England v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

Roughly about the same time Rob claimed manchetermageddon was the same as a couple of guys pulling a sunny on Friday in London.

You must be mistaken, skidmarks has already spoken typed.

20 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

In what way was the Martin O'Neill era reckless and detrimental to Scottish football?

how many scottish players did MoN use on a regular basis, how much money did he (and wee dick) spend on players that were not scottish

souness is getting it tight for buying a group of english players, but here's an interesting fact, when souness left rangers he left with 14 scottish players out of his 25man squad, when MoN left celtic the 32 man squad contained 13 scottish players

id argue that both MoN and dick advocaat had a more detrimental affect on scottish football than souness ever did

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

Why is it suddenly an issue? There have been folk following Scotland all over the place for years doing exactly what happened on Friday. They have always been described as ever so cheeky but generally well behaved. The Daily Record seems to be going all out on the SFA also. Pushing an agenda, but why?

It is called lazy journalism. They troll social media for stories and I think they have seen the Stewart Regan one on here and jumped on it as popular opinion as it had double figure greenies !!  8)

6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

how many scottish players did MoN use on a regular basis, how much money did he (and wee dick) spend on players that were not scottish

souness is getting it tight for buying a group of english players, but here's an interesting fact, when souness left rangers he left with 14 scottish players out of his 25man squad, when MoN left celtic the 32 man squad contained 13 scottish players

id argue that both MoN and dick advocaat had a more detrimental affect on scottish football than souness ever did

Comparing Scottish players in different era's is utterly stupid. 1991 was pre Bosman and the 3 foreigner rule was still in play. All Scottish teams would have had a squad full of Scottish players and id be pretty confident in predicting that Rangers had a lower % of Scottish players in their squad than any other team in the League. Celtic had 13 out of 21.

Not only would Rangers have had less Scottish players than all other teams, they were also spending big money (money they didn't have) to bury their competition in their attempt to dominate Europe (which they failed miserably at btw). Rightly or wrongly the other teams were forced to make an attempt at competing or being left behind. This eventually had a drastic effect on the amount of Scottish youth being given game time.

While all clubs played their own part in the decline of Scottish football, Rangers were the catalyst behind it all. The fact they done it with money they didn't have or couldn't afford to pay back means that they will be given the majority of the blame and rightly so. The other teams realised they couldn't afford to keep up and eventually backed off while the Rangers juggernaut went full steam ahead, not giving a f**k about anybody else until they crashed and burned.

Get your head out the sand and open your eyes

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It is called lazy journalism. They troll social media for stories and I think they have seen the Stewart Regan one on here and jumped on it as popular opinion as it had double figure greenies !!  8)

You may be right, but I can't help but think there is more to it and we will find out who and what the Record are trying to serve us over the next week.

9 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Comparing Scottish players in different era's is utterly stupid. 1991 was pre Bosman and the 3 foreigner rule was still in play. All Scottish teams would have had a squad full of Scottish players and id be pretty confident in predicting that Rangers had a lower % of Scottish players in their squad than any other team in the League. Celtic had 13 out of 21.

Not only would Rangers have had less Scottish players than all other teams, they were also spending big money (money they didn't have) to bury their competition in their attempt to dominate Europe (which they failed miserably at btw). Rightly or wrongly the other teams were forced to make an attempt at competing or being left behind. This eventually had a drastic effect on the amount of Scottish youth being given game time.

While all clubs played their own part in the decline of Scottish football, Rangers were the catalyst behind it all. The fact they done it with money they didn't have or couldn't afford to pay back means that they will be given the majority of the blame and rightly so. The other teams realised they couldn't afford to keep up and eventually backed off while the Rangers juggernaut went full steam ahead, not giving a f**k about anybody else until they crashed and burned.

Thank you!

Good grief, lads. It's not that hard to understand.

1 hour ago, Tartantony said:

So what, the fact remains that souness still used more scottish players than his successors, this isn't a debate on what rangers as a club did, it was souness getting the blame when he regularly used 5 scottish internationals at that time, what happened after that had f**k all to do with him and as i said earlier, if Scottish football is still suffering the effects of souness' 5 years at ibrox, a full quarter century after he fucked off, then our game needs a long hard look at itself for not sorting itself out in that time

Germany set out a ten year plan to dominate world football, they succeeded, here we are still using souness regime at ibrox as an excuse for the failings of Scottish football 25 years later :lol:

Fact is scotland still managed to qualify for a major finals 7 years after souness left and a full 3 years after the 3 foreigner rule was binned, our failings after that come as a result of teams actions post 1998 not because one guy spent money in 1986

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

So what, the fact remains that souness still used more scottish players than his successors, this isn't a debate on what rangers as a club did, it was souness getting the blame when he regularly used 5 scottish internationals at that time, what happened after that had f**k all to do with him and as i said earlier, if Scottish football is still suffering the effects of souness' 5 years at ibrox, a full quarter century after he fucked off, then our game needs a long hard look at itself for not sorting itself out in that time

