Arbroath vs Forfar Athletic

I thought the Ref was very good yesterday. Both penalty decisions were spot on and he in control of the game throughout. Only criticism would be it should have only been a yellow and not a red. But I can see why he gave it

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the Ref was very good yesterday. Both penalty decisions were spot on and he in control of the game throughout. Only criticism would be it should have only been a yellow and not a red. But I can see why he gave it

yes, he did get both penalty decisions correct, am not sure if the rest of his decisions were spot on, he was no better or worse than most refs, they really need to try and let the game flow a little more, better use of the advantage rule would help

The chopping and changing I put more down to it being a completely new team and also certain players not performing. 

I agree with Simon that he simply has to go with that team next week. The only thing I would say is that skelly is the one I would feel slightly sorry for, looked good again when he came on yesterday.

Imo DC is still trying to find the combination that works. He chops and changes the team and some bits work better and some don't. When it all clicks we should be some side. Yesterday there was more good than bad and a 2-0 win against the runaway leaders is not to be sneezed at. Completely agree Little and Hammy are the best option at CB. Let's start a wee cup run next week. C'mon lichties.

Taking nothing away from Arbroath as they thoroughly deserved to win yesterday, as Forfar were just not at the races at all.
Bollan needs to get a finger out and bring in some new players as we just don't have the strength in depth at all.

A few players should be having a look at themselves and wondering how they are keeping a place in the starting 11.
Substitutions yesterday were quite baffling also, Can't see why you would take of Josh Peters when you need a goal?
Also what is Bollans issue with Foxy? Seems to be overlooked every single game, the game yesterday was screaming out for him to come on and try control the game and dictate the play as Arbroath attacks just kept flooding in.

1 hour ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Taking nothing away from Arbroath as they thoroughly deserved to win yesterday, as Forfar were just not at the races at all.
Bollan needs to get a finger out and bring in some new players as we just don't have the strength in depth at all.

A few players should be having a look at themselves and wondering how they are keeping a place in the starting 11.
Substitutions yesterday were quite baffling also, Can't see why you would take of Josh Peters when you need a goal?
Also what is Bollans issue with Foxy? Seems to be overlooked every single game, the game yesterday was screaming out for him to come on and try control the game and dictate the play as Arbroath attacks just kept flooding in.

Forfar did win on the count of Hoof balls though...!  Are you guys still happy with Bollan? 

Forfar did win on the count of Hoof balls though...!  Are you guys still happy with Bollan? 

I never wanted Bollan from the start, fair enough we went on a great run at the start of the season, but whenever something is going wrong in a game he never knows how to change things, looks so confused, and some of the changes are baffling!.

Although it was the correct decision to let Campbell go, I would of liked to have seen Petrie get a chance.

1 minute ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

I never wanted Bollan from the start, fair enough we went on a great run at the start of the season, but whenever something is going wrong in a game he never knows how to change things, looks so confused, and some of the changes are baffling!.

Although it was the correct decision to let Campbell go, I would of liked to have seen Petrie get a chance.

We went through a similar situation 2 years ago, well documented so say no more!  When Bollan took over Forfar were not in the bottom 2 and still in the Scottish Cup, it will be very interesting to see if he can turn the situation around... I was looking forward to seeing Swankie yesterday but he was anonymous! 

For the record I would not exchange Campbell for Bollan. 

Typical naive football fans, Forfar are top of the league, 21 points from the first quarter is brilliant. 

I did however think Bollan looked a bit clueless about how to change things. I've always thought he looks like a bit of a knob also. 

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be fair, a very small few are letting their dislike of Campbell cloud their judgement at times. It's like because he has a record and is proven it's ok to have a go, with Lumsden everyone defended and backed him to the hilt as he was unproven. Should be doing the same with Campbell he's our manager.

Specky was the only one having a go at Lumsden early on last season and he was ridiculed by everyone else.

Spot on some of our support just do not like him and would rather he wasn't there,but he is.

That you celebrating in the Forfar end when we scored?

