Arbroath vs Forfar Athletic

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference between that and just calling him names though and having undeserved digs.

Results have been decent I think. To win the league you're usually looking at getting somewhere around 2 points a game, were not far off that in the first 9. Doesn't matter how you get them.

Think we were extremely unlucky to draw with Cowden/Berwick and Annan. Even though we came from behind in the Annan game, the Cowdenbeath game was just ridiculous. Probably fortunate to get a draw with Montrose though. Edinburgh draw was fair.

After seeing every game minus Elgin away I don't think we've much to fear from other sides. Forfar look like they've just had an extremely good run, don't think the teams all that though. Although I've only seen highlights Elgin for me look like one of the best and fully expect them to challenge, would've said Clyde too but after losing Easton I don't think they have it in them. Mo starting to look extremely poor, Edinburgh weren't great (wouldn't mind See at Gayf in the future), Berwick were tough and organised but not a league winning team, same with Annan and Stirling.

Two really tough long journeys now though so it'll be interesting to see how we cope. If we could get even 4 points that would be a great return, don't think I've ever seen us play well in Berwick.

Exactly the same arguments/debates over Campbell happened week in week out on Forfar threads. If he hasn't any money to throw about he's knackered and if he has he'll make hard work of it with head scratching tactics and team selections. 

Good players help make good managers!!! Personally don't think he's done much wrong subbie wise or tactics wise either, find it surprising some people think that. I think Sukur playing over Phillips has had me wondering a few times.

Some of the stuff that was initially a so called head scratcher has really worked though, like Scott playing up top and Davie Gold at RB!!!! Nobody seems to give him credit for that kind of stuff though.

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought the Ref was very good yesterday. Both penalty decisions were spot on and he in control of the game throughout. Only criticism would be it should have only been a yellow and not a red. But I can see why he gave it

After watching the highlights (good quality btw), the ref got the first penalty wrong. Swankie did foul Kader but the offence was outside the box. Second penalty was correct decision but the the red card was beyond fathomable, even a yellow would have been rough.

Not clear from the camera angle but obvious from where I was standing that at the first goal the ball was definitely going wide until Coxy slid in. The second goal was quality but the free kick that led to it was given entirely the wrong way, not the only time in the match the ref gave a foul for Arbroath when their player fell over the opponent they had just fouled. I had a perfect view, shame the highlights don't show this. All in all the better team on the day won in the end but the red card was pivotal. 

The Loons need to recover quickly or it'll be repeat of last season but if you'd said that after the first quarter we'd have won seven and lost two I'd be happy to say the least. Losing to Montrose was worse as they are crap and it was at home. Losing to Arbroath was always on the cards given the staffing circumstances and not only would Dick have the Lichties up for it they looked like a team that will be top four come the end of April. 

4 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

After watching the highlights (good quality btw), the ref got the first penalty wrong. Swankie did foul Kader but the offence was outside the box. Second penalty was correct decision but the the red card was beyond fathomable, even a yellow would have been rough.

Not clear from the camera angle but obvious from where I was standing that at the first goal the ball was definitely going wide until Coxy slid in. The second goal was quality but the free kick that led to it was given entirely the wrong way, not the only time in the match the ref gave a foul for Arbroath when their player fell over the opponent they had just fouled. I had a perfect view, shame the highlights don't show this. All in all the better team on the day won in the end but the red card was pivotal. 

The Loons need to recover quickly or it'll be repeat of last season but if you'd said that after the first quarter we'd have won seven and lost two I'd be happy to say the least. Losing to Montrose was worse as they are crap and it was at home. Losing to Arbroath was always on the cards given the staffing circumstances and not only would Dick have the Lichties up for it they looked like a team that will be top four come the end of April. 

Pretty much sums it up, though you can't blame the ref for giving the first penalty as it was right on the edge of the box.

Stupid foul from Swankie and his positional play seconds before the foul was dire.

Yet another game that we have thrown away, once TOB went off we were always going to struggle as the midfield is powder puff. Why he didn't put on a full back for Baine is baffling, and why he didn't play Coxy up top is even more baffling...right back??? The whole should we have sacked Dick or not is in the past...the question that still remains is how long will Bollan last, remember he was brought in to keep us in the 1st div and cup not win us the 2nd division. We require 2 victories over Edinburgh now or the murmurs shall begin!!

Yet another game that we have thrown away, once TOB went off we were always going to struggle as the midfield is powder puff. Why he didn't put on a full back for Baine is baffling, and why he didn't play Coxy up top is even more baffling...right back??? The whole should we have sacked Dick or not is in the past...the question that still remains is how long will Bollan last, remember he was brought in to keep us in the 1st div and cup not win us the 2nd division. We require 2 victories over Edinburgh now or the murmurs shall begin!!

A bit early for "Bolan must go" is it not !! Ridiculous.

Your top of the league you lost the match with 10 men would the result have been different if Bain wasn't sent off ?

The previous week you had a very poor result granted.

However I am confident you will the league over the course of the season you will be the most consistent team, Lister will gradually become a standout as the season goes on and Bain is very capable of being a good football player as is Swankie. You also have decent keeper in Grant Adam. When i look at the other teams they don't seem to have as much quality.

Your top of the league you lost the match with 10 men would the result have been different if Bain wasn't sent off ?

The previous week you had a very poor result granted.

However I am confident you will the league over the course of the season you will be the most consistent team, Lister will gradually become a standout as the season goes on and Bain is very capable of being a good football player as is Swankie. You also have decent keeper in Grant Adam. When i look at the other teams they don't seem to have as much quality.

* don't seem to have as much ex Airdrie players

The first penalty is as clear as you will get, great play by Omar to go between the two players, he is pulled back but stays on his feet, ref lets it go then there is separate contact from Swankie where he clearly impedes Omar. Stick on penalty

Just on Swankie, I know he is getting older but he looks a shadow of the player he was. Was it an off day on Saturday or he is slowing up? Cannot fathom why he was playing so deep, to me he is always a striker.

Deliberately dunting a boy who is about to shoot remains a red though. It's not like he just mistimed the tackle.

Correct. If it's a genuine challenge it's a yellow, I don't know if it was which is why it's harsh, but you can see why the ref thought he'd just taken him out on purpose.

The first penalty is as clear as you will get, great play by Omar to go between the two players, he is pulled back but stays on his feet, ref lets it go then there is separate contact from Swankie where he clearly impedes Omar. Stick on penalty.

Ehhhhhhh??

Wasnae even in the box.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Correct. If it's a genuine challenge it's a yellow, I don't know if it was which is why it's harsh, but you can see why the ref thought he'd just taken him out on purpose.

Agree with this.

Originally I was howling with laughter when the red came out (until we missed our second penalty, at which point I became a seething mess) and I thought it was never a red considering the new rules. However, on reflection the highlights seem to show the referee actually made the right choice. If it was a genuine challenge which was mis-timed it would be a yellow, but it looks to me like Bain has clearly barged Doris in the back and made no attempt to play the ball, and therefore by the letter of the law it's a red card.

Amused me greatly to hear a few folk talking about 'last man' challenge etc - a rule that hasn't existed for several seasons, and is now so out of date the rule which replaced it has now been superseded:lol:. Up there with folk raging about players being offside from a throw in and a keeper taking more than 4 steps with the ball in his hands :D 

Archived