Perth St Johnstone @ Dingwall Ross County

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An underwhelming rollercoaster ride of not being terrible enough to enjoy a relegation dogfight but not being good enough to finish in the top six beckons.

giphy.gif

That 9th place prize money tho.

PowttJS.gif

Haven't seen us play that badly in a long time. Taking nothing away from St Johnstone who were excellent. 

Lack of goals becoming a major worry. Franks just doesn't cut it for me, the sooner we can get Burke and Dow up to speed the better.

No complaints, St Johnstone were far better than we were. After slating him last season Murray Davidson shut me up today, thought he was excellent. 

How Jay McEveley ever got a Scotland cap is beyond me, he's a disaster waiting to happen. The frustrating thing is that he looks so convincing at times but always seems to have a crippling mistake in him.

Good to see Morrison do ok, some nice touches although he wasn't exactly involved in the game. Hope the injury to Boyce isn't too bad because we could be in serious trouble if it is. International break coming at a good time in that regard. 

Think Yoda has nailed it, we are never going to go down but no chance at top six either IMO. 7th-9th is our ceiling this season and I'd happily take that. 

That was easy. Thought Davidson was excellent in the middle and Anderson won everything at the back. Steven MacLean as beautiful as ever. He would kill Martin Woods.

Boyce looked absolutely fucked and a bit poor of our fans to shout "dig a hole" at a guy wriggling in agony.

Hi guyz, just thought I'd pop in to send my congratulations to my top boi Chris Kane on another goal for the Premiership's people's champions.

On a side note, do you have another striker we can borrow? None of ours can score.

Thanks in advance

Sonsteam x

That was easy. Thought Davidson was excellent in the middle and Anderson won everything at the back. Steven MacLean as beautiful as ever. He would kill Martin Woods.

Boyce looked absolutely fucked and a bit poor of our fans to shout "dig a hole" at a guy wriggling in agony.

"FAN" Perhaps. The majority of our support clapped him off the park.

A nice day out. A bit too sunny for my liking. I prefer cold, wet weather. Apparently it's considered normal to enjoy sunny weather nowadays. What's that all about?

Anyway, we looked very comfortable aside from a fifteen minute spell at the start of the second half. Even then, we were rarely troubled. I use the word 'insipid' a lot, but Ross County really were the epitome of 'insipid' today. From what I've seen so far, we should be gunning for 2nd place. Celtic will win the league at a canter. Anything else is up for grabs. Hearts, Aberdeen and Saints are clearly the best of the rest.

A perfect example yesterday from Jim McIntyre on how not to influence a game. County had come right back into the match and were well on top in the first 20 minutes of the second half, then he makes a double change, introducing two players who hadn't played competitively, let alone with their new team, since at least May. All the momentum was gone with the entry of Burke and Dow and Saints snatched a second as they finally managed to get a foothold again.

County will fairly claim they were poor in the first half but I thought Saints were really good, as we were when we won in Dingwall post-split last season. As such, disappointing to hear Radio Scotland doing the same as they did on that occasion and talking the game down. Putting the miserable Barry Wilson aside though, a dominant first half show from Saints, giving nothing away at the back, winning everything in midfield and looking relatively creative in attack. It would have been nice to test Fox and bit more but in terms of blocks and crucial interventions, I thought County defended well.

For the penalty, I think McEveley was caught out by MacLean winning the header against Quinn and just panicked when he realised Kane was goal side of him. No doubt about the award. It also allowed me to realise it wasn't Andrew Davies!

County were much better after the break, they started winning the second balls in midfield and got the full backs into much more advanced areas. They had a couple of very close things before McIntyre fucked it with the subs. Looked a sublime pass from Swanson for the clincher and glad to see Kane get a goal off the back of winning the penalty. He's still not kicked on as I'd hoped and not sure he's much more than a third or fourth choice striker but when MacLean is playing as well as he did yesterday, it must make it easier to play up front for anyone. It's just a copy and paste on Swanson every week, he's great to watch and thought Alston had a really good first half, as did the colossal Davidson. After a few dodgy weeks, Shaughnessy stood up and was counted when we were under pressure approaching the hour mark whilst Foster produced a performance that proved a point. Clark seemed to have his boots on the wrong feet but made a crucial intervention from a Franks drive.

To be sitting fourth when we're the only team to have had five away games (and our three homes have been against Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts) looks pretty good but we let ourselves down at times against the teams just below us in the league last season so no room for complacency with the games coming up.

Hopefully the news on Liam Boyce isn't too bad. Despair that anyone, drink or not, thinks it's acceptable to abuse a player clearly in agony a few yards from you though. Only sour point of a good day, with a good Saints support.

13 hours ago, yoda said:

Good to hear that Jay McEveley is a hapless bombscare. Since Martin Woods has improved his performances I'm needing a new scapegoat.

I wouldn't worry about that, Woods was playing consistently better but was less good again yesterday.

Dominated by Davidson, didn't put a tackle in when St Johnstone had their best spell of possession, then more often than not needed three or four touches/feints to move the ball on (Routis was quicker with it but could actually do with taking a touch rather than being too ambitious).  St Johnstone's midfield moved the ball about with one and two-touch football, and looked to get passes wide and early to Swanson asap. By contrast Woods slowed everything down when the wingers needed early passes to get 1v1.  A nice wee first time pass to Franks from close to the dugouts at the end of the first half was the exception. Franks rarely saw the ball in the first half. The unwillingness to switch the play early was a  problem, but the team started moving the ball quicker in the second half.

Woods put in a good challenge to set the tone for a comeback at the beginning of the second half, but by the end of the game ought to have been sent off with his niggles on others. Foster got right under his skin!

I thought St Johnstone were good value for their half-time lead, with Swanson threatening to pull off something special at any time within 35 yards of goal. Davidson lacked a bit of quality in the final third but his power and runs away from Woods caused problems. Fraser did a good job of curtailing Swanson on the flank, but the danger was when Swanson moved in between the lines. He played a brilliant chipped ball over the top of the defence in the first half that induced panic and there were a few moments where some good last-ditch blocks stopped St Johnstone from scoring.  

Swanson's assist for Kane's goal was lovely. St Johnstone might be be stuffy when defending - in a good way - but Swanson's roaming from the left gives an element of unpredictability that County sorely lack at the moment. Boyce's quality in the box is so heavily relied upon - he has scored every league goal but one, with the other being Curran's tap in from a Boyce shot.  

The biggest positive for me was Morrison putting himself about a bit more than I had seen from his substitute appearances.  Boyce prefers to drop deep than play on the shoulder so they didn't strike much of a rapport, but Morrison looks like he could be a good player with experience, with ability to play with his back to goal and the kind of chasing down defenders that Jim likes. 

Chris Kane diving to get a penalty? Disgrace.

Looks fairly clear from the highlights, tbh, defenders all over him.

That pass for the second btw... Swanson is my true love.

Worry about us going through a dip like last season, but the gap we already have over some clubs is easing that fear.

Archived