Practical Joke

What is the most depraved practical joke you have played on someone, or the best one you have heard about.

Killer Clowns and impractical jokers need not apply.

The one I thought about is pretty tame, so should be easy to trump.

Back in 1992/93 ish I knew a fellow who was partial to smoking the odd joint. In my garden, I found some mint that was growing wild, and dug up one of the younger plants/seedlings and put it in a plant pot.

I then presented this to Jim (name changed for legal reasons) with a back story that I'd been given it in lieu of a debt, and due to me being so law abiding (or rather wishing to avoid attracting attention from the authorities), I didn't want it in my house.

Offering him it free gratis, he had no problem accepting this little windfall. Over the next few weeks, when I saw him he would be telling me, with excitement, how his plant was coming along. He told me that he had been receiving horticultural advice from his uncle who knew about these things. He was using a bedside reading lamp to give it light at night and was using tea bags for compost.

One day he said his uncle had been down, and on examination, said it wasn't cannabis. I thought, oh well rumbled. But, no, his uncle had gone on to say it was probably one of these new "hybrids" where it has been crossbred with mint or some other herb. I had to work hard to keep dead pan and not get into fits of laughter.

Some time went by when one day he came round bursting with enthusiasm and excitedly exclaimed that he could not resist the temptation any longer. Yes, he had harvested it and prepared it in his oven before rolling it and smoking it.

He said it was brilliant?! There's the placebo effect for you. Rather than start regularly selling him cuttings from the large bush in the garden as an easy source of income, I crumbled and told him what I had done. I have to say he took it pretty well, but that could have been a lasting effect from the mellow strain.

Needless to say he was known in our social circles from then on as Minty Man.

I know a guy who got a load of fake lottery scratchcards (they were all £50,000k winners) off the internet. He went into his work with five of them and let four of his colleagues in on the prank and obviously didn't tell one guy so they could laugh at his temporary joy when he thought he'd won a shitload of money. The idea was that they all scratched their cards at the same time and if anyone won they split the winnings. The one guy who wasn't in on it said he hadn't won, stuck the card in his pocket and calmly walked away. How's that for a snidey b*****d?

Unfortunately I can't remember what his reaction was when they told him that he'd been outed as a snake but I'll find out later and report back. Stay tuned.

Archived