Rate your signings

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Dobbie: 11/10. Words can't describe how much I love that man.

Jamie Hammill: 9/10. Despite a horror display against Hibs in the cup, he has been outstanding, rolling down the line on the overlap like the boulder from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Has an intelligence on the ball that stands out at this level and has a better defensive ability than Lewis Kidd who had the intelligence of a ten year old at times.

Grant Anderson: 8/10. His performances have dipped recently but he's been incredibly hard working, and has chipped in with some goals and assists.

Lyndon Dykes: 7/10. Injury curtailed his fine start but he gives us some raw pace and physicality and has linked up well with Dobbie. Main fault has been his finishing and end product as shown today.

Lee Robinson: 7/10. Having someone vocal and getting the ball out quickly is something that I like in a keeper. His kicking has largely been brutal but he's largely looked comfortable enough in goals without looking outstanding.

Steven Rigg: 3/10. He hasn't taken the opportunities when they have arrived unless you count two goals against an abject Stenhousemuir. Looks off the pace and plays with tunnel vision at times and doesn't use his size well.

Dobbie: 10 Nothing else needs said.

Dykes:9 Excellent potential! If he can improve his finishing and consistency we may well have a future star on our hands

Rigg: 6 Decent enough without being spectacular. Has his uses but lacks a bit of sharpness.

Anderson: 7 Not been as good of late but is an honest pro who gives his all and is brilliant in the air.

Robinson: 9 We are very lucky to have got him back. Like hes never been away. Superb.

Hamill: 8 In the main very good. Has the odd stinker

Brownlie: 9 Im including him because this cant be the same Brownlie that was with us last season. Outstanding! Assured on the ball and dominant in defence

Rogers **** - Good keeper, hasn't had a massive performance as of yet but I'm sure it will come.

Gasparotto *** - Shaky start, seems to play better alongside McCracken. Starting to look like it was Watson who was murder all this time.

Rankin *** - Good player at this level, bags of energy and what seems to be a decent long shot. Don't really think we need him every week but if Kerr is injured/off form he will be important.

Austin ** - I'm pretty convinced he is good enough but he isn't really getting involved with the first team. Should be chucked in the deep end sooner rather than later.

Craigen ** - Put in a couple of decent cameos and has a great shot. Injuries/bench affected the score.

Kidd *** - Has improved since Muirhead's injury but seems a little unfit to me. Also seems better going forward than back the way.

Henderson ** - Seen small clips of him on Falkirk TV. Looked good during the Ireland trip and he did something very silky against Dundee Utd U20's (can't remember what it was). Moves around a bit like Jay Fulton.

Think that's it?

Ashcroft B+ : Solid centre half, reliable and steady. Easily shone in a defence where mistakes have cost goals most weeks.

Wedderburn DNA : Jury is out.

Higginbotham A : He's a phenomenal player that could walk into most premier sides. Long range passing is better than any other player at the club. He WANTS the ball. Movement off it is excellent. When he gets the ball there is more movement from other players, probably due to the confidence that he'll get the ball to them. Reads the game better than anyone I've seen at East End for a long time. Delivery at set pieces is pinpoint. I'm feeling aggrieved that my season ticket money is being used to pay for him sitting mostly on the bench. Must play him more!

McMullan (loan) B : Can look really good. Is direct. Okay as a sub but not a long term option unless we are thinking of signing him?

Reilly (loan) C : flatters to deceive. Maybe playing alongside El Alagui would pay dividends? Scored a cracker at Easter Road, when he got the type of ball that should be played to him.

Clark A : has already shown in his limited game time since signing his quality as a finisher. Early promise looks good.

El Alagui A- : only being used as a super sub at the moment. But he's a hyper sub! Really mixes it and lifts the crowd. Knows how to find the net, any net.

Herron (loan) B+ : Solid looking attacking midfielder.

Danny Rogers - 7.5/10 He set such high standards last season and I think now he's back to his best. Easily the best keeper in the league. More to come hence the 7.5

Lewis Kidd - 6.5/10 - Slow start but coming on to a game now. Good attacking option.

Luca Gasparotto 7.0/10 - looked shaky with Watson but alongside Cracks he has really came into his own. Can't wait to see him and Grant at the back soon. Could easily be the best two centre halfs in the league.

Liam Henderson 5/10 - Not had a chance, seen him against Swansea u23s in preseason and was one of the best players on the park. Can see him being in the first team by the end of the season.

