kevin Kyle and Ross Perry, and dont get me started on Charles Green, I had never seen such integrity in one man.

Rangers just seemed like a busted flush at this point. Anyways, it has proven to be a great decision, we have went on to win 54 league titles in 6 years, a feat that is unmatched globally, and we are now the envy of world football.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I am a man of strong principles. I refuse to eat lamb as I like animals to have a decent innings before I eat the fuckers.

I'll come back when I think of another one. 

Bet you eat eggs though, fucking hypocrite.

Knew a boy in school who was a Rangers fan. Don’t know if he went to games but he had shirts. All of sudden he stopped supporting them and was an “Arsenal only” fan and had given up on Scottish Football

Couple years after school, next thing I know he’s an Aberdeen fan. Imagine the rest of the Aberdeen contingent from school we were mutual friends with give him plenty grief

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Steady on,old man. Have you not considered the possibility that people growing up 30 years after you might have had slightly different experiences?

Well of course - which is why I asked his age.  Still, Motherwell do have a long history of singing party songs.  I see, too, that The Pride of Motherwell Flute Band, founded by Motherwell fans, are still going strong and still wearing uniforms based on your team's colours.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2016 at 20:31, Monkey Tennis said:

My attendance at a Catholic School served only to cement my utter loathing of Celtic.

so you hate Celtic because you hate catholics?

oddly.... your comment is completely out of sync with the other comments in thread at that time.