Expats right to vote to be extended

Dunfermline Don

On 10/8/2016 at 19:56, The DA said:

I hadn't read or heard anything about this issue until DD's post.  What are the main issues involved?

I'm guessing that expats tend, on average, to be older than the UK population as a whole. Does this mean they're more likely to vote Conservative?

What's the expat argument for retaining their vote?  I can see why they'd have an interest - they'll have pensions and investments made when they were UK residents - but I can also see the 'no representation without taxation' argument. Although, your average UK-based pensioner has long moved on from paying tax, too.

Do expats also get a vote in their current country of residence?  Or is that on a country by country basis?

I've been given a 3 years residence visa but am not entitled to vote which given I pay tax here seems a bit unfair.

I'm still entitled to vote in the UK but won't as I feel that not living there (and not contributing via paying tax) doesn't give me the right. That will change if/when I move back.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sjc said:

I've been given a 3 years residence visa but am not entitled to vote which given I pay tax here seems a bit unfair.

I'm still entitled to vote in the UK but won't as I feel that not living there (and not contributing via paying tax) doesn't give me the right. That will change if/when I move back.

Yeah, I've got a Green Card and I'm still not allowed to vote. You need to be a US citizen to vote in US elections. Oddly, I wasn't allowed to vote in the IndyRef, but I could've voted in the EU Referendum had I been bothered to register. It makes perfect sense to me that I shouldn't be able to vote in UK elections if I'm not resident in the UK but it is a bit of a weird no man's land I find myself in where I can't vote anywhere.

Yeah, I've got a Green Card and I'm still not allowed to vote. You need to be a US citizen to vote in US elections. Oddly, I wasn't allowed to vote in the IndyRef, but I could've voted in the EU Referendum had I been bothered to register. It makes perfect sense to me that I shouldn't be able to vote in UK elections if I'm not resident in the UK but it is a bit of a weird no man's land I find myself in where I can't vote anywhere.

Does it bother you that you can't vote anywhere? I agree that it would seem pretty weird and in some cases quite frustrating I suppose.

16 minutes ago, t1t3h said:

Does it bother you that you can't vote anywhere? I agree that it would seem pretty weird and in some cases quite frustrating I suppose.

Absolutely. Especially in a country that made such a big deal about the whole taxation without representation thing.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Start your own protest man, go to Atlantic and start chucking bottles of coke in a river,  withhold your income tax and get one of those snake don't tread on me flags.  They love that shit,  you'd probably get on Oprah. 

That sounds too much like hard work. I might just apply for citizenship instead.

Archived