Bad drivers & cyclists

On 24 September 2016 at 15:47, RandomGuy. said:

A tractor has much less chance of preventing queues than cyclists who cycle beside each other. Its not that hard to understand. 

What if the cyclists are travelling as fast, or faster than a tractor?

Your point is stupid 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

What if the cyclists are travelling as fast, or faster than a tractor?

Your point is stupid 

My point isnt about how fast they're going, as both go slower than cars, but the area they take up. Cyclists can take up less room if they want, but some decide to take up more of the road than they need by going side by side.

My point isnt about how fast they're going, as both go slower than cars, but the area they take up. Cyclists can take up less room if they want, but some decide to take up more of the road than they need by going side by side.

Your point is moot though, because a single cyclist has every right (I think) to ride in the middle of the lane (the primary position).

Try and be a more considerate driver. Or leave your house 2 minutes earlier to start your journey.

6 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Your point is moot though, because a single cyclist has every right (I think) to ride in the middle of the lane (the primary position).

Try and be a more considerate driver. Or leave your house 2 minutes earlier to start your journey.

I wasn't on about a single cyclist though

10 cyclists in single file = 10 bike lengths to pass, cycling 2 abreast = 5 bike lengths to pass 

There shouldn't be 10 cyclists together. Not like they've all ended up behind each other on the way to work by chance.

Understand 'give as much room to cyclists as cars' that's entirely sensible and speeding inches past a cyclist is ridiculous dangerous.

However surely 2 a breast doesn't fix that? If you give a a single cyclist the same room all a 2nd cyclist does is force you further over. preventing easy overtakes(especially on wide roads).

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

There shouldn't be 10 cyclists together. Not like they've all ended up behind each other on the way to work by chance.

Understand 'give as much room to cyclists as cars' that's entirely sensible and speeding inches past a cyclist is ridiculous dangerous.

However surely 2 a breast doesn't fix that? If you give a a single cyclist the same room all a 2nd cyclist does is force you further over. preventing easy overtakes(especially on wide roads).

Why shouldn't there be 10 or 4 or 6 cyclists together ?

Some people have friends they cycle with or honour with a cycling club 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's nothing to stop them cycling side by side !!

Yes, they take up more room width wise, but not length wise which MAKES IT EASIER TO PASS THEM MORE QUICKLY

8 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Why shouldn't there be 10 or 4 or 6 cyclists together ?

Some people have friends they cycle with or honour with a cycling club 

its the cycle club types that are the biggest(and just about my only) issue. never have a problem with people using the roads to go from a to b,  walking,cycling tractors, cars whatever, everyone has there reasons for needing to use the road. cycle club types use it for a hobby, miles of cycle tracks they have easy access to but they deliberately put themselves in other peoples the way.  

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

its the cycle club types that are the biggest(and just about my only) issue. never have a problem with people using the roads to go from a to b,  walking,cycling tractors, cars whatever, everyone has there reasons for needing to use the road. cycle club types use it for a hobby, miles of cycle tracks they have easy access to but they deliberately put themselves in other peoples the way.  

You could say the same about folk with motorhomes and caravans touring the Highlands. Driving for a hobby. Or the boy racers screaming around at night - compensating for small dicks.

I doubt you've ever used cycle tracks or lanes. They're erratic, stopping and starting at random. They're not swept so are covered in broken glass and dogshit. In winter they're not gritted so they become icy hazards. 

I'm a driver and sometime cyclist. Most cyclists behaving like arseholes are only going to kill or injure themselves. Drivers behaving like arseholes kill or injure thousands every year. 

It's hilarious how much Road cyclists cause motorists to become utterly seething messes. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been delayed for more than 30 seconds by a cyclist.

Tractors and old duffers bimbling along in fucking Nissan Notes are far, far worse.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

You could say the same about folk with motorhomes and caravans touring the Highlands. Driving for a hobby. Or the boy racers screaming around at night - compensating for small dicks.

i would say the same thing yes.  majority of cycle lanes are stupid, tracks aren't ideal but avoiding dog shit isn't a particularly hard task. whilst the maintenance is poor that's no different to other public facilities for sport.

22 hours ago, mjw said:

I've got a bell to let people know I'm approaching. 

Perhaps drivers should just use their horn to let cyclists know they are approaching...

There seem to be rather a lot of cyclists that have the same attitude to pedestrians that a lot of drivers have to cyclists - namely they are an inconvenience and just get in the way. Being slowed down by a pedestrian for a few seconds isn't going to hurt, give them enough space etc. I'm not saying this applies to you, but ringing a bell isn't exactly an indication for everyone to get out of the way because a bike needs past.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'm not saying this applies to you, but ringing a bell isn't exactly an indication for everyone to get out of the way because a bike needs passed. 

Perhaps these people should refrain from using shared-use paths, then.

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

Perhaps these people should refrain from using shared-use paths, then.

Perhaps cyclists should refrain from using shared-use roads if they become irked by impatient, inconsiderate drivers. 

Unless there's a marked segregation showing a cycle lane (which there often isn't), there really isn't any reason cyclists should just expect pedestrians should just get out their way by ringing their bell at them. Cyclists are the fastest movers on these paths and should consider the other users, who have as much right to be there as they do.  

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Perhaps cyclists should refrain from using shared-use roads if they become irked by impatient, inconsiderate drivers. 

Unless there's a marked segregation showing a cycle lane (which there often isn't), there really isn't any reason cyclists should just expect pedestrians should just get out their way by ringing their bell at them. Cyclists are the fastest movers on these paths and should consider the other users, who have as much right to be there as they do.  

It's all about courtesy. Does it really inconvenience pedestrians that much to step to the side or walk single-file to allow a cyclist to pass, and let everyone get on with where they're going? 

That's the point of the bell. To alert pedestrians to their presence and give them an opportunity to do the courteous thing.

Trying to compare shared-use paths with roads is pointless, and is the refuge of someone who clearly thinks cyclists should just piss off and not be seen.

On 24/09/2016 at 13:58, RandomGuy. said:

Because you're creating a queue and holding up other road users. Theres multiple signs driver get flashing at them on roads (especially the a9) urging you to be a courteous driver and to pull over and let traffic by if you're going slower than them. Surely that rule should apply to cyclists too?

I cycle and drive, any hold up caused by a bike can usually be made up fairly quickly.

On 24/09/2016 at 22:40, true_rover said:

Cyclists should maybe bear that in mind when going past runners on the off road paths...

Tbh doon here it's mostly runners running on the cycle network, who don't hear your bell due to having ear phones in.

Perhaps drivers should just use their horn to let cyclists know they are approaching...

There seem to be rather a lot of cyclists that have the same attitude to pedestrians that a lot of drivers have to cyclists - namely they are an inconvenience and just get in the way. Being slowed down by a pedestrian for a few seconds isn't going to hurt, give them enough space etc. I'm not saying this applies to you, but ringing a bell isn't exactly an indication for everyone to get out of the way because a bike needs past.

I'm not ringing it to get them out the way,its a courtesy to let them know I'm there. When you've got a dog walker at one side of a path and his dog at the other on its extendable lead,its hard to get past.

Archived