Bad drivers & cyclists

As a law abiding cyclists , it's becoming increasingly apparent that there are a growing number of drivers and cyclists out there who haven't a clue as to what is and isn't legal with regards to cycling on the roads  of the U.K. 

Personally I'd like to see a more concerted effort by the government into educating drivers and cyclists regarding these rules and much tougher penalties for those who fail to adhere to them.

Discuss 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

It should be illegal to mow down cyclists who cycle 2 abreast. Or boot them off the bike if they're cycling on a pavement over the age of 15.

It is illegal to do that. It's called murder and it's quite the crime

1 minute ago, Unleash The Nade said:

As a law abiding cyclists , it's becoming increasingly apparent that there are a growing number of drivers and cyclists out there who haven't a clue as to what is and isn't legal with regards to cycling on the roads  of the U.K. 

Personally I'd like to see a more concerted effort by the government into educating drivers and cyclists regarding these rules and much tougher penalties for those who fail to adhere to them.

Discuss 

It's safer for cyclists to break the law & cycle on the path than for a driver to break the law & kill a cyclist.

Grimbo

12 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Discuss 

Schizophrenic found.

I've been cycling for a few years and genuinely don't know too much about the laws that govern what cyclists can and can't do.

One thing I never do is undertake cars/vehicles at traffic lights, I just take my place in the queue and roll off, keeping left allowing cars behind to drive past. Drivers get agitated if they're undertaken at lights and held up thereafter.

TBH I'm not a great fan of driving on busy roads. It just takes one bellend on his phone or some arsehole to overtake when there's not enough space and you could get wiped out. Give me a quiet country road any day.

I used to do a couple of hundred miles a week on my bike and got the sense that a high percentage of drivers just don't know how to deal with cyclists. They think they have to overtake but don't really know how to do it and don't seem to appreciate you're travelling almost as fast as them anyway. Eye contact is critical, making sure drivers have seen you at junctions etc.

I don't like these moral crusader cyclists who go apeshit at drivers who have genuinely not seen them. You see headcam vids of crashes where the cyclist should have realised the motorist hasn't seen them but because it's the cyclist's right of way they steam into a minor crash and then get all indignant. In modern cars with thick pillars it's easy to miss a cyclist, especially a skinny one. 

38 minutes ago, mizfit said:

It should be legal to mow down cyclists who cycle 2 abreast. Or boot them off the bike if they're cycling on a pavement over the age of 15.

How can you tell the age of a pavement?

44 minutes ago, Daydream said:

I've been cycling for a few years and genuinely don't know too much about the laws that govern what cyclists can and can't do.

This isn't a personal dig at yourself but it is something that really irritates me, any idiot with no understanding of the highway code can jump on a bike and cycle on the roads. I drive with work five days a week and the amount of cyclists I see going through red lights, jumping between roads and pavements, failing to indicate where they are going or my absolute pet hate not wearing a helmet. A simple small outlay of money to potentially save their lives and they couldn't care less.

9 minutes ago, When Reallity Kicks In said:

FTFY. you're welcome.

I wouldn't disagree with your point of view I've witnessed plenty of stupidity from drivers also, if we get into cyclist v driver we'd just go in circles. I do believe there should be some sort of test for cyclists to pass for road use though. Drivers have had to pass a test to show the understanding of the highway code, trouble is you wouldn't believe this with some drivers.

Kids used to do the Cycling Proficiency course at school. I am the proud owner of a Lothian and Borders Polis certificate for passing the course as a lad (yes, it was on a penny farthing in front of Inspector Lestrade, ha bloody ha) but lack of funds/polis has probably rendered this sort of thing to the history books. 

Archived