Expats right to vote to be extended

Dunfermline Don

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazed a bunch of people who moved to a place that they've colonised enough to basically be 'England with more sun' still take such a keen interest in U.K. politics. Here I was thinking they were card carrying members of the PSOE with keenly informed opinions on Sanchez's resignation.

17 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Their chosen conversation topic Stubbsy, not mine!emoji6.png

Heardat. I wouldn't be of a mind to start launching into politics chat whilst on holiday but when people find out you're Scottish (or British now I'm sure) they do ask you about it.

Just picturing your response :(

Heardat. I wouldn't be of a mind to start launching into politics chat whilst on holiday but when people find out you're Scottish (or British now I'm sure) they do ask you about it.

Just picturing your response [emoji20]

Not sure what you mean, where did I say I launched into politics chat?It was merely an observation that it was a popular topic of conversation amongst friends/neighbours who live out there.

4 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Not sure what you mean, where did I say I launched into politics chat?It was merely an observation that it was a popular topic of conversation amongst friends/neighbours who live out there.

Didn't say you did, I was agreeing with you that other folk bring it up.

Expats are not just loudmouth, UKIP- retirees, though.  Most of them pay tax in the UK.  I'm not quite sure why the number of days spent in one particular location should be held against them in regards to having a political voice.  

NGO workers, medical workers, business owners, military... there's a number of groups of expats, most of whom don't even identify with the term.

I'm inclined to agree with the "no tax, no representation" crowd here.
I'm in the situation now where I'm living abroad and paying no tax in the UK other than on interest in my savings account- which given current interest rates, doesn't amount to much.
But, I'm on a short term (3-year) contract and will return to the UK after this, now, whilst I agree that a Czech builder living day to day in the UK deserves a vote on how his chosen resident country treats him & his family, I'd also like the opportunity to try to shape the type of country I return to.
I can see both sides, it's a tough one...

8 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

I'm inclined to agree with the "no tax, no representation" crowd here.
I'm in the situation now where I'm living abroad and paying no tax in the UK other than on interest in my savings account- which given current interest rates, doesn't amount to much.
But, I'm on a short term (3-year) contract and will return to the UK after this, now, whilst I agree that a Czech builder living day to day in the UK deserves a vote on how his chosen resident country treats him & his family, I'd also like the opportunity to try to shape the type of country I return to.
I can see both sides, it's a tough one...

It's not though, you can shape it if you come back.

Would this affect who could vote in any future indyref I wonder? Scots living abroad who would under these proposals be on the electoral register?

Not sure what the exact rule was but I was unable to vote on the last indyref.

On 11/10/2016 at 22:17, RedRob72 said:

ETA, most retirees in Spain for example, have Children and Grandchildren in the U.K., perhaps with investments (including pensions retained here) to consider with regards to future planning. Surely that still affords them a voice?

There are lots of elderly people in Poland with Children and Grandchildren in the U.K your logic would afford them a voice as well.

There are lots of elderly people in Poland with Children and Grandchildren in the U.K your logic would afford them a voice as well.

That's a completely different scenario TC, but I see your point.

I quite like the idea of doing the French thing and having an MP dedicated to overseas citizens. As touched on, there are genuine reasons where there is an argument that they are dependent on the actions of the UK government in many ways and have paid into the system in considerable years of taxation. Voting for a constituency MP seems a really daft way to do it IMO.

It's not though, you can shape it if you come back.

I think that's a fairly simplistic view, and your implied wankery is noted.
How about students on foreign exchange programmes? How about people on short term overseas contracts- 3 months or less?
I still have an interest on how the UK is run and whilst I believe that people living there should have a say in ALL elections, I think whether or not I have a say cannot be decided on something as arbitrary as whether I pay tax or not.
Going by this method, anyone unfortunate enough to find themselves between jobs would be intelligible to vote.

12 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

I think that's a fairly simplistic view, and your implied wankery is noted.
How about students on foreign exchange programmes? How about people on short term overseas contracts- 3 months or less?
I still have an interest on how the UK is run and whilst I believe that people living there should have a say in ALL elections, I think whether or not I have a say cannot be decided on something as arbitrary as whether I pay tax or not.
Going by this method, anyone unfortunate enough to find themselves between jobs would be intelligible to vote.

Only, I never mentioned paying tax as a requirement for voting.  Residency is an entirely different matter and should be the basis for the franchise.

Your examples are of people that have chosen to go and live abroad.  If one of the consequence of this was that you lose the vote in UK elections do you think it would dissuade these people from taking up the opportunities abroad?  Would it have stopped you?  It's rather like saying that if you go to work in Thailand on a short-term contract then the NHS should pay any medical needs that you encounter. 

Archived