Glastonbury 2017

Ziggy

The first five or six songs from the Foo Fighters set were excellent. After that, when Grohl kept arsing around ("People kept telling me Glastonbury was the big one", "lets light this shit up" etc) mixed in with playing their pretty awful stuff from the last 5-10 years, the set fell flat. The "oh we've only got time for one more?" routine before Everlong was cringey as well. If they stopped the needlessly long versions of their songs, their live show would be infinitely better.

Watched the live stream of King Gizzard who were excellent. Surely one of the best live bands in the world just now. Really enjoyed The Killers' set as well. The Darlingside acoustic song for the BBC coverage on Friday night was very special indeed, would've liked to have seen some footage of their set. Apart from that, I'm struggling to think of anyone else who stood out from what I watched.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caught some stuff over the weekend, most did nothing for me but there was one band that caught my attention. There was just two of them - a topless drummer/singer and a guitarist in a tartan suit. Quite punky sounding too. I tried to remember their name but alcohol put pay to that. Anyone know who it was ?

Not a massive radiohead fan but thought they were excellent. Can't get there there or no surprises out my head.

Also thought Phoenix looked great but that's no surprise. A brilliant live band.

8 hours ago, jmothecat said:

To me they are quite a solitary band. Type of music earphones were invented for. I find with festivals the acts I've enjoyed the most haven't always been ones I've liked the music of the most. Tom Jones for example was brilliant, though I would rarely if ever throw on a Tom Jones CD.

There are exceptions to that though. Decided to see Kings of Leon even though I'm not really a fan, find them alright but thought they would be excellent live. How wrong I was. One of the dullest live acts I've ever watched.

Saw them at T in the Park in 2009 (?) and I actually left halfway through because I was so bored.

I really want to love Father John Misty's stuff, but I can't. Got Liam Gallagher on now - at he's lively. Out of key, but lively.

I was of a similar opinion with FJM for a long while but for whatever reason I persevered and really got into it. 'I Love You Honeybear' is just a fantastic album with 'Fear Fun' not far behind. 'Pure Comedy' is leaving me a bit cold at the minute but i'll give it another couple of listens before I pull the plug on it.

He does seem to be a bit of a dick though.

Saw them at T in the Park in 2009 (?) and I actually left halfway through because I was so bored.

Same. Maybe it was an off performance but like you, found it so boring I left halfway through.

4 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Caught some stuff over the weekend, most did nothing for me but there was one band that caught my attention. There was just two of them - a topless drummer/singer and a guitarist in a tartan suit. Quite punky sounding too. I tried to remember their name but alcohol put pay to that. Anyone know who it was ?

Slaves

Well that was fucking epic.

Highlights
Radiohead which I got right down the front for.
Royal Blood.
The National.
The Killers (basically an indie disco sing along)
The Xx
London Grammar.
Justice

Also seen nothing but thieves, circa waves, King gizzard and the lizard wizzards, Barry Gibb, Liam Gallagher, Thundercat, Biffy and plenty other stuff I can't remember.

Best of all was no mud, no wellies. Made getting around so much easier than previous years. Going to watch it all back on iplayer now [emoji3]

5 days of utter carnage, self destruction, minimal sleep and hanging out with my crew. Utterly blown away. The only Pyramid act I bothered with was Radiohead who nailed it to the walls. Spent most of the day time bouncing between West Holts and Glade that tend to put on things that are more my tastes, but for me its the dozens of smaller stages you can bomb between where there is always something interesting kicking of and some of them have incredible settings like the wee stage in the trees between the Glade and Green Futures or the Rabbit Hole.

And that Arcadia man, its its the absolute tits. Fucking Armageddon kicking off around you will you have a wee rave boogie.    

I have been going 20 years, lots has changed, some of it for the better, some, well not so good. But it is still the absolute epicenter of the UKs festival scene and the huge amount of creativity and effort that goes into making it always takes me aback. (OK I have lots of mates who are crew so perhaps biased). You can spend an afternoon getting pished watching some great circus acts, or wander into the speakers corner and listen to an IPCC lead author debate climate change, catch some poetry in the spoken word or well known comedian like Steve Amos in the Cabaret, Fury Road\Apocalypse Now at the cinema god knows no one every does more than a fraction in any year. 

If you can, do it once, the TV does no justice to it. 

God bless you Michael Eavis, the amount of fantastic music I have heard, crazy nights I have lost and great friends I have found on your farm.

16 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

Thank f**k I wasn't the only one. Honestly just about bored me to sleep. IIRC I fucked off and went to see Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds instead which was absolutely magic. 

Caught up with a couple of things on iPlayer. Ed Sheeran's undoubtedly talented though I'd agree with earlier sentiments that he doesn't seem like the type to close out a massive festival.

As much as I love them, The Courteeners were woeful. Liam Fray's voice has taken a battering and he clearly needs time off. He struggled to get through a few songs like Modern Love and Small Bones. Their sound also seemed a bit off with certain songs just sounding a mess. The crowd looked poor too. Don't think I've ever seen him have to sing the chorus of Bide Your Time or the "and snorting" part of Cavorting in my life :lol:

Haven't found anything of The Killers yet though :(

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Caught up with a couple of things on iPlayer. Ed Sheeran's undoubtedly talented though I'd agree with earlier sentiments that he doesn't seem like the type to close out a massive festival.

As much as I love them, The Courteeners were woeful. Liam Fray's voice has taken a battering and he clearly needs time off. He struggled to get through a few songs like Modern Love and Small Bones. Their sound also seemed a bit off with certain songs just sounding a mess. The crowd looked poor too. Don't think I've ever seen him have to sing the chorus of Bide Your Time or the "and snorting" part of Cavorting in my life :lol:

Haven't found anything of The Killers yet though :(

I heard Liam Fray has a cyst on his vocal chord which would explain it if true. I thought the set sounded good other than his voice, I've always felt his voice struggles a bit on large stage gigs to be honest. Agree re the crowd too, absolute night and day compared with the T in the Park gig a few years ago in King Tuts. 

I got the full Killers set on iPlayer. 

I heard Liam Fray has a cyst on his vocal chord which would explain it if true. I thought the set sounded good other than his voice, I've always felt his voice struggles a bit on large stage gigs to be honest. Agree re the crowd too, absolute night and day compared with the T in the Park gig a few years ago in King Tuts. 
I got the full Killers set on iPlayer. 

Not checked today. Glad to hear the Killers are on. That night in the King Tut's was the best of my life. Nothing will compare to that. I'm sure I heard he had a cyst on his vocal chord back when MTR came out, and he was doing an interview. f**k knows how long these things last.

The Killers. What a band. No pissing about, and just played their biggest and most well-known songs as well as some newer ones sprinkled in. I think The Man plays a lot better to a live crowd, though I'm still not a massive fan, and that was the first time I'd heard the song Runaways - belter. I really do need to see them once in my life. Hopefully some new material means they'll come here soon enough.

Third time I've been there and the best yet by a mile. Weather helped, aside from the Mercury-like temperatures on the Wednesday. Radiohead set was immense, life-affirming stuff. Chic, Hacienda Classical and King Gizzard other highlights. Only disappointment was Toots and the Maytals not playing and then missing their surprise set at Shangri-La later despite being about five minutes away in The Temple (a colosseum for ravers that has to be seen to be believed). Not another festival like it. 

Archived