Jim Delaney departs Maryhill Juniors.

catcoach

Confirmed via a phone call from Jim late last night. Has had to quit due to work commitments.

Informed committee and players last Wednesday evening, but kept quiet to allow coaches

John Sherry and big Pat Keogh to take the team against Shotts Bon Accord, who won

2-1 at Lochburn Park.

Brought teams/players through the youth system at Maryhill - previously successful in the

amateur grade at Aikenhead Thistle - and won promotion with the juniors ( first time of

asking) last season during his overall 9 year association with them. Back in the Super First

Division after an absence of 8 years.

Always found Jim a gentleman to deal with. Hope his current work situation improves, and

that he finds a way back into the game.

I am hearing his possible successor will be new to junior football, but no less ambitious,

well organised and good with the media ( as Jim was).

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Way ahead of you on the Super League Division One thread. ;-)

Peter. Didn't know there was one of here as I don't post topics on a 

regular basis. I am more on thejuniors. info site.

Hopefully, incoming manager will continue Jim's excellent work.

On 05/10/2016 at 14:39, catcoach said:

Peter. Didn't know there was one of here as I don't post topics on a 

regular basis. I am more on thejuniors. info site.

Hopefully, incoming manager will continue Jim's excellent work.

Is he currently involved in youth football?

Poor appointment imo. John was the manager of the Central Select Team but he won't attract the very best amateur players as they won't leave your Colville's etc. 

Filling Maryhill with amateurs will only end one way. Especially when its not the cream of amateur football. 

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Poor appointment imo. John was the manager of the Central Select Team but he won't attract the very best amateur players as they won't leave your Colville's etc. 

Filling Maryhill with amateurs will only end one way. Especially when its not the cream of amateur football. 

Or how about you give him a chance how do you know top ammies wont wwnt to make the step up. Who says he will bring in loads ammies anyway.

I've known John for a number of years and whilst I agree that he will find it tough to make the adjustment to the level of football in Super First I think he has it in his locker to be successful. John's a good person, fair and a very good coach.

As has already been said, hopefully Jim's work situation clears up to allow him to get back involved. 

Archived