Commonwealth Games - worth it?

Bully Wee Villa

We got the games then. Happy with that. Hope cricket gets added but, regardless, I'll most likely try to get tickets for something or other.
Loved going to the Rugby when Glasgow hosted. All the best to Birmingham.

We got the games then. Happy with that. Hope cricket gets added but, regardless, I'll most likely try to get tickets for something or other.

I was at one session of athletics at Hampden and both evening sessions of the rugby 7s in Glasgow, would thoroughly recommend going to see something. My wife and daughter went to gymnastics and said it was amazing to see in the flesh.

Really? Oh dear. I suppose it's not too far from Brum by train. Is Manchester not just as close? Is there anything else not in Birmingham? I shouldn't be too critical since the diving was in Edinburgh for the Glasgow games.
The shooting was even further away, that was held in Carnoustie.

Really? Oh dear. I suppose it's not too far from Brum by train. Is Manchester not just as close? Is there anything else not in Birmingham? I shouldn't be too critical since the diving was in Edinburgh for the Glasgow games.

I think it's because, due to Durban pulling out, there is less time to prepare than usual.

Other than the cycling, the events are all being held in Greater Birmingham, I think. Netball in Coventry, swimming in Sandwell. Everything else here, although it's yet to be confirmed which sports will be in it.

In comparison to Glasgow, next year at Gold Coast has dropped Judo, and added Basketball and Beach Volleyball.

Rugby 7s for women has been added after lobbying on equity grounds. (However there will be Netball and Rhythmic Gymnastics for women only).

Birmingham are planning to add Cricket, again for women only.

It seems Shooting will be omitted, and going by venue list so too will both types of Volleyball? It seems Judo will be restored.

Nothing planned to use St Andrew's?

In comparison to Glasgow, next year at Gold Coast has dropped Judo, and added Basketball and Beach Volleyball.

Rugby 7s for women has been added after lobbying on equity grounds. (However there will be Netball and Rhythmic Gymnastics for women only).

Birmingham are planning to add Cricket, again for women only.

It seems Shooting will be omitted, and going by venue list so too will both types of Volleyball? It seems Judo will be restored.

Nothing planned to use St Andrew's?
Judo will definitely feature in Birmingham. The British Judo Centre of Excellence is in Walsall and both England and Scotland will field competitors in every weight category with a chance of medals for most of the squad.

On 12/21/2017 at 19:24, peasy23 said:

I was at one session of athletics at Hampden and both evening sessions of the rugby 7s in Glasgow, would thoroughly recommend going to see something. My wife and daughter went to gymnastics and said it was amazing to see in the flesh.

I went to the Badminton with a mate. He was so pished he got into an argument with a Badminton enthusiast seated behind us and was asked to leave.

People make Glasgow.

• 3 years later...
On 21/12/2017 at 11:05, Bully Wee Villa said:

On 21/12/2017 at 19:24, peasy23 said:

On 21/12/2017 at 20:07, Salvo Montalbano said:

Went to the Boxing, Rugby, Athletics and Moutain biking in Manchester and Athletics and Gymnastics in Glasgow (wanted cycling and/or swimming but didn't manage to get tickets) and enjoyed it all. Might even come down if I can get cycling tickets this time round.

On 03/01/2018 at 11:06, gavin_3110 said:

I went to the Badminton with a mate. He was so pished he got into an argument with a Badminton enthusiast seated behind us and was asked to leave. People make Glasgow.

Bump.

Got a decent few days of action in ticket ballot... Rhythmic Gymnastics + Athletics; Badminton + Boxing + Table Tennis; Diving. Missed out on Squash.

Seems like Birmingham 2022 will be "last Commonwealth Games as we know it":

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/commonwealth-games-only-two-compulsory-sports-games-set-major-revamp-2021-10-11/

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/commonwealth-games-downsize-birmingham-2022-louise-martin-host/

https://www.espn.com/commonwealth-games/story/_/id/32423003/commonwealth-games-search-new-host-way-forward

b*****d, I wanted athletics. Still, me brother got cricket and boxing so will be attending them. 🙂

Not keen on them reducing the number of sports. The obvious solution is to spread the events throughout a country, like the World Cup, rather than expecting one city to provide all the facilities. Even multiple countries wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa