East Fife v Stenhousemuir

After Saturdays impressive performance and result I'm hopeful we can take 3 points from this game. Stenhousemuir won't be no pushovers and there result against Alloa last Saturday was unexpected and will give them a lift. Any win will do to open up a decent gap between us. Mon the Fife

I always get a bad feeling whenever we play East Fife, and this week is no different. They've shown that, on their day, they're a match for any team in the division and I reckon they'll be pushing for a top-four finish come the end of the season.

Providing we don't give away goals again, I reckon we'll give them a good game. One thing you cannot fault is our team's attitude and mentality and if we can show the same spirit we did in the second half against Peterhead and Alloa Athletic, we can take something from this. I'd keep the same starting XI that featured against the Wasps last Saturday.

The heart says a score draw but the head's saying a home win.

Really looking forward to Saturday. Stent have shown in their last two home games that they have a bit of resilience about them having come back from two goals behind against Peterhead and Alloa. Furtado looks a decent player and Alan Cook looks to have rediscovered some of the drive we rarely saw at Bayview. However, Gary won't allow the players to underestimate the Warriors and I'm sure he'll have a game plan to exploit their weaknesses. Paul McManus and Kevin O'Hara both looked sharp on Tuesday albeit against a poor Burntisland Shipyard team, but 5 goals between them will certainly give a bit of confidence. Hopefully Saturday will see a return to the squad for Scott Robinson who can be a big player for us. Hopefully we can get another win before the International break and consolidate our place in the top 4. Mon the Fife !!

Great to hear Robinson is fit again.

I'd go with

Hurst 

Mercer. Kane. Page. Naysmith

Wilkie. Slattery

Lamont. Robinson. Smith

Insall

tough on Ross Brown but I think that is our best starting 11. With McManus & O'Hara on the bench we have strikers that can come on and make a difference. Mon the Fife

1-0 to Stenny. East Fife definitely the better of the two but didn't do enough with the ball. Couldn't seem to break down the Stenny defence - apart from a brief spell when Kevin Smith kept getting past McCormack. Kerr, with his strength and pace, did a good job keeping Jamie Insall quiet. EF resorted to long aimless balls far too often. They had a couple of good chances to score but didn't create enough. The fact that they had 17 corners and managed not to score was an achievement I guess. McCabe didn't have a great deal to do but made some good saves.

Stenny, on the other hand, did very little in an attacking sense. Shaw looked very isolated, as McMenamin kept dropping deep to help defend. They had a couple of spells looking really good - the odd five minutes - but Mark Hurst had little to do. Liked the look of Furtardo. Guy can pick out a pass from anywhere. Seemed to keep the ball a little too long at times, though.

Can't complain about the pen. Corner came in and definitely touched Naysmith's hand. Not sure if it was intentional. Ref didn't give it at first, so I guess it was the linesman who called it.

Overall, Stenny deserved it. It doesn't matter how much of the ball and how many chances EF have if they don't score. Stenny defence were excellent after a shaky start.

Great that we have got our first win of the season. We may not be dominating games at the moment but there is a spirit in the team where we are grinding results out. This should give our confidence a boost - wonder if some of our fans still think we are certs to go down.?

That was fucking awful!!!
We should have been out of sight after 20 minutes, but failure to take any of our chances came to bite us on the arse. Stenhousemuir are it has to be said, an appalling side and were there to be beaten, they never looked like scoring for the entire match and it took a gift of a penalty for them to even have a meaningful shot on target. And when I say a gift of a penalty, I mean a gift from us, not the referee, no complaints, it was a penalty, although an entirely needless one to give away!!!
The longer the game went on the more likely it looked that no matter how much possession we had, and it was a lot, we weren't going to score. Stenhousemuir's keeper won them that game, he produced some really outstanding saves, the ones he clawed out of the top corner from Lamont and Wilkie were absolutely worldies, it's just a shame he ruined his display with the blatant time wasting antics, but then again he wasn't the only one guilty of it, I think his were just the most noticeable, I know if roles were reversed, we would probably have done the same but still it isn't good to see!!!
I think that we'll just have to put it down as a bad day at the office, the longer the game went on the more frustrated and disjointed our players became, it actually wasn't until the final 10-15 minutes when Wilkie was pushed further up did we start string some good/better stuff together but by then Stennie's defense had grown in confidence and were proving harder to get past!!!
Anyway a week off and time for Gary to have a think, perhaps about starting with two up front, getting Wilkie out of that quite frankly ridiculous defensive mid role he has him playing in and also not being afraid to make substitutions earlier if things aren't going to plan!!!

Totally agree about Kyle Wilkie wasted as a defensive midfielder.A very frustrating game points thrown away against a poor Stenny side which on today's display is most unlikely to finish out with the bottom two.East Fife  took far too long to change the system and personnel and paid the price.

56 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

We should have been out of sight after 20 minutes, but failure to take any of our chances came to bite us on the arse. Stenhousemuir are it has to be said, an appalling side and were there to be beaten, they never looked like scoring for the entire match and it took a gift of a penalty for them to even have a meaningful shot on target. And when I say a gift of a penalty, I mean a gift from us, not the referee, no complaints, it was a penalty, although an entirely needless one to give away!!!

This paragraph makes me so happy.

Archived