Spot on some of our support just do not like him and would rather he wasn't there,but he is.

That you celebrating in the Forfar end when we scored?

Aye it's extremely petty. Doing a fine job so far. No sure how you can't like him either.... #TapBoi. ;)

Seems very well liked by most, after his performance at the Sportsmans dinner and the very first few home games when he was always coming into the bar to speak to fans before games, always great in hospitality, great at the open day with the patents and kids and the players love the guy.

Think you can tell that, guys like Malin and Dunlop came with him knowing they'd maybe not play much but there here and the squad seems very happy and together. It's important, keeps everyone going and keeps players happy. Even after his shite 2/3 month run at the fermers the players were all gutted to see him go. An important trait in a manager, which funnily enough both Lumsden and Moore lacked big time.

And maybe.

Makes a change not to have a lot of lightweight players. Take some doing to get the ball of Stevie D these days.

Thing is with Doris it doesn't seem to have slowed him down any and still runs about as much as he always done. Like you say it seems to help at times. Mind McManus was sort of the same, obviously not body wise but hard to get the ball off him as he always stuck his arse out.

Some header for the second one by the way, hope we can keep Scott here next season.

There are several reasons questions have been asked of Dick so far.

1 - His overall record and games: win ratio is poor. You can take his overall ratio, the ratio just this season or the ratio just taking into account league games. Whatever way you look at it, we have not won enough games under Dick yet. Fans want to see their team winning, and so far under Dick that hasn't been happening as often as it should have been. This is a fact and cannot be disputed.

2 - Dick has a top end budget for this division, and one that is probably bigger than 3/4 teams in the division above. Based on that, I expect us to be up the top of the division this season and if we aren't I would deem it a failure. Dick himself has pretty much said that if we weren't promoted he would consider it a failure, and therefore I think it's fair to say fans aren't slating Dick on this one, they are infact agreeing with the man himself.

3 - I and pretty much everyone I have spoken to this season has been in agreement that Dick has built a fantastic squad for this level. We have half a dozen top end League 2 players on the park every week. This being the case, it's completely understandable that the fans are frustrated with a lack of wins and some poor performances so far. This is fairly complimentary to Dick - we all agree he has built a great squad and should be praised for that, but it leads to frustration knowing that we're better than what we've shown so far.

4 - Chopping and changing of players. I can't actually remember us playing the same defence, midfield or attack combinations for two games in a row. While we know we have excellent individual quality, no partnerships have been allowed to form between any key areas on the pitch due to us constantly changing things up. Ricky Little and Colin Hamilton are by far and away our strongest centre back combination, but out of the 14 competitive games we've had so far this season, how many games have they played as a partnership in? Both have been at the club since day 1 of pre-season and both have been fully fit and suspension free. Gary Philips hasn't had a bad game in the league, yet he's only played maybe a third of the games despite always being available? Upfront it is understandable that we've made a few changes and given a few combinations a run, but changing it EVERY week means a partnership will never form between 2 strikers as they never get the chance to play more than an hour together every 3 weeks it seems.

I firmly believe we will be right up the top this year. Dick has built a tremendous squad for League 2 and he has the experience, knowledge and contacts at this level to make this work. Hopefully he has learnt a lot about the players he has/ partnerships available to him in the first quarter and if he has I would be very surprised if we didn't put up more points in the next 9 games than we have in the previous 9. However, he's a big boy and he isn't immune to criticism where it is justified, and considering the above 4 points there are pieces of criticism that are perfectly justifiable at this moment in time.

Dick hasn't done a good job so far in my opinion. His recruitment has been superb, but results wise and selections/ substitutions/ tactical decisions have been poor. Football is ultimately about getting results, and Dick hasn't produced results so far in the time he has been at the club. 

I fully expect that by the end of this season Dick will have done a tremendous job, I fully expect our results in the next three quarters to be better than the one's we have had in the 25 odd matches Dick has been here and I fully expect us to be talking about potential promotion right into April and May.

Archived