Germany set out a ten year plan to dominate world football, they succeeded, here we are still using souness regime at ibrox as an excuse for the failings of Scottish football 25 years later :lol:

Fact is scotland still managed to qualify for a major finals 7 years after souness left and a full 3 years after the 3 foreigner rule was binned, our failings after that come as a result of teams actions post 1998 not because one guy spent money in 1986

In Germany, fan ownership of huge clubs is normal, a concept alien to a fanbase who still talk of 'warchests' and expect ageing celebrities from down south to form the basis of a title challenge. The Rangers fans have never got past the Murray model of a rich man with a chequebook being the answer, you still have it now with Dave King. Rangers are as close to the opposite of modern German football club ownership as you will find in Europe. If you are our biggest and most successful club, as your fanbase likes to claim, then you set a lousy example of stewardship to the rest of us.

I got into London quite late on Friday after the stansted express was delayed so didn't see a lot of fans until I got into the station heading to Wembley, most the fans I seen were fine, there was a few exceptions naturally, but there always will be.

5 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I hate the Tartan Army. I really do. Sharing a train carriage with them between Glasgow and London for almost five hours was torture. Boorish, middle-class arseholes with a serious lack of self-awareness.

I've also shared a carriage on the same route with Rangers fans. It wasn't five hours of drunken arseholes getting on my nerves, it was five hours of sectarianism, racism and general nastiness. The threatening atmosphere they created was horrible and unlike anything I've ever experienced since. Rangers fans are the lowest of the low. Complete and utter savages.

Forgive me for being reluctant to sit and allow lectures on fan behaviour from fans of that club.

Example of having to spend time with Rangers fans aside, you've posted pretty much the same as I was going to.

The Tartan Army seem to have a pretty sizeable quota of absolute cringe-merchants (photos from Trafalgar Sq e.g.) but Rangers fans are in a league of their own.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Cmon now. Old Rangers have a lot to answer for but the quality of the current national team isn't one of them. We have no plan or structure in place to help us produce better players and also a severe lack of funding in facilities.

The evidence suggests I hate Rangers much less than you, Lichtie. 

I do actually believe that Murray's approach distorted the Scottish game badly. He's not to blame for what other clubs did (for example Dundee) but there was a cultural shift that started with Souness walking into Ibrox, dismantling the wage structure, signing half the England squad, and enthusiastically embracing his pal Murray's unsustainable plans, which he strongly defends to this day. 

That period is also absolutely integral to Rangers identity. They still haven't gotten past it or made sense of it, and it would do them the world of good if they could.

The fault of the current state of affairs, lies entirely with the governing bodies' failure to ever address the clubs who were continually pissing money away in plain sight.

In the case of 1872-2012, they were definitely considered one of the two Golden geese. The reaction to their well known problems was farcical, let alone the fallout when the inevitable occurred. It's almost as if the powers-that-don't-be in the corridors were desperate to keep Kinning Park's seat warm for them, after failing to bully the clubs into wrong and hasty decisions (of which a lot of Rangers fans were glad for, incidentally) but the truth is the clubs have hung on to the coattails of the Cheeks for as long as the SFA have bent over backwards for them. 

Arseholes like Strachan and Boyd can go on all they like about Rangers not being in the top flight all they like, but that's only to appease the complete retards on Superscoreboard and the Record Hotline, nothing to do with how it has damaged the game to the point its at right now. 

And it's not Souness' fault either. The clubs got themselves in the mess, and then fucked up when they tried to branch out with SPL TV. Those bitching about the OF hegemony, were only to quick to pull the ladder up themselves. Marr, Yorkston, Boyle, Robinson, every one an arsehole. 

Whoever said above that Rangers fans are utterly wedded to the idea of a rich man with a chequebook giving the manager a war-chest is bang on the money. That's what most of these fans experience of supporting their club is and they can't move past it. When Rangers went bust I thought, maybe something good could happen here, maybe they could build a future with fans involvement, maybe they could make a break from the past, maybe they could leave bigotry behind, use their big fan base to get involved, build a club from the ground up, develop young players, doe something positive. When David Moyes took over at Everton he said that they were the "People's Club" and Rangers could've built that. They might not have succeeded overtaking Celtic but they'd have a cob to be proud of in the long term.

But nope, they are worse in just about every count. Rather than build an inclusive ownership model, they rely on sugar daddies who, shock horror, turn out to be shysters. The atmosphere and bigotry is worse to be honest, the two games at Ibrox I've seen since 2012 have been poison, worse than before. And even on the pitch they've been shite.

The reason, of course, is that a large number of their fans don't care about their club, not the way that other fans do. They care about getting it up Celtic, about the shallow false community built from singing the party songs. That's why they can't try and build a sustainable club, they HAVE to play catch up, they HAVE to try and get big name signings because that's Rangers. But ultimately, it's all hollow. Chances are they'll never catch Celtic, barring a misstep from the Celtic board. More likely that they end up in financial trouble again. It's a missed opportunity but Rangers only have themselves to blame.

Archived