East of Scotland Cup

Queenserse

2 hours ago, Queenserse said:

Will there be a change to the format of the EoS Cup this year?

Don't think so but presumably you  mean the winners playing the City Cup v Berwick Rangers. 

Edit: If my memory serves me right there would be a City Cup semi final with the 2 eos cup finalists v Berwick and Edinburgh City but that was the format  years ago when Meadowbank were involved  ? 

It'll all depend if Edinburgh City enter I suppose. 

All members of the EOSFA have to play in their competitions. Hearts and Hibs play in the EOS Shield; all other SPFL members play in the EOS Cup, alongside a number of qualifiers to bring it up to a round number (2, 4, 8 or whatever); all non-SPFL members play in the EOS Qualifying Cup.

It says in the LL fixture list p4 that the East of Scotland Cup Semi-Finals are Tuesday 28th March (Berwick Rangers v tbc) and Wednesday 29th March (Edinburgh City v tbc) with the Final due 3 weeks later:

http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/The-Scottish-Lowland-Football-League-Season-2016-17-Fixture-List1.pdf

EOS Qualifying Cup Final is down for Sunday 19th March, although by then both the winning Semi-Finalists (due Saturday 21st January) will have qualified for the EOS Cup proper.

Format always used to be like that until Livingston quit the EOSFA while a mad Italian was in charge.

I would like to think it will make it a slightly bigger deal for Berwick fans - entering straight into the Final every year felt faintly ridiculous, and there is now the chance of a Final against a fellow Scottish League club (on the otherhand playing a non-league club meant more variety I suppose).

Coughlin is an older-school manager so may also treat it more seriously selection-wise. That said he did so in his previous stint and Spartans beat Berwick in the final 3 seasons running!

If Livingston were still EOSFA members then logically the EOS Cup would be featuring Berwick, Edinburgh City, Livingston, and the Qualifying Cup winner to make 4.

If you ever got to the stage of 4 clubs in the Scottish League you'd presumably have the 4 Qualifying Cup Semi-Finalists qualify to make 8. Don't think that's ever happened, though.

Of course one of the strange aspects of the competition is that East Kilbride, the holders, cannot defend the East of Scotland Cup unless they reach the Qualifying Cup final.

Last point of historical interest for now - from late 1970s to late 1980s, Berwick and Meadowbank played in both the Shield and the Cup.

Archived