James Craigen 6/10 - Not had a chance and is always outwide. Good assist against Dundee United when he came on.

John Rankin 6.5/10 - Big boots to fill with Vaulks leaving but not the same type of player. Can't be in the same team as Kerr though.

Nathan Austin 5/10 - Not had a chance and haven't seen much of him to be honest.

On 10/8/2016 at 12:57, Sonsteam of 08 said:

In: Robert Thomson (Brechin City), Andrew Stirling (Stranraer), Craig Pettigrew (Stranraer), Ryan Stevenson (Ayr United), David Smith (Falkirk), Jamie Barclay (Stenhousemuir), Josh Todd (Annan Athletic), Daniel Harvie (Aberdeen, loan), Alan Martin (Hamilton Accies), Joe Thomson (Celtic, loan), Sam Stanton (Hibernian, loan)

Robert Thomson 6/10 - Weird one. He seems to get less effective every week, albeit we really don't play to his strengths. Great first touch, good at dropping deep, woeful infront of goal.

Andy Stirling 3/10 - Flatters to deceive for the majority of the time. Went on a few great runs against Forfar way back in July, but hasn't really done anything like that since then. 

Craig Pettigrew 4/10 - There are moments where he looks decent enough, but they are becoming few and far between. His distribution is erratic, he is rash in his positioning and just jogs back whenever he ventures forward. Definite weak link in our back 4.

Ryan Stevenson 7.5/10 - Had the fear when we signed him given what Ayr fans have said, but I have been impressed. Initially in pre-season he looked miles off it, but he's now in shape and does a decent amount of running. His quality on the ball is sublime and he's at the heart of the (very little) we do that's good in an attacking sense.

David Smith 8/10 - Another one I had the fear over, but has more than won me over with his performances so far. Not the greatest footballer, but he's a real worker who will play pretty much anywhere and is capable of putting some very decent balls into the middle. Only thing that lets him down is his defensive awareness - though it's tough when he's playing infront of Pettigrew.

Josh Todd 6/10 - Flits in and out of games. Strong runner, very good on the ball, but can go missing. I'd like to see him played in either the number 10 position or up top as he's fairly meh on the wing.

Daniel Harvie 7/10 - Kept Mark Docherty out the team, adds a bit of pace to the defence and (statistically) it has improved a great deal since he came in. His final ball is the only thing that really lets him down. Glorious hair.

Alan Martin 10/10 - Without him we wouldn't have a single point on the board imo. That's no slight on Jamie Ewings either - but Aldo pulls off saves that should not be possible. His distribution is excellent as well. Infinite numbers better than Mark Brown and gives me (and the back four) real confidence. 

Joe Thomson 7.5/10 - Nicely slotted into the Jamie Lindsay shaped hole in our midfield. Not as good as Lindsay in possession, but probably slightly better defensively. Runs absolutely forever.

Sam Stanton 3/10 - Barely noticed him to be honest - last week he took a dreadful corner and that's all I can really remember. Wingers are usually confidence players though - he just seems to have none. Early days though, and he should have the ability to become a more than handy signing.

I've only just seen this, Sam Stanton isn't a winger so if he's playing there that's probably why he's been below par (when we played him there he looked a bit lost too) .  He is a central attacking midfielder, it's where he played when he first broke through and he was the only bright light in that squad at the time! tbh I think his best position is just off the striker, unfortunately he just never seems to get played there anymore......

Ofir Marciano - 6/10 - good distribution, solid enough.

Neal Eardley - 4/10 - shaky debut, need to see more

Andrew Shinnie - 2/10 - shite. hoping for more to come.

Grant Holt - 6/10 - a decent foil for Cummings, needs to score more

Brian Graham - 5/10 - Useful in the air. Will score goals at this level.

Ross Laidlaw - 7/10 - Excellent away in Brondby, made one mistake and was dropped

Ofir Marciano - 6/10 - A bit too casual at times, decent shot stopper

Neal Eardley - 5/10 - looked short of fitness on his debut, put in some good deliveries though (including a cracker with his left foot)

Andrew Shinnie - 4/10 - Looked decent in his first couple of games...worse than a man down in his last few

Grant Holt - 6/10 - Seems to work well with Cummings, needs to score more and read the line better/get his backside back onside quicker (seems to be offside A LOT)

Brian Graham - 5/10 - Good in the air and more mobile than Holt. Hoping to see more of him.

Ross Laidlaw - 8/10 - Has only really made one howler in all the games he played yet was dropped for Marciano who, whilst is a good shot stopper has looked a bit shakier than Ross.

