So I have a virtual reality headset.

Lofarl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

It won't be over until they officially stop supporting it, which they're pretty unlikely to do.  More accurately, it just hasn't taken off.  Doesn't mean it won't in future - just needs that one killer app.  Same thing Kinect and several other things suffered from.  

55 minutes ago, forameus said:

It won't be over until they officially stop supporting it, which they're pretty unlikely to do.  More accurately, it just hasn't taken off.  Doesn't mean it won't in future - just needs that one killer app.  Same thing Kinect and several other things suffered from.  

This. Im not convinced, though, that its future lies in gaming. If you think of games now, you can already look around and you're already "immersed" in the environment, albeit on a tv screen rather than inside a virtual reality. VR adds something but the limitations on movement are the big issue.

I think the big takeup and success of VR will come in events and movies. Paying to "sit" in a stadium for a world cup final, olympics etc, or in a theatre for a show has a far bigger potential benefit to the viewer over watching on tv, than any gaming application. It also, potentially, has a much bigger audience.

The high cost of the kit seems to be the current barrier but that always comes down eventually.

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This. Im not convinced, though, that its future lies in gaming. If you think of games now, you can already look around and you're already "immersed" in the environment, albeit on a tv screen rather than inside a virtual reality. VR adds something but the limitations on movement are the big issue.

I think the big takeup and success of VR will come in events and movies. Paying to "sit" in a stadium for a world cup final, olympics etc, or in a theatre for a show has a far bigger potential benefit to the viewer over watching on tv, than any gaming application. It also, potentially, has a much bigger audience.

The high cost of the kit seems to be the current barrier but that always comes down eventually.

Yeah, definitely agree with this.  There are definitely applications in gaming, just think it needs someone to stumble on that one application that gets around the limitations on movement without just being a passing fad.  All the VR games I've seen let's plays of online look great fun, but are you really going to spend hours and hours on them?  Where's the Skyrim/Fallout/Witcher equivalent for VR that will see people sit with them for hundreds of hours over the course of the game?  At the moment it's only really Resident Evil, and with that they look like they're not supporting VR for the DLC, which is worrying for the technology.

Like you say, the real money would be in events.  I remember reading a book that had a fully online church that millions upon millions would log on to each week to sit amongst a virtual congregation.  There was a bit more tech in there, but the idea is pretty basic.  As the example you gave, if they could build a stadium for a future world cup that made it possible for you to sit in any of the seats as though you were there, in amongst all the other fans that are actually attending, then your attendance is pretty much unlimited (apart from the size of the fanbase obviously).  Charge PPV prices for that, and you could potentially have hundreds of millions of paying customers attending the World Cup Final.  Take it down to a theatre show, and suddenly theaters can get far more income per show than before, again potentially unlimited.  

37 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, definitely agree with this.  There are definitely applications in gaming, just think it needs someone to stumble on that one application that gets around the limitations on movement without just being a passing fad.  All the VR games I've seen let's plays of online look great fun, but are you really going to spend hours and hours on them?  Where's the Skyrim/Fallout/Witcher equivalent for VR that will see people sit with them for hundreds of hours over the course of the game?  At the moment it's only really Resident Evil, and with that they look like they're not supporting VR for the DLC, which is worrying for the technology.

Like you say, the real money would be in events.  I remember reading a book that had a fully online church that millions upon millions would log on to each week to sit amongst a virtual congregation.  There was a bit more tech in there, but the idea is pretty basic.  As the example you gave, if they could build a stadium for a future world cup that made it possible for you to sit in any of the seats as though you were there, in amongst all the other fans that are actually attending, then your attendance is pretty much unlimited (apart from the size of the fanbase obviously).  Charge PPV prices for that, and you could potentially have hundreds of millions of paying customers attending the World Cup Final.  Take it down to a theatre show, and suddenly theaters can get far more income per show than before, again potentially unlimited.  

I think thats where the limitations around movement come in. At the moment, your physical movement is limited by the actual space you have. Thats no good for a FPS like Skyrim etc So, you end up using a joystick of some kind to walk around and the VR is limited to looking, but you can already do that now with the other stick. Thats why I dont think VR adds much to gaming, as it stands.

That problem doesnt exist in events. I also dont think you need to have a venue where every seat is available, although that would be the ideal. It would be far easier to take one of the best seats, set it up for VR and sell the same seat over and over again.

