14th Oct, The Gers visit Inverness

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, bennett said:

A wee break before this game, can we make it two wins in a row?

Fodsy

Wallace, Danny, Clint, Tav

Holt, Halliday, Windass

McKay, Kenny, Waggy

I don't think playing Tavernier at LB and 'the Grass' at RB is a viable option? :whistle

Five unbeaten for us now, but we were very poor yesterday after four pretty impressive performances, and extremely lucky to get away with a point. Obviously we shouldn't expect to maintain the same level of perfomance for every game, but I'm hoping that having lost our foothold in the game yesterday against a team that just looked more up for it than we were, the players will remember how sharp and aggressive they have to be in every game, and that we'll see a reaction in this game.

When we're at our best (i.e. not yesterday, when, unusually, we lost the midfield battle), I think we can match most teams in the league through the centre of the park, with the strength and experience of Warren, Meekings, Draper and Tansey - we dominated St Johnstone, Aberdeen, and Dundee in that area and made life very difficult for Celtic there too. I don't know much about this Rangers team, but on the basis of their results so far, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't at the very least be able to make life very difficult for them in the areas where we're at our strongest.

Where we are most limited, and most likely to lose momentum and control of the game, is in the forward areas. The wingers King and Mulraney both have plenty of skill and, in Mulraney's case, pace to burn, but they lack strength and are easily knocked off the ball, and I suspect that they both lack a bit of experience and guile when it comes to decision-making and final balls. The fact that Foran has frequently preferred Liam Polworth, who is clearly far more comfortable and effective in a central role, to Mulraney out wide, suggests that he still has doubts about areas of Mulraney's game. Aaron Doran is another option, out wide or behind the striker, and he is tricky enough to make life very difficult for any defenders, but he probably doesn't have the engine or the game-time this season to be considered for a start. Returning to King and Mulraney, Foran tends to play them on the 'wrong' wings - that is, the right-footed Mulraney on the left and the left-footed King on the right - which means that they have to cut in all the time rather than getting crosses in from near the bye-line, and this seems counter-intuitive given that all three of our strikers are essentially target men who are most likely to benefit from high-pressing and dangerous balls played across goal. Centre-forward is, by some distance, our weakest area at the moment. All three of Scott Boden, Alex Fisher and Lonsana Doumbouya have been given significant game time in the league this season, and so far have two goals between them; one each for Fisher and Doumbouya, and none for Boden. Doumbouya, as the most physically imposing of the three, is likely to start this game, but unless we are able to get out of our own half with some sort of regularity, then his job will be restricted to trying to hold the ball up and trying to make something out of long balls. The danger of having a forward line composed of an immobile striker and two easily-bullied wingers is that we may find ourselves being forced deeper and deeper and just hanging on again, as we did yesterday.

I'm a stuck record when it comes to the subject of Iain Vigurs' ineffectiveness over 90 minutes, but I do think that our best chance in this game is to move Polworth into the middle and drop Vigurs. This gives us more pace, strength and ability to close down quickly in the centre; Draper can play the number 10 role behind Doumbouya without having to drop back so much to compensate for Vigurs' lack of presence, thus giving us strength and dynamism right through the centre of the park, and if that isn't proving successful, then Draper and Polworth can swap places, as they did against Dundee. I would also like to see Mulraney and King start on their natural sides, thus giving a line-up of:

Fon Williams

Mckay Warren Meekings Tremarco

Tansey Polworth

Mulraney Draper King

Doumbouya

We've got a reasonable record in these sorts of televised games, and a wee repeat of the December 2006 evening kick-off would do very nicely.

Initially before the baiting commences can I just, on behalf of the ICT posters on P&B, say respects to Ryan Baird and thoughts go out to the family. Speedy recoveries to all the injured parties as well.

rangers.jpg

Where is it OK to go and not return home?

I fancy a more streetwise team than ourselves with a history of doing well against the OF like Inverness to take something here. Rangers weren't very impressive at all yesterday against a mince outfit like us, just papered over the cracks.

10 hours ago, bennett said:

A wee break before this game, can we make it two wins in a row?

Fodsy

Wallace, Danny, Clint, Tav

Holt, Halliday, Windass

McKay, Kenny, Waggy

Fodsy? Waggy? Tav?

Are you Stuart McCall!? 

21 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Initially before the baiting commences can I just, on behalf of the ICT posters on P&B, say respects to Ryan Baird and thoughts go out to the family. Speedy recoveries to all the injured parties as well.

rangers.jpg

Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks. The general reaction of P&B to this has been mature and sympathetic and we Rangers fans, who can have a bit of a seige mentality, are grateful.

12 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Where is it OK to go and not return home?

That's a point worthy of a discussion but better raised, maybe, in GN rather than here?  I think we should draw a line under this as far as the match thread goes.

As for the game?  We played some good stuff against Aberdeen and we skooshed the second half yesterday.  We're brittle, though.  I think Windass and/or Rossiter would make a difference to us.so I'd start with Bennett's team.

rangers.jpg

So sad to hear about Ryan Baird RIP true blue teddy bear thoughts and prayers got out to Ryans friends and family gone but us teddy bears will never forget [emoji22][emoji170]

Archived