Sons of the Rock vs. Doonhamers (9th vs. 1st)

9th v 10th more like!  That's the kind of game that gives rubbish a bad name. Too many of our guys had the touch of an elephant today. I think we had the better actual chances but  Dumbarton made some good moves without really threatening to score and, if one of our headers had actually gone in, it would have been unfair on them. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

From our point of view Dobbie was off it today. We didn't man mark him (which I'd hoped we'd do) and he had very little impact, at times seemed to be trying the hard option. Nobody has come here and found it easy though so it's not the end of the world for you boys.

We said at half time and again midway through the second half that if Dobbie wasn't Dobbie he'd have been subbed off. There's a sense of excitement every time he gets the ball because we all know he has magic in him but there's been very lttle sign of it over the last three games. Rangers were just too quick and strong for us, he was isolated and we didn't get enough support around him or possession to let him do his thing. Hibs stifled him out and again we didn't really get enough possession at the top end of the park. Today though he got enough possession, he was just "off it". Everything he did was really the wrong option and without Lyle he didn't really appear to be on the same wavelength as his partners. It worked a little better with Dykes than with Rigg which is probably why Dykes moved up top but there wasn't the telepathic understanding he seems to have with Lyle already.

We were not remotely good today so in the circumstances you take the positives. We kept another clean sheet, have only lost 4 league goals, have not at any point this season been behind in a league game, are still unbeaten in the league after 8 games and can't be any worse than a point behind Hibs if they win tomorrow. We also lost no ground so far on anyone other than Morton with the other two games so far also being drawn. However, we did look pretty toothless and Atkinson, Tapping, HIlson and Lyle all missed the game injured. Hopefully nothing too serious in there but we'll need to see. Without them our options are much reduced.

Derek Lyle's absence today shows how much of a big player he is for us, he gives up a lot more in height compared to Rigg but he can actually anticipate the flight of the ball and play with his head up whilst Rigg seemed to have tunnel vision, quite a few times Dobbie wanted the ball into feet but Rigg didn't play it to him. It's a mental sharpness not too  many players at this level possess, which along with an immaculate fitness. Is partly  why he has lasted as long as he has. Though Rigg had the 2 best chances, first header he didn't get it in the corner enough or perhaps should have went back across goal but it was decent save. The second one was a sitter on the face of it, Brotherston couldn't have put in a better ball and you have to at least hit the target from that close.

Hilson was also a big miss, the game needed someone with a bit more energy and directness. Though if he is on crutches, it could be a while before we see him again. The squad is awfully thin with 3 possible starters missing, Marshall half fit and Atkinson also out.

We resorted to long balls when we just needed to calm down and keep the ball especially as we were winning nothing in the air, Robinson's distribution was very poor again. Kicking it straight out of play and not throwing quickly at all. Which seems bizarre seeing as that is his main strength, Higgins at left back hurt us going forward as you would expect from a centre half. 

Dobbie just couldn't get going, struggling to get any contact though anything good usually came from him, not sure if is just teams figuring him now or just a lack of service . Millar was our best attacking player as he had time to drive on and link up well. But as bad as Dumbarton are away from home and most cup competitions, they are a fairly tough team to beat at home so it's not a disaster not winning but worrying signs if we have a few guys out for a prolonged period..

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Looks like the team struggled today missed Lyle and are we maybe still lacking that creative winger in our squad, Carmichael like? Unfortunately Hilson & Tapping look like the are going to be injury concerns all season. A wee break in league next week maybe what we need, but will need to up our game to beat Linfield.

Queens really need someone like Carmichael to make things happen.

If DOBBIE is off form then we just don't look like scoring.

Take it Carmichael is injured someone said he needed a op to get himself fit.

Queens really need someone like Carmichael to make things happen.

If DOBBIE is off form then we just don't look like scoring.

Take it Carmichael is injured someone said he needed a op to get himself fit.

Carmichael asked to be released from Hibs and privately had another op and is recovering at the moment.

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I worry what a front 3 of Russell, Dobbie and Lyle will do to us today.

In the end we only had Dobbie to contend with. And he thankfully left his shooting boots at home today.