On 15/02/2017 at 13:53, #Gary said:

Is the fad over already? 

Nope I still use mine loads.  Google maps in VR is insane.  You can fly virtually around the world and some of the cities are rendered well in vr.  Edinburgh looks pretty amazing.  Arizona sunshine is a fantastic zombie shooter brilliant in co-op.  Of the people I've shown it off too, two have bought them.  The rest have loved it but can't afford the big outlay.

as for the skyrim type game.  Vanishing realms does a good job of that.  

or just get the vorpex program and run skyrim in VR.  Although it's a bit clunky as it's not natively supported.  ID are porting the cracking last doom game to it and Sega have hinted and I hope to God it's true that the fantastic Alien Isolation is getting VR support.

I think a lot of people and critics are waiting for Microsoft's entry into vr later this year.

From memory supposed to be better technology and a few different models with a structured pricing guide, with the cheapest model cheaper than psvr

Read a tech blog early last year which reckoned AR rather than VR would likely be the big thing in the immediate future. Technology is already there, accessibility isn't a problem as it's easy done on smartphones and the potential uses are endless.

55 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Read a tech blog early last year which reckoned AR rather than VR would likely be the big thing in the immediate future. Technology is already there, accessibility isn't a problem as it's easy done on smartphones and the potential uses are endless.

AR has been around for a long time and has never really taken off - Pokemon Go being the obvious exception.

I would argue that its potential uses in mainstream gaming are pretty, in fact very, limited. Unless you're out and about there isnt a reality to augment.

Just now, Mr X said:

AR has been around for a long time and has never really taken off - Pokemon Go being the obvious exception.

I would argue that its potential uses in mainstream gaming are pretty, in fact very, limited. Unless you're out and about there isnt a reality to augment.

Gaming wasn't where it seen the technology making the most of it's potential. Education and training seemed to be where they expected it to go in terms of making big money. Gaming would just get the benefit or the R&D put into it for other reasons.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Gaming wasn't where it seen the technology making the most of it's potential. Education and training seemed to be where they expected it to go in terms of making big money. Gaming would just get the benefit or the R&D put into it for other reasons.

This is the gaming forum ;)

I dont really see AR and VR competing, to be honest. There are different reasons to use both.

The reality is its unlikely any one of the new technologies we've seen, or are seeing, will triumph over the other. Its far more likely we'll end up using a hybrid of VR, AR, motion control and who knows what else.

Just now, Mr X said:

This is the gaming forum ;)

I dont really see AR and VR competing, to be honest. There are different reasons to use both.

The reality is its unlikely any one of the new technologies we've seen, or are seeing, will triumph over the other. Its far more likely we'll end up using a hybrid of VR, AR, motion control and who knows what else.

The medical uses of something along those lines would be phenomenal when the tech has developed enough. That said, if I end up playing FIFA 27 and my ability as a player turns out to be largely based on my ability in reality, then it can f**k off if they think I'll waste my money on it.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The medical uses of something along those lines would be phenomenal when the tech has developed enough. That said, if I end up playing FIFA 27 and my ability as a player turns out to be largely based on my ability in reality, then it can f**k off if they think I'll waste my money on it.

:lol:

I remember seeing something like this

http://www.virtuix.com/

a while ago. On one hand it takes away the issues around movement in VR but on the other hand it adds a whole other range of issues which a lot of gamers will struggle with - like physical fitness :lol:

To be fair, it looks the nuts and would be amazing to have a go on. But, who's going to buy one, put it in their living room and actually use it for hours at a time instead of sitting on the couch? The answer is pretty much no-one but without something like this the benefits of VR in "traditional" gaming are limited.

33 minutes ago, Mr X said:

:lol:

I remember seeing something like this

http://www.virtuix.com/

a while ago. On one hand it takes away the issues around movement in VR but on the other hand it adds a whole other range of issues which a lot of gamers will struggle with - like physical fitness :lol:

To be fair, it looks the nuts and would be amazing to have a go on. But, who's going to buy one, put it in their living room and actually use it for hours at a time instead of sitting on the couch? The answer is pretty much no-one but without something like this the benefits of VR in "traditional" gaming are limited.

The firewall in my work is blocking that website, but I'll have a look later.

Archived