Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2016-17

HibeeJibee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, surely not! said:

League two table shows a vastly improved montrose of late under a new manager. Looking more and more likely that any team dropping out of league two will do so into the Lowland.

Still a bit early to predict that one. Mo have been unbeaten in the last 4 but are only 3 points off bottom with the league only at the halfway stage!

1 hour ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

All capable of beating one another in that division, any team could be dragged into it.

Squads are small and a bad run of injuries to key players Could sink some team when they least expect it.

Think the top 3 should be ok and will end up the top 3 come May. As for the others it just takes a good run to end up in the promotion play off and a bad one to end up in the relegation one (as you will well know from last season).

This month is a big one with the window being open and clubs bolstering their squads for the 2nd half of the season.

Shire lost our league status with 32 pts so given how close it is at the moment at the lower end of Division Two I would be stunned if the the 10th placed team doesn't reach at least around the low 30 pts. As to whether the play-offs go in favour of the non-league team again well that us another matter,

LL reached the 2/3 mark today (handful of games-in-hand allowing). Wigtown beat Lochar and LTHV beat Tynecastle.

Gala in particular have ascended from the bottom area. Edinburgh University catch-up delayed games at home to Stirling Uni (Tuesday) and East Stirlingshire (week on Saturday). Looking unlikely that a currently licensed club will win EOSL, while it's a 3-horse race in SOSL with Wigtown out in front.

Here's things now stand across the 3 leagues:

Lowland League (30 games)

11    Civil Serv.
   P19 W6 D5  L8  -10     23pts

12    Vale of L.     P20 W6 D3 L11  -12     21pts
13    Hawick         P18 W6 D1 L11  -11     19pts
14    Edinburgh U    P17 W4 D6  L7   -2     18pts

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
15    Selkirk        P20 W4 D1 L15  -25     13pts

=================================================
16    Preston        P20 W4 D1 L15  -37     13pts

East of Scotland League (20 games over 22 dates)

1    Leith          P8 W8 D0 L0   +34     24pts
-----------------------------------------------

2    Heriot-W      P10 W7 D1 L2   +23     22pts

3    Lothian THV    P7 W6 D1 L0   +19     19pts
4    Tynecastle     P9 W6 D1 L2   +13     19pts
5    Eyemouth      P10 W6 D1 L3    +8     19pts

6    Coldstream    P12 W5 D3 L4    -9     18pts

South of Scotland League (26 games)

Wigtown       P18 W17 D1 L0   +45     52pts
------------------------------------------------

2    St Cuthb't    P18 W14 D3 L1   +47     45pts

3    Edusport A    P18 W14 D2 L2   +33     44pts
4    Mid Annan.    P17 W10 D2 L5   +16     32pts

5    Threave       P18  W8 D4 L6   +27     28pts
   Newton St.    P16  W9 D1 L6   +12     28pts

The team finishing bottom of the LL are automatically relegated if eg Wigtown win the SoS? Or is there a playoff?

I believe that it's automatic that the winner of an EoS vs SoS play off would replace bottom in the LL... So I'm assuming that since there is no licensed winner in the East, South will "automatically" win the play off and as such would replace the bottom team without a play off...

HibeeJibee will no doubt know exactly the plan but that's what I have been lead to believe

I believe that it's automatic that the winner of an EoS vs SoS play off would replace bottom in the LL... So I'm assuming that since there is no licensed winner in the East, South will "automatically" win the play off and as such would replace the bottom team without a play off...

HibeeJibee will no doubt know exactly the plan but that's what I have been lead to believe

You're correct. Although the team at the bottom of league two gets a chance of redemption in the form of the play offs, the team at the bottom of the Lowland gets no such reprieve and will be automatically relegated provided at least one of the feeder league winners is licensed.

2 hours ago, theProdigy said:

15 minutes ago, surely not! said:

You're correct. Although the team at the bottom of league two gets a chance of redemption in the form of the play offs, the team at the bottom of the Lowland gets no such reprieve and will be automatically relegated provided at least one of the feeder league winners is licensed.

But will the SoSFL winners just suit themselves and say feck that we'll stay where we are as has happened previously  ? 

9 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

But will the SoSFL winners just suit themselves and say feck that we'll stay where we are as has happened previously  ? 

It's not happened previously Newky. They won't be allowed to refuse either.

St. Cuthberth weren't licensed at the time they won the SOS, and Threave had to apply to keep their place in the Lowland League (which they didn't). So The Mantis is correct, this scenario has not happened before. 

38 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It's not happened previously Newky. They won't be allowed to refuse either.

35 minutes ago, lowenan said:

St. Cuthberth weren't licensed at the time they won the SOS, and Threave had to apply to keep their place in the Lowland League (which they didn't). So The Mantis is correct, this scenario has not happened before. 

I should know better than to read the gossip on here :D

Fairly certain, reading the forums (sos St.Cuthberts thread) St.Cuthberts could've got a license at the time if they wanted though as they failed on something that was easy sorted.  

Good luck to whoever wins it, means there is life in the Pyramid after all but most importantly another decent day oot, I do miss a wee trip to Castle Douglas :D

As noted above it's automatic relegation for bottom of LL if one or both EOSL & SOSL champions are licensed. That's a positive IMO - as the ambition should be automatic promotion and relegation throughout the system. When it comes to SPFL2, it's not as if anyone could accuse the lower levels of double-standards.

Probably the pragmatic thing as well. LL season finishes April 22nd this season so HL & LL champions can have a 2-legged playoff before playing bottom of SPFL2. Imagine if EOSL & SOSL had to finish in time for their own 2-legged playoff (assuming that's what it would be) before playing bottom of LL, they would have to finish on April 8th. That's before Easter!! Last season would've been April 2nd :lol:!!

Of course wise to recap here the possible scenarios if a 'differential' occurs in terms of relegation from SPFL2. Imagine the leagues had finished yesterday: thus you'd Buckie, EK and Cowdenbeath in playoffs and Wigtown promoted to LL. If Buckie won 2 clubs would be relegated from LL. If on the other-hand Montrose had finished bottom and EK won the bottom club in LL would be reprieved.

On 08/01/2017 at 13:55, lowenan said:

Wrong. Threave would have stayed if they hadnae resigned. They chose to leave.

On 12/01/2017 at 19:20, lowenan said:

They had to reapply after finishing bottom, but chose not to.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/threave-rovers-finish-bottom-lowland-7802665

In the event that there is no relegation from the SLFL, the bottom club is retrieved and does not need to re-apply. That was the situation last year and Threave would have continued in the SLFL if they had not resigned. There was a chance for a club that had been relegated to re-apply and be considered with other applicants until the league was full with 16 clubs but that no longer exists. 

• 1 month later...

This is a bit like a boomerang that keeps coming back - but Selkirk, Vale and Whitehill were founder members 4yrs ago, and CSS were admitted last year, and they all haven't lights.

Dalbeattie hanselled theirs last month.

Wigtown haven't lights either.

Archived