Rangers vs Glasgow's Finest 1 October Ibrox Park

This is where a real defensive leader is so *glaringly* lacking for us; the average age, ability notwithstanding, of our back 5 doesn't inspire confidence in keeping a clean sheet against relegation fodder let alone away at Ibrox with a larger-than-normal crowd.

Suspect a score draw is the best we'll manage out of this...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archibald seems to have a fondness for people who are very tall and/or very fast/direct or both. A game against a pack of under-achieving sand-dancers who can't defend is exactly the type of game in which players like Amoo, Azeez, Elliott, Edwards, etc should flourish, however our defence simply isn't good enough to support a prolonged counter-attacking approach over 90 minutes without conceding.

So a 3-1 win for Glasgow's oldest professional football club, scudding Warburton out his job in the process.

21 minutes ago, Fistle said:

Our turn against the zombies at last. It seems the whole of Scottish football have been getting their laughs at the tribute act apart from us. Bigot reincarnation 0 Thistle 2.

Zombies are fictional.......

We actually are capable of winning this, but I should have given up hope with these sorts of fixtures years ago.

Archibald seems to have little interest in dispelling the wee team mentality, and if Sean Welsh plays we might as well stay in the pub. Teams like ICT, Ross County, Hamilton even have far eclipsed us in this regard in recent years. Ties in nicely with our record in major cups, which is comfortably the worst in the top 20 teams in Scotland in the last 30 years. Sigh.

I'm pretty sure it's not. I don't think Hamilton have made a major semi in about 60 years or something.

I'm in 2 minds about this one, on the one hand I think we should sit in and try to hit on the break as Azeez looks like he could cause the Rangers defence problems and by the law of averages he has to score sooner or later, and Rangers don't look brilliant at breaking compact teams down. However, I'm not sure we have the defence to be able to do that and if Erskine is out we could struggle as he looks our best shot of creating anything by a mile.

I missed the game yesterday, planning on watching the replay on Jagzone, but how did Barton play? Supposedly Edwards was excellent yesterday, so gives a bit of a dilemma with Osman coming back in midfield.

Scully will continue in goals, presumably Booth will be back with the defence unchanged other that that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Elliott on the wing to give more cover to either full back support as Tavernier and Wallace look like Rangers biggest threats.

As above, I think Azeez will play, if we're camped in he could be a good out ball and his pace and directness should give Hill and Wilson a lot of problems.

41 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I missed the game yesterday, planning on watching the replay on Jagzone, but how did Barton play? Supposedly Edwards was excellent yesterday, so gives a bit of a dilemma with Osman coming back in midfield.

Scully will continue in goals, presumably Booth will be back with the defence unchanged other that that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Elliott on the wing to give more cover to either full back support as Tavernier and Wallace look like Rangers biggest threats.

Barton was in and out of the game. Didn't really put himself about, but looked pretty composed on the ball and more of a deep-lying playmaker. I think he'd work really well next to Osman.

I think that's not a bad shout with regards to Elliott. If Booth is indeed back in at LB, it may well be at the expense of Amoo, with Elliott moving up the pitch.

I'd personally like to have a go at a somewhat shaky Rangers defence. I would have Azeez start to pull their defence around and Amoo to give them something to think about.

Anyone but Welsh and we have a chance, I'd start Barton and Osman so Osman can give it to Barton to ping it into space for Azeez and Amoo to run into.

Home win..

11 hours ago, DepecheBhoy said:

I'm interested to see how big a crowd you take to Ibrox.  Must fancy your chances of  getting something out of the game there for the first time in a while.

Roughly 80 tickets left on Saturday apparently. 

I can understand some pessimism given our appalling record against the top sides in recent years. The only thing is our opposition on Saturday do not fall into that category. In my opinion this is an eminently winnable fixture and we can win it if we go about it in a professional manner. Of course Thistle been Thistle there is just as much chance of giving away a 30 second goal and then getting humped! Having been on the receiving end of one or two defeats at Castle Greyskull and also been there when we've wonI can honestly recommend the latter![emoji1]

1 hour ago, babu said:

Why don’t Patrick have more fans there .

Many of our fans boycott the Celtic and Rangers fixtures. I'd never not go to a game because the opposition fans sing religious/sectarian songs, but if people want to use that excuse then fair enough I suppose.

We've regularly taken more to Killie, Accies, Well and the Edinburgh sides than Celtic Park since our promotion, so there's obviously quite a lot of Jags fans that feel the same way about it.

Why don’t Patrick have more fans there . 

I mean it's an hours walk ?

PS   While you’re there, can you please return your mascot to where it rightfully belongs.[emoji6]

Nightmare has covered it but to be fair we've almost sold out our allocation for Sunday and have sold out our one at Parkhead a few times since we've come up.

29 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Many of our fans boycott the Celtic and Rangers fixtures. I'd never not go to a game because the opposition fans sing religious/sectarian songs, but if people want to use that excuse then fair enough I suppose.

We've regularly taken more to Killie, Accies, Well and the Edinburgh sides than Celtic Park since our promotion, so there's obviously quite a lot of Jags fans that feel the same way about it.

Well that’s a good enough reason ;who would want to immerse themselves in an atmosphere not conducive to something better than low minded sentiments.

Not good for the soul!

Thought forms build up around places. in everyday language we call it atmosphere.

Places where a lot of bad feeling heave accrued over time ,then find expression when there are crowds gather , even amongst people who wouldn’t ordinarily say boo to a goose.  

No, It would be better if the place were burnt to the ground ( legally off course & as a celebratory achievement in the history of Glasgow, overcoming an unwelcome past).
Build a new stadium for the new rangers somewhere else for all the many decent fans of the club.

personally I have not been to ibrox or firhill since the late 70's or early 80's . Was always a pleasant experience at firhill where it was all standing  - and there were decent size crowds too. I went to support the Dons then.

Archived