Punk/Ska/Reggae

Girth

2 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Often the case with these guys.

Terry Hall did a DJ set in Dundee a few weeks ago. The venue was full of aging mods and skinheads in Fred Perry and Doc Martins all expecting a set of two tone and ska. Hall was completely oblivious to the crowd and just played loads of shite 90s chart music like Groove is in the Heart and Here Comes The Hotstepper. It was both embarrassing and hilarious at the same time. The ska crowd were fucking fuming.

Speaking of Dundee, here's the city's greatest reggae band...

No self awareness, that's their issue. Jobson sang a five minute a capella version of "Waltzing Matilda". Seriously...

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2022 at 15:06, cb_diamond said:

I'm sure this was on one of the Epitaph Punk-o-rama samplers back in the day (maybe #3). It's a belting song.

It was indeed! 3 and 4 had some cracking tunes on.

4 hours ago, Girth said:

It was indeed! 3 and 4 had some cracking tunes on.

I remember 3 having a cracking front end run, NOFX, the dwarves, bouncing souls, all and voodoo glow skulls. I've covered "say anything" by the bouncing souls at every punk gig I've played since about 1998 😂😂

10 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I remember 3 having a cracking front end run, NOFX, the dwarves, bouncing souls, all and voodoo glow skulls. I've covered "say anything" by the bouncing souls at every punk gig I've played since about 1998 😂😂

Remember going to see these around 2000 and smacking my head on a giant post in the venue. Great gig!

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Remember going to see these around 2000 and smacking my head on a giant post in the venue. Great gig!

I used to hate most of this sound but there's a punk station on my satellite radio and it plays them. I'm getting more into it.

12 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

I used to hate most of this sound but there's a punk station on my satellite radio and it plays them. I'm getting more into it.

It’s a fine line with all these bands. It’s easy to do well but also incredibly easy to do badly.  

8 minutes ago, Girth said:

It’s a fine line with all these bands. It’s easy to do well but also incredibly easy to do badly.  

Agree with this. The quality control filter will twitch a lot with late 90s/early 00s "skate punk"

• 2 weeks later...