5 hours ago, LeeHFC said:

I've only just seen this, Sam Stanton isn't a winger so if he's playing there that's probably why he's been below par (when we played him there he looked a bit lost too) .  He is a central attacking midfielder, it's where he played when he first broke through and he was the only bright light in that squad at the time! tbh I think his best position is just off the striker, unfortunately he just never seems to get played there anymore......

Sadly, I doubt he'll get anywhere near that position playing for us either. Didn't he play wide for Livi last year and do quite well? Perhaps it's my ignorance but I always viewed him as wide player. I'm hoping it's just taking him a few games to get settled in but he's not shown much so far.

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sadly, I doubt he'll get anywhere near that position playing for us either. Didn't he play wide for Livi last year and do quite well? Perhaps it's my ignorance but I always viewed him as wide player. I'm hoping it's just taking him a few games to get settled in but he's not shown much so far.

I don't know where he played with Livi tbh, he played central with us under Butcher (and was really the only good thing about that team!) and then when Stubbs came in he used him sparsely and mainly played him wide when he did get on and his form dipped, he still managed a couple of goals and assists in the time he was given though!  Didn't really get a fair crack of the whip under Stubbs imo, Henderson really started to struggle around xmas time last season and Stubbs kept playing him rather than giving Stanton a shot in his actual position.  I don't know if he has what it takes to make it as a CM at Hibs but he's a player I really like and think he would be an asset to most teams at this level as an attacking midfielder.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Presumably the one against us in the League Cup at Easter Road that probably cost you the tie?

That's the one.  Marciano is just a bit too casual sometimes, he's made a couple of decent saves but I do get a bit nervous with him at corners, wasn't at the game on Sat but have seen a few people saying he was at fault for both goals?

15 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Hibs are not in a good place if they are classing Laidlaw as their best keeper. Makes howler after howler all the time.

Can only base my opinion on what we've seen of him so far and he's only had one howler (coming for the ball when he had no chance) and has been solid otherwise, including a European away game.  Marciano hasn't really been tested consistently tbf but he needs to show that he can concentrate and be on his toes for a full game. 

On 09/10/2016 at 21:03, Sloop John B said:

Stephen Dobbie: 11/10. Words can't describe how much I love that man.

Jamie Hammill: 9/10. Despite a horror display against Hibs in the cup, he has been outstanding, rolling down the line on the overlap like the boulder from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Has an intelligence on the ball that stands out at this level and has a better defensive ability than Lewis Kidd who had the intelligence of a ten year old at times.

Grant Anderson: 8/10. His performances have dipped recently but he's been incredibly hard working, and has chipped in with some goals and assists.

Lyndon Dykes: 7/10. Injury curtailed his fine start but he gives us some raw pace and physicality and has linked up well with Dobbie. Main fault has been his finishing and end product as shown today.

Lee Robinson: 7/10. Having someone vocal and getting the ball out quickly is something that I like in a keeper. His kicking has largely been brutal but he's largely looked comfortable enough in goals without looking outstanding.

Steven Rigg: 3/10. He hasn't taken the opportunities when they have arrived unless you count two goals against an abject Stenhousemuir. Looks off the pace and plays with tunnel vision at times and doesn't use his size well.

Isn't it funny how opinions vary, I would consider Robinsons kicking to be the best out of any keeper in the championship seen to date.

He can consistently put the ball on dyke, Lyle or Anderson's head from 55yds.

Just watched through Sundays game on iplayer and thought his distribution throughout the game was superb.

That comments based on seening all home games this season and Hibs and Rangers away.

Furthermore he's kept us in games at Dundee utd ,Hibs home and away and St mitten with some great save's no pleasing some folk.

On 11/10/2016 at 16:43, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Hibs are not in a good place if they are classing Laidlaw as their best keeper. Makes howler after howler all the time.

I think that laidlaw will prove to be a decent keeper, Hibs current keeper looks a bit shaky to be honest.

If that's a genuine comment then it's definitely the latter :lol:

Not nearly as bad as these tbh.

Interesting signing though I don't know if he'll be as good as Dunfermline hope.

I'm basing this on the feedback of Reilly. If Gav is anonymous in games then I wouldn't expect Clark to be any better. I've not watched Dunfermline but could the problem be the lack of service to strikers rather than the strikers themselves?

He's the same kind of player as Reilly but not as good.

Wowzer.

Archived