Dumbarton FC -v- Ayr United FC

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pleasing day for the Honestmen. Happy for Forrest getting a hat trick, he deserved it for his running alone, absolutely tireless. Harkins is so clever up front, half his touches didnt come off today but the ones that work are sublime.

Dumbarton. Dear, oh dear. That back four is terrifyingly bad, Doherty looked panicked every time he had the ball and Martin gifted us one goal and instilled zero confidence throughout. Stevenson was his old self from last season - ponderous, out of position and lacking any kind of presence. McCallum looked decent and Stanton at least looked dangerous when given space.

7 points ahead of 10th spot after 9 games - happy days!

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

My patience has gone, I have given Stevie the benefit of the doubt, but this isn't good enough! We are rank! We can't beat Ayr, at home, who are gonna be down there with us at the end of the season! It's fucking grim!

:lol:

Your mob will almost certainly be relegated back to your natural habitat in the seaside leagues by January. I'm pretty confident we won't have too stressful a season now.

Just now, placidcasual said:

:lol:

Your mob will almost certainly be relegated back to your natural habitat in the seaside leagues by January. I'm pretty confident we won't have too stressful a season now.

Ouch. Why the h8, dude?

Don't think we were particularly great today but Dumbarton were woeful defensively. Aside from Forrest obviously, Devlin my MOM. Still feel we need to stop wasting Cairney out wide but can't exactly complain tonight! 

Stevenson as he was last season, took very good set pieces though. 

I also enjoyed the sons song prior to kick off! 

like i said in a earlier post, his team selection would be his downfall today...starting tommo up top is a total waste of space , then when it comes to subs ( at 3-0 down )he cant even get that right, nice wee man but he is way out his depth here.....i said at the start of the season the players he brought in were 2nd division standard so therefor we will get 2nd division performances , relegation here we come with this squad.....

Very few positives to take from today

Despite the scoreline, I actually felt the back four did ok today. The first two goals were down to horrendous mistakes from us, while the penalty was the kind of error young inexperienced players make

After that....the midfield....Joe Thomson did ok, particularly later on before he was bizarrely subbed. David Smith and Josh Todd did absolutely nothing and its getting harder to defend Aitken's tactics when this pair seem to be guaranteed a starting place each Saturday. Stanton came onto a game late on but pretty anonymous in first half. I'd even forgotten he was playing

Up front Stevenson was ineffective and Thomson was his usual self, ie hard working, but proving again he's not a natural goalscorer

All three subs were an improvement on what went before

Big changes needed next week. We need to get some stability in the starting eleven, some recognisable shape to the team, and stop picking Smith and Todd as automatic choices....neither has done anything to deserve it yet

Wasn't a great performance today. I actually thought Pettigrew played pretty well, and if anyone was to be awarded MoTM I think I I would have given it to him. But there wasn't a MoTM today, I noticed.

The team played a bit better when the three subs came on. Thomson once again spent a bit of time doing the Nish, and I think Fleming needs another shot up top, along with the Don. Why not, as nothing else seems to be working.

Shoogly peg time for Stevie Aitken's coat, if we don't get some results soon.

Was expecting a far tougher test. Admittedly it's all about that early goal (which was very soft from a Dumbarton viewpoint). We were off and out of sight after that.

What's happened to the Dumbarton who beat Dundee Utd and pushed Hibs at home?

21 minutes ago, Dug said:

What's happened to the Dumbarton who beat Dundee Utd and pushed Hibs at home?

We've reverted to type. If Stevie Aitken survives his shoogly coat peg, we'll go on a run with 5 games to go and stay up by the skin of our teeth, like last year.

We were very poor today.

That was the worst Dumbarton performance I have seen in a long time.  Not noticed so many people leave just after the hour mark like that since we were getting shafted in the third division.  Most frustrating thing for me is that is the most game time McCallum has had in the league all season.  Aitken always barks on with the 'young boy. not ready' pish then throws him on in front of an absolutely raging home crowd for half-an-hour when we're 2-0 down.

All credit to Ayr.  They were always hassling our players for the ball and played some really fluid football.  Nicky Devlin has become an even better player since he was last with us and Gary Harkins strolled the game.

The players all look fatigued and totally shot of confidence.  There is very little - if any - fight.  I don't believe any of the players thought they could take anything from the game when we went 2-0 down.

Here's one for Sonsteam of 08 - When was the last time Dumbarton were bottom of the league after the first round of fixtures?  Thinking back I cannot remember us being rock bottom since Murray took over.

And to think we were only aiming to have a squad size of 16 players at one point! Without Christian Nade we would not have stayed up last season - lightning will not strike twice this season.  Same old shit in interviews.  Same type of performances as last season even though we've got a very different team.  No away wins since December 2015.  1 win in the last 16 competitive games.  Aitken Out.

Archived