9th v 10th more like!  That's the kind of game that gives rubbish a bad name. Too many of our guys had the touch of an elephant today. I think we had the better actual chances but  Dumbarton made some good moves without really threatening to score and, if one of our headers had actually gone in, it would have been unfair on them. 

Certainly did not appeat like 1st vs. 9th today...

What is wrong with Hilson? He was hobbling on crutches today apparently?

I wonder if Hilson's got the same foot injury as last season? Reportedly seen on crutches in the stand. Definitely missed Hilson's energy that he's displayed during his current run at wide midfield.

I was speaking to Tapping before the match and he's not sure how long he's out for either. Club reported on Friday that he's had a knee scan and they are awaiting the results. Hopefully nothing too bad.

I was happy with a point, but it was a missed opportunity against a team who left their scoring touch at home.

Frustrated as f**k at Thomson early doors as he did a Russell/Nish every time a player went near him, although tbf he wised up as the game went on.

Sparky deserved his MoTM and played pretty well, as did Pettigrew. Stevo was great with some of his touches but I felt he could have rattled some more shots in when he was at the edge of the box, rather than passing which tbf he was pretty accurate with most of the time.

Having only seen us against the Arabs and Queens, I can't comment much about our overall performance so far, other than to say that I'm happy enough that I've seen us take good points off two teams that will inevitably be in the top 4 at the end of season.

A pity that Tom Walsh spoiled the day at New St. Mirren Park though.............:thumbsdown

I remember someone saying after a few appearances that it wasn't that Dobbie was playing especially well; it was just that he was so much better than everyone.

While there's undoubtedly some truth in there, I think Dobbie probably was in great form at the start and the fact that he made it look so easy maybe misled us into thinking it was easy.

Other results went pretty much our way today though and a silver lining can be found in any outcome tomorrow.  We can stay top, or consolidate a firm top four slot.  A draw sees us kinda manage both.

Before the game I expected nothing and seems strange that I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't push for the victory.

queens there for the taking.overall draw a fair result as queens did create some chances in the second half.

we did ok I suppose . Thommo needs to offer more as he seemed to get pushed over and fall down a bit easily today.thought smith offered more today and played pretty good and sparky deserved his mom .

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Other results went pretty much our way today though and a silver lining can be found in any outcome tomorrow.  We can stay top, or consolidate a firm top four slot.  A draw sees us kinda manage both.

Yep. Just finished saying the same. Somebody said United may do us a favour tomorrow and I said I wasnt sure I wanted them to. I dont seriously at this point expect to finish above Hibs over 36 games. Being top is nice but I wont worry about that unless we are still there in 20 games. At the moment I would be happier to see United drop something as I was Falkirk and Raith earlier. A draw serves both results though. That would be best.

15 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Before the game I expected nothing and seems strange that I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't push for the victory.

queens there for the taking.overall draw a fair result as queens did create some chances in the second half.

we did ok I suppose . Thommo needs to offer more as he seemed to get pushed over and fall down a bit easily today.thought smith offered more today and played pretty good and sparky deserved his mom .

Did you just plagiarise my post?:P

I thought our defence and midfield were decent today, Todd looks like he could do the attacking midfield role better than Stevo imo.  He ran all day and got beyond stevo and robbie a few times.

stevenson is hugely frustrating; he looks like he expects things to fall for him and to have space all the time, at one time today stalling a good counter attack instead of pushing onto to offer another forward option.  His quality at set pieces shouldnt be enough to get him a starting place.

robert thomson found it very tough today and for that i think we give credit to the cb's, i thought they played well today for qots.

2 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

robert thomson found it very tough today and for that i think we give credit to the cb's, i thought they played well today for qots.

The centre halves along with everyone's favourite pantomime villain Jamie Hamill were probably our best players again today, as they were last week and even at Ibrox despite the score. Mark Millar was our only attack minded player to show anything like his quality.

The centre halves along with everyone's favourite pantomime villain Jamie Hamill were probably our best players again today, as they were last week and even at Ibrox despite the score. Mark Millar was our only attack minded player to show anything like his quality.

I was really impressed with Hamill today, he really stood out and put in a right solid shift. Your best performer IMO.

He is a very oddly shaped man.

Archived