Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2016-17

HibeeJibee

There's little more information at the moment, the capacity of the stand will be insignificant to the vast majority of people with an interest in meadowbank being replaced. The company involved did the Aberdeen sports village which has a 500 seat stand and no other obvious capacity.

It's currently 2-3years away at least

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news for Lothian THV (and Tynecastle).  A 3G would surely be the next inevitable step as that pitch has been pretty horrific in recent seasons.  And it would be a major win for common sense if Leith Athletic share the new Meadowbank complex.

It would also add more strength in depth to the much maligned Lowland League (from certain circles) and longer term the consequence of more more clubs in licensing being a more natural progression with automatic promotion/relegation between the lower leagues.

And as I'm on an optimistic roll, here's hoping the Highland League reach out to the North Juniors over the next couple of seasons with a view to getting a feeder league set up north......and in turn help break down the barriers between seniors and juniors.

Preston Athletic seems to be the most likely candidate. They have only had Threave behind them the last two seasons, and are now last after losing to CSS. Their goal difference is also easily the worst. 

Should they go down, it might be difficult for them to get back up, since they have to compete with Leith, LTHV and Tynecastle in the race for winning the EOS.

On 06/10/2016 at 21:56, calmac25 said:

I just had a look on the council planning portal and LTHV have at long last submitted plans to put in 2 covered enclosures combined capacity of 100 plus 2 containers (tastefully coloured yellow) including, mens, woman's and disabled toilets and a servery/hospitality room.

Decision deadline is 6 weeks away so possible that 1or both teams at saughton could be licenced this season.

Have you got a link for the planning application?  Interested to see it.  Would be very good if LTHV and Tynecastle got a licence and you'd suddenly have the potential for playoffs for promotion between the East and South leagues.  Definitely a good step once we start seeing teams from the Lowland League relegated and that will be boosted massively by having two potential feeder leagues rather than only the South (as clearly Coldstream and Burntisland will be nowhere near first place).  Personally, I'd rather have a system like they do for promotion from tier 9 to tier 8 in England where the best placed eligible team (i.e. a team with a licence in Scotland) gains promotion as long as they finish in the top three.

Have you got a link for the planning application?  Interested to see it.  Would be very good if LTHV and Tynecastle got a licence and you'd suddenly have the potential for playoffs for promotion between the East and South leagues.  Definitely a good step once we start seeing teams from the Lowland League relegated and that will be boosted massively by having two potential feeder leagues rather than only the South (as clearly Coldstream and Burntisland will be nowhere near first place).  Personally, I'd rather have a system like they do for promotion from tier 9 to tier 8 in England where the best placed eligible team (i.e. a team with a licence in Scotland) gains promotion as long as they finish in the top three.

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ODLCGCEWJOE00

Re mentions of 3G inside an athletics track not working (not only Meadowbank, but Saughton Enclosure is an athletics-track venue too) : Carluke has it, but the council's webpage for it doesn't include javelin or hammer, only shot putt.

I note that the EOSFL fixture list has given Tynecastle and LTHV simultaneous Home games on both Saturday 4th March and Saturday 11th March. Does the fixtures man know something we don't about where each will be playing home matches by then? I wouldn't have thought the basic works of putting up a couple of bits of covered terraces and installing some container units would necessitate the ground being closed for the duration - plenty of adjacent grass banking to stand on.

Think that's HibeeJibee on the EOSFL fixture list or at least it used to be. Good for the LL,that LTHV can move up now as that will be another credible promotion candidate. Not the league it could have been, but not the complete joke the SPFL deadwood would have been hoping for either.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 09:20, lowenan said:

Preston Athletic seems to be the most likely candidate. They have only had Threave behind them the last two seasons, and are now last after losing to CSS. Their goal difference is also easily the worst. 

Should they go down, it might be difficult for them to get back up, since they have to compete with Leith, LHTV and Tynecastle in the race for winning the EOS.

Agreed.  Preston were very poor in the first half against the Strollers, and although they improved in the second half, Civil could/should have won by 2 or 3 more - had 2 cleared off the line alone.  They're at home to Edinburgh Uni on 5th November and they have to hope they'll 3 points there and hope to build on it.  They don't have their troubles to seek in the meantime as they host Lothian THV this Saturday in the South Region Challenge Cup.

Quick question which may have a direct implication re relegation/promotion.

