Crusaders v Livingston

23 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scottish Cup rules actually forbid ties on Thu or Fri and I presume that's (at least in part) the reason.

Occasionally they do have a Friday for TV but maybe SFA Board "amend" it also.

Well clearly, either that or I imagined watching our Q-F against Falkirk at Palmerston two years ago on the Friday night. The point stands though.

EDIT - Actually, puzzled by this I just skimmed my way through the rules and don't see any such suggestion of Thursdays and Fridays not being allowed. Where are you seeing this rule?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is definitely something about ties not being allowed to come forward to Thursdays or Fridays... I haven't got time to look at the rulebook right now, but if you open it in PDF then search for "Thursday" there can't be that many uses of the word.

It has always bemused me slightly - and I've always presumed it's why clubs whose normal alternative date is Friday play their clashing Scottish Cup ties on Sunday instead. Take for example Cumbernauld Colts... when they clash with Clyde in any other competition they play on Friday night. Indeed they're home to Hawick in LL tonight as it so happens. However, in the Scottish Cup any clashing ties have been Sundays.

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is definitely something about ties not being allowed to come forward to Thursdays or Fridays... I haven't got time to look at the rulebook right now, but if you open it in PDF then search for "Thursday" there can't be that many uses of the word.

It has always bemused me slightly - and I've always presumed it's why clubs whose normal alternative date is Friday play their clashing Scottish Cup ties on Sunday instead. Take for example Cumbernauld Colts... when they clash with Clyde in any other competition they play on Friday night. Indeed they're home to Hawick in LL tonight as it so happens. However, in the Scottish Cup any clashing ties have been Sundays.

Rule 23 says drawn or postponed games cannot be rearranged for a Thursday or a Friday. I can't see anything preventing the original tie from being brought forward to Thursday or Friday though.

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Ah, fair enough. Wonder why a drawn or postponed game can't be a Thursday / Friday, though?

Because it would stop the teams playing a league match on the Saturday? The original tie can be switched because they wouldn't have a league game on the Saturday anyway.

22 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Because it would stop the teams playing a league match on the Saturday? The original tie can be switched because they wouldn't have a league game on the Saturday anyway.

Can't be that. you are allowed to rearrange the replay for the following Saturday itself in first three rounds so the ban on Thursday or Friday games makes no sense in that context.

On 01/11/2016 at 20:10, theoriginalhedge said:

You have obviously never had dealings with any Scottish Football Association.  Rules are made up on the spot depending which team is involved. I would imagine a large brown envelope full of  numerous notes of currency might help sway any decision mind you. 

The danger with 'brown envelope' transactions is when one party falls out with another. We've seen a few cases over here where damaging 'evidence' has surfaced out of the blue, leading to legal proceedings etc, etc.

3 minutes ago, Crusader Knight said:

The danger with 'brown envelope' transactions is when one party falls out with another. We've seen a few cases over here where damaging 'evidence' has surfaced out of the blue, leading to legal proceedings etc, etc.

I was of course talking with tongue in cheek as that would never happen over here !!!  8)

On 11/2/2016 at 15:33, LIVIFOREVER said:

What has the first tie got to do with anything, we were ordered to play it again and he was signed for us by then. Lithgow played again and was eligible for the first tie so by your reckoning he shouldn't have been allowed to because he was eligible for the first tie, but he was ok for the replay after serving his 2 match suspension in another league game. The whole thing is farcical really.

From the rules on the scottish cup, i'm presuming all cups have similar rules;

When a match which is postponed, drawn, or abandoned, is played or replayed, only those players who were eligible by means of their registration at the date fixed for originally playing the Round, may play. For the avoidance of doubt the operation of the Disciplinary Procedures has no impact on the application of this rule.

"In the interests of sporting integrity and fairness to both sides, the game will be replayed," said SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster on Monday.

I doubt very much if the SFA would've given us the chance to play this game again in the Scottish cup, they'd have just awarded the game to Crusaders. The SPFL seem to be a bit more lenient.

The SFA have just hit Lithgow with another match suspension this Sat against East Fife. Seems his sitting out the Rovers game didn't count as his 2nd match ban.

34 minutes ago, justin time said:

From the rules on the scottish cup, i'm presuming all cups have similar rules;

When a match which is postponed, drawn, or abandoned, is played or replayed, only those players who were eligible by means of their registration at the date fixed for originally playing the Round, may play. For the avoidance of doubt the operation of the Disciplinary Procedures has no impact on the application of this rule.

"In the interests of sporting integrity and fairness to both sides, the game will be replayed," said SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster on Monday.

The Challenge Cup rules published on the SPFL website only say that players have to be league registered to play in the competition.  I can't find anything similar to the above rule.

Archived