Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turns out the game was on a big screen where I was working, so I saw most of the game.

Bit of luck for Sam's opener, and a great strike from Djoum.

Little bit of magic from McFadden late on.

Hard fought game, from what I saw - chances missed by both teams - delighted with three points.

Away to look for highlights now.

And a beer. :cheers

Samson, of course had no chances with the goals, but his overall "presence" causes alarm in the defence and the stands. Needs replaced pronto.

Have to agree with that. I kind of feel at times like I'm being wilfully critical of Samson and finding faults "just because" but it seems clear that there's an underlying issue in our defence and it's not simply a case of saying "they're pish".

When McManus & Heneghan are dealing with balls 20-25 yards out they often look comfortable. Both were winning their fair share of headers this evening however when balls come into the box and drop around the 6 yard line it seems absolute panic. There's so much hesitation and indecision around our defending in those sort of areas a lot of it seems to stem from the relationship the back 4 have with the goalkeeper.

Samson seems increasingly rooted to his line and the past couple of weeks he looks like he's getting caught on his heels with balls played back to his feet. There have been more than a few near things with him being closed down despite him having plenty time to clear the ball.

Whilst it's fair to say Samson didn't cost us the game tonight he simply isn't convincing. Surely McGhee can't be watching our overall defensive performances and be thinking "Yep, that's fine". Again, it raises the question of how long it'll be before Brill gets a chance.

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

good result for hearts,patersons goal was a peach,got to ask a question what is the average age of the motherwell team?

Old, would have been a good team 10 years ago.

good result for hearts,patersons goal was a peach,got to ask a question what is the average age of the motherwell team?

The team that started last night?

Samson - 32

Tait - 26

Heneghan - 23

McManus - 34

Hammell- 34

Cadden - 20

Lasley - 37

Clay - 24

McDonald - 33

Bowman- 24

Moult - 24

= 28.2

The team that finished the game?

Samson - 32

Tait - 26

Heneghan - 23

McManus - 34

Hammell- 34

Ainsworth - 29

Lucas - 24

Clay - 24

McFadden - 33

McDonald - 33

Moult - 24

= 28.7, so 29 if you're rounding up.

Deadline day just passed. Looked good against Accies, but I haven't seen much since. However, in his defence the whole team haven't been great the last two games.

I'll reserve judgement until at least January. I've got a feeling he's been brought in to replace Moult rather than play alongside him. Reminds me of the Sutton/Porter days when we had 6 months of them playing alongside each other before the latter was sold on.

1 minute ago, Girth said:

When did Motherwell sign Bowman? Any good?

Signed him on deadline day. Overall looked quite awkward and definitely still finding his feet at this level but has done bits and pieces quite well, won headers and put himself about but seems to be trying a bit too hard in front of goal, snatching at shots.

He had a decent game against Accies. Was his flick on for Moult's first, held the ball up well for the 2nd, was his shot saved that Moult volleyed in for the 3rd and he won the penalty for the 4th. Other games he's been largely ineffectual beyond winning a few headers but again we barely turned up against Thistle and really only got into the game now and again last night.

Were it not for the goals this match would have gone down as a stinker. Two beautiful goals from Paterson & Djoum made up for a night of tedium, although Johnsen's run later on deserved a goal had he not fluffed it. Tony Watt is proving to be outstanding as much as a creator of goals for others - he never let up all night, unlike Sammon who spent an hour wandering about the pitch before finally being taken off.

Had Ainsworth been on a lot earlier it could have been different, but the Motherwell defence were disorganised to a frightening degree, & a side throwing away less chances than Hearts did (esp. all the wild shots more befitting rugby drop goals) would have scored a lot more goals than this.

1 hour ago, Currahee! said:

I liked Watts reaction to Paterson's screamer.

All in all a good 3 points in a place we're usually shit.

Aye, noticed that too. :lol:

Archived