Did someone previously mention that all Lowland sides must have floodlights in time for next season, in line with all Highland clubs?

I note from the link below that Dalbeattie now have them installed.

http://www.dalbeattiestar.co.uk/club/219690/News/view/927035

From memory that only leaves Civil SS, Whitehill Welfare and Vale of Leithen.  Even if we assume that they all install them on time, it may prevent a team like Wigtown and Bladnoch from being promoted as, to the best of my knowledge, they don't have them yet.  (this is all of course dependent on whether floodlights are required from next season).

Quick question which may have a direct implication re relegation/promotion.

Did someone previously mention that all Lowland sides must have floodlights in time for next season, in line with all Highland clubs?

I note from the link below that Dalbeattie now have them installed.

http://www.dalbeattiestar.co.uk/club/219690/News/view/927035

From memory that only leaves Civil SS, Whitehill Welfare and Vale of Leithen.  Even if we assume that they all install them on time, it may prevent a team like Wigtown and Bladnoch from being promoted as, to the best of my knowledge, they don't have them yet.  (this is all of course dependent on whether floodlights are required from next season).

a href="http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dalbeattie-star-planning-install-floodlights-7066618" rel="external nofollow">http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dalbeattie-star-planning-install-floodlights-7066618

Dalbeattie chairman said the lowland league criteria is to have floodlights by the end if this season.

Once the lights at Islecroft are complete I think it just leaves vale of leithen, whitehill, CSS and Selkirk

Selkirk have planning permission but I couldn't find anything for the other clubs

1 hour ago, calmac25 said:

a href="http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dalbeattie-star-planning-install-floodlights-7066618" rel="external nofollow">http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dalbeattie-star-planning-install-floodlights-7066618

Dalbeattie chairman said the lowland league criteria is to have floodlights by the end if this season.

Once the lights at Islecroft are complete I think it just leaves vale of leithen, whitehill, CSS and Selkirk

Selkirk have planning permission but I couldn't find anything for the other clubs

As per link I gave it appears they now are complete at Islecroft........but I forgot about Selkirk.  Remembered reading about the planning permission a while back, hopefully they'll be put in imminently.....if they aren't there already.

On 10/10/2016 at 18:15, LongTimeLurker said:

Think that's HibeeJibee on the EOSFL fixture list or at least it used to be. Good for the LL,that LTHV can move up now as that will be another credible promotion candidate. Not the league it could have been, but not the complete joke the SPFL deadwood would have been hoping for either.

The same SPFL "dead wood" that LL back to back champions Edinburgh City have yet to register a win against, with a quarter of the league season over, that "dead wood"?

:lol:

It doesn't look like East Stirlingshire will be bouncing straight back, so the poster child for being "dead wood" could easily become fixtures in the LL in the years ahead given the advantages they had this season in terms of the 40k parachute payment and League Cup games against Rangers and Motherwell are unlikely to be repeated next season making renting Ochilview more of a drain on their finances in percentage terms than it is at the moment, which will/would put a serious dent in the budget they can afford for wages. Your club would probably be most people's pick for the next victim and even if it doesn't happen this year, it will/would be interesting to see what would happen next year if East Kilbride replace Edinburgh City. A decade from now, I'll be surprised if Montrose are not a Highland League club and I doubt that would be the end of the world as you always like to depict it. Shire supporters appear to actually be enjoying watching their team win more often than not for a change. There is plenty of life in the game outside the SPFL.

Nice avoidance of the actual point- the first team which gained the right to show just how poor all the bed blocking diddy clubs in SPFL 2 are, is not only failing to do so but having a nightmare at the higher level thus far.

If you knew anything at all about Montrose as a club I might take you seriously. As you don't, I won't.

On 2016/10/15 at 14:29, Ivo den Bieman said:

Nice avoidance of the actual point- the first team which gained the right to show just how poor all the bed blocking diddy clubs in SPFL 2 are, is not only failing to do so but having a nightmare at the higher level thus far.

If you knew anything at all about Montrose as a club I might take you seriously. As you don't, I won't.

Can remember that Dennis D'Arcy was your star centre half in the 1970s back when you had a team that could actually do a bit of damage and weren't just making up the numbers. OK, now that you have to take me seriously, I would suggest that the East Kilbride victory today, achieved with 10 men for the last half hour, was not a huge shock (the bookies were expecting it) and that it's never sensible to read too much into a single data point.

Archived