Expats right to vote to be extended

Dunfermline Don

I have seen a story on the BBC website saying there are plans to scrap the current limit of 15 years for expats to vote in UK elections. My feelings are if you no longer live in a country you should have no right to vote for it government, I would be interested in others views on this.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Immigrants who have decided to live here should be able to vote here. The case on the BBC was about someone who moved to Italy in 1982 and was still wanting to vote in UK elections.

My point is they are also immigrants not fecking expats

I hadn't read or heard anything about this issue until DD's post.  What are the main issues involved?

I'm guessing that expats tend, on average, to be older than the UK population as a whole. Does this mean they're more likely to vote Conservative?

What's the expat argument for retaining their vote?  I can see why they'd have an interest - they'll have pensions and investments made when they were UK residents - but I can also see the 'no representation without taxation' argument. Although, your average UK-based pensioner has long moved on from paying tax, too.

Do expats also get a vote in their current country of residence?  Or is that on a country by country basis?

The fact that some asshole who hasn't stepped foot in the UK in 10-20-30 years can cast their "i'm alright jack, feck the rest of you" vote, while somebody who has moved here, works here and pays their taxes here gets shoved to the sidelines when a vote comes up that can ultimately impact their residency shows just how backwards the UK political system is.

On 10/8/2016 at 09:50, Dunfermline Don said:

Immigrants who have decided to live here should be able to vote here. The case on the BBC was about someone who moved to Italy in 1982 and was still wanting to vote in UK elections.

Clearly they love their country so much they want to keep in touch after 34 years of healthy living. If they did a full life's work they would be 99 by now so chances are this is some chancer who mocked the system and got out to the sun early. Were they from South-East England by any chance? Probably something to do with a UK pension right. Cake-and- eat-it comes to mind.

Place of residence should determine voters, on both sides of the Channel. Not nostalgia about the British Empire.

Out in Spain for the last couple of weeks, and continue to be surprised how much interest there still is in British politics amongst the ex-pat community, particularly with those who have lived out there for years now. I guess those who retain U.K. residency and therefore still pay tax on their UK pensions believe they still have a right to vote and have their say.

Out in Spain for the last couple of weeks, and continue to be surprised how much interest there still is in British politics amongst the ex-pat community, particularly with those who have lived out there for years now. I guess those who retain U.K. residency and therefore still pay tax on their UK pensions believe they still have a right to vote and have their say.

They don't have a right though as far as I'm concerned. A Syrian that's been here for a year working a minimum wage job has far more right to vote than any old codger that's moved to Benidorm.

They don't have a right though as far as I'm concerned. A Syrian that's been here for a year working a minimum wage job has far more right to vote than any old codger that's moved to Benidorm.

Some 'old codger' who's lived in the U.K. for 65+ years worked for almost 50 years, paid their dues, contributed to society and the community in which they lived. These people should be cut adrift once they decide to enjoy a well earned retirement with a bit of Sun on their backs? I think that's a bit harsh mate.

ETA, most retirees in Spain for example, have Children and Grandchildren in the U.K., perhaps with investments (including pensions retained here) to consider with regards to future planning. Surely that still affords them a voice?

Some 'old codger' who's lived in the U.K. for 65+ years worked for almost 50 years, paid their dues, contributed to society and the community in which they lived. These people should be cut adrift once they decide to enjoy a well earned retirement with a bit of Sun on their backs? I think that's a bit harsh mate.

ETA, most retirees in Spain for example, have Children and Grandchildren in the U.K., perhaps with investments (including pensions retained here) to consider with regards to future planning. Surely that still affords them a voice?

No. If you leave the country then you should leave behind your right to vote.

Your argument about investments is illogical. I have lots of investments in European companies. Should I get a vote in each one? Or in each country that I have lived if my children stay behind?

No. If you leave the country then you should leave behind your right to vote.

I agree entirely with this. I was surprised to find that despite emigrating 8 years ago I was still eligible to vote in the Brexit/Remain stooshie.

Yeah they contributed to society/community and then the left it for another one. Anybody that stays here, regardless of how long should have more rights than an expat.

Archived