Aussie Rules

ICTChris

The 2016 AFL grand final takes place this coming weekend, with Sydney Swans facing off against the Western Bulldogs.  The Swans beat Geelong in their preliminary final with the Bulldogs overcoming GWS Giants in a dramatic game on Saturday to reach their first grand final since 1961.

I liked AFL when I was a kid, Channel 4 used to have an hour long show on a Saturday morning, and I try and catch it when I can on BT Sport.  My cousins are big Hawthorn fans but I like Western Bulldogs.  It's an excellent sport, great atmosphere and always interesting.

Anyone else watching?

• 11 months later...

2017 Finals season is starting this coming weekend. I'm a Port Adelaide Power member, looking forward to it as long as our local rivals don't win it!

Over here about 10% of the population in Adelaide are members of one of the two teams. It's huge. The atmosphere at the oval on game day is great.

After the finals there's going to be an "international rules" game - a cross over between AFL and gaelic football. Should be interesting too!

On 10/1/2016 at 17:05, ICTChris said:

Western Bulldogs lead by 21 with two minutes to go.

First Premiership win in more than 60 years for the Dogs.

99,981 in attendance at the MCG.

One of the greatest days of my life!

• 3 weeks later...

Grand Final tomorrow.  Planning on going to Australia next year so been getting into the sports. NRL has been pretty easy as a Super Rugby fan and State of Origin is amazing but not really given AFL much of a chance yet. Tomorrow is as good a place to start as any I suppose.

6 hours ago, afca32 said:

Grand Final tomorrow.  Planning on going to Australia next year so been getting into the sports. NRL has been pretty easy as a Super Rugby fan and State of Origin is amazing but not really given AFL much of a chance yet. Tomorrow is as good a place to start as any I suppose.

Moving or holiday?

I went to a Port Adelaide game in the spring while over on holiday, and the game and atmosphere was amazing! I love the game now and have been watching it most Friday and Saturday mornings on BT Sport!

Got a soft spot for all the Adelaide teams now, so was gutted this morning... [emoji20]

I went to a Port Adelaide game in the spring while over on holiday, and the game and atmosphere was amazing! I love the game now and have been watching it most Friday and Saturday mornings on BT Sport!

Got a soft spot for all the Adelaide teams now, so was gutted this morning... [emoji20]

I was absolutely delighted the crows got hammered in the final. Hoping port Adelaide can up the game next year.

An excerpt from the crows Wikipedia page:

The Crows were formed in 1990 after a supreme court injunction to halt The Port Adelaide Football Club from entering the AFL. They are a composite team originally owned by the SANFL (later gaining independece) and played their first season in 1991.

Good on Richmond. It's been a long wait for them. First ever AFL premiership for them too! Their coach was a member of the playing squad when port won it in 2004 too.

I was absolutely delighted the crows got hammered in the final. Hoping port Adelaide can up the game next year.

An excerpt from the crows Wikipedia page:

The Crows were formed in 1990 after a supreme court injunction to halt The Port Adelaide Football Club from entering the AFL. They are a composite team originally owned by the SANFL (later gaining independece) and played their first season in 1991.

Good on Richmond. It's been a long wait for them. First ever AFL premiership for them too! Their coach was a member of the playing squad when port won it in 2004 too.

Can't begrudge a team getting a first title in so long, they thumped them on the day!

I'd read that about the crows... franchises suck, but my soft spot for Adelaide has seen me take an "all teams" approach...

I'm confused by what I've become!?!

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Barring a miracle it will be West Coast Eagles v Collingwood in next week’s Grand Final. At HT in Perth the Eagles are leading Melbourne 10.9 (69)-0.6(6). First time since 1927 a team hasn’t kicked a first half goal in a Finals game.