Commonwealth Games - worth it?

Bully Wee Villa

As Brum is now in the bidding for these in 2026, I thought I'd ask the resident Glaswegians if they think it's worth it?

Did Glasgow benefit financially? Is there much of a sporting legacy left behind?

Pretty handy if you own a chemists that sells asthma medication......

Glasgow has a nice new velodrome and is hosting or has hosted world or European championship Gymnastics, Track Cycling, Swimming and will be hosting the first edition of the European Sports Championships (the athletics are being held in Berlin and Glasgow will host the aquatics, cycling, gymnastics, rowing, and a new team golf championship) so the sporting legacy is strong. I'm sure it made the city money too.

I'm quite prepared to believe that it won't have made as much money and "economic impact" as the bold predictions in advance, and that the sporting legacies - particularly in level of participation - won't have been as much as was forecast. However, I'd be equally surprised if there wasn't any economic impact or sporting legacy. It'll simply be a question of degree. People say it "transformed the global image of Glasgow" and again I'd be sceptical of going that far but I'm sure it helped. It appears has contributed to them winning the right to other world and continental championships in individual sports.

Ultimately whether anyone admits it or not, cities bid for major sporting events to show off and stand in the global limelight for a couple of weeks. It's almost an ego thing. You get that and some new facilities to use in the future; you maybe make some money - or lose some - from the Games themselves; you maybe get some post-Games tourism. It's not difficult to win - the last few CG bid processes have almost been 'one-horse races'.

What venues would Birmingham use? Will it require a new purpose-built athletics stadium?

I'm quite prepared to believe that it won't have made as much money and "economic impact" as the bold predictions in advance, and that the sporting legacies - particularly in level of participation - won't have been as much as was forecast. However, I'd be equally surprised if there wasn't any economic impact or sporting legacy. It'll simply be a question of degree. People say it "transformed the global image of Glasgow" and again I'd be sceptical of going that far but I'm sure it helped. It appears has contributed to them winning the right to other world and continental championships in individual sports.

Ultimately whether anyone admits it or not, cities bid for major sporting events to show off and stand in the global limelight for a couple of weeks. It's almost an ego thing. You get that and some new facilities to use in the future; you maybe make some money - or lose some - from the Games themselves; you maybe get some post-Games tourism. It's not difficult to win - the last few CG bid processes have almost been 'one-horse races'.

What venues would Birmingham use? Will it require a new purpose-built athletics stadium?

Agree on most of those points. Think Glasgow actually ended up in profit under budget though which the Yoon parties were desperate to have deleted from the referendum campaign. Thought the rugby 7s was a big success in cg arguably a better spectacle than Olympics albeit Fiji were missed. Not sure how many sports really see cg as very relevant these days. Eta due to predictive txt.

The Weege scrubbed up brilliantly for the CG.  No idea what the financial implications were/are but it was a brilliant show all round and The Beeb covered it very well.  A really enjoyable couple of weeks of sport with Tattie Marshall setting the Commonwealth's heather ablaze!

14 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Agree on most of those points. Think Glasgow actually ended up in profit under budget though which the Yoon parties were desperate to have deleted from the referendum campaign. Thought the rugby 7s was a big success in cg arguably a better spectacle than Olympics albeit Fiji were missed. Not sure how many sports really see cg as very relaxant these days.

That predictive text ;)

The Weege scrubbed up brilliantly for the CG.  No idea what the financial implications were/are but it was a brilliant show all round and The Beeb covered it very well.  A really enjoyable couple of weeks of sport with Tattie Marshall setting the Commonwealth's heather ablaze!

That predictive text [emoji6]

Lol yeah I meant relevant! ! [emoji16]

I'll disagree on the bbc coverage. It was horribly England centric and felt very patronising in some ways to weeg (admittedly no more patronising than they were to Manchester). Anything north of Watford is to the bbc 'them'.

6 minutes ago, dogmc said:

I'll disagree on the bbc coverage. It was horribly England centric and felt very patronising in some ways to weeg (admittedly no more patronising than they were to Manchester). Anything north of Watford is to the bbc 'them'.

I am sure that the old trope was 'Watford Gap' which is many miles north of Watford.  Still, let's not allow facts to blind us.

I don't watch a lot of 'live' telly but my recall was that The BBC did justice to The CG and can't recall it being England-centric and, certainly, when I got in from work could easily find the matters that interested me.

I am sure that the old trope was 'Watford Gap' which is many miles north of Watford.  Still, let's not allow facts to blind us.

I don't watch a lot of 'live' telly but my recall was that The BBC did justice to The CG and can't recall it being England-centric and, certainly, when I got in from work could easily find the matters that interested me.

So essentially you haven't got any real factual evidence to disagree that bbc was England centric but you still do disagree....hard to work out which football team you support lol....shame the recent updates left all the Commonwealth's threads deleted....still it would have meant some people could dodge their prev history

4 minutes ago, dogmc said:

So essentially you haven't got any real factual evidence to disagree that bbc was England centric but you still do disagree....hard to work out which football team you support lol....shame the recent updates left all the Commonwealth's threads deleted....still it would have meant some people could dodge their prev history

I watched a lot of the CG coverage on BBC iPlayer in the evenings (usually) and it did not strike me as being England-centric.  That you turn this observation in to some comment on my team of choice is typically diddy.

BTW the if you know their history trope should be directed at the lesser Glasgow club ;)

We have an athletics stadium but it holds 15,000 or so, so not big enough. The articles I've read don't seem very clear on whether events would be held at the Alexander Stadium with a large expansion of capacity, at Villa Park or at a new stadium.

We could easily host the shooting at any of my local pubs, they'd be used to it.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We seem to have beaten Liverpool to be chosen as the UK's preferred bidder, which puts us in a strong position to host the Games, now.

I've decided to be quite pleased. If it's good for the city, and the scum from the Coventry Road don't get a free stadium out of it, then I'm in favour.

Hopefully it'll encourage them to improve the abysmal public transport in the city, too.

Edit: for 2022, not 2026 as I stated in the OP.

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:59, HibeeJibee said:

Don't know if mentioned elsewhere - Durban, the only bidder, have been stripped of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Talk of Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham or London stepping-in.

Bump.

Victoria had looked at bidding but have withdrawn - and Birmingham has been favoured over Liverpool.

So it looks like it'll be Birmingham 2022 with athletics at the Alexander Stadium :lol:!