Designated Survivor

JamieStevenson

Any fans of Kiefer Sutherland out there? If you're into the high intensity and heavy breathing as usual then this one might just be for you!

I've just finished the first episode, it's good. I think this is a concept that has hardly ever been touched upon before, God forbid it actually happen as I imagine it would be absolute chaos, which is kind of what I'm expecting in upcoming episodes as it feels like we've not even scratched the surface yet. Basically we have a massive terror attack and Tom (Kiefer Sutherland) becomes President of the United States. Everyone, including himself, doubts that he is the man for the job, can he get the country through these difficult times? Plenty to explore still and there are other familiar faces in this too... Maggie Q, Kal Penn & Natascha McElhone to name a few.

Here's the trailer in case you might fancy it, pretty sure this show has not been picked up by UK at all so you can fire in with any thoughts on the episodes as I can't see it being commissioned here.

Enjoyed the first episode.

I remember the designated survivor being touched upon in a State of the Union episode of West Wing back in the day, but struggling to imagine how a terrorist attack could happen in what must surely be the tightest security arrangements on the planet, given who attends it.

Looks promising and will certainly stick with it to see how it pans out.

New episode weekly on Netflix.

I read a very sniffy review about this show on the Guardian (the entire piece was a complaint that this wasn't the West Wing). So I watched with a bit of trepidation but was pleasantly surprised; I think that there might be show here. 4 clear plot strands emerging already:

Spoiler

1. Sutherland adapting to life as president

2. The general planning his coup

3. The investigation into the bombing

4. Sutherland's drug dealing son

I enjoyed it, and look forward to Friday.

On 30/09/2016 at 18:33, Ludo*1 said:
  Hide contents

End of the 2nd episode hints at the fact the president may still be alive.

If this was real life - how would this play out? Kirkman has already been sworn in?

probably a clause that the president can assume control again given kirkman was swon in on the basis that he was the last surviving member of the party etc, f**k knows but it will be good to see, show has started really well, sutherland really has the part nailed i think, especially when he looks like a frightened old man[/spoiler[

7 minutes ago, paulathame said:

I like it, let out a yell  when the second one started and we had jack saying previously  on designated survivor.

ha, never clocked that part,

as much as he's great at portraying the frightened nervous guy, there was a hint of jack bauer when he dealt with the iranian ambassador over the ships

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why have they suddenly made this bi-weekly?! Shite laugh.

Is it going to stay like that, or is it just this episode?

I battered through them in a day, then realised it was another two weeks for the next one. Really enjoying it. Its also inspired me to get round to watching House of Cards

I battered through them in a day, then realised it was another two weeks for the next one. Really enjoying it. Its also inspired me to get round to watching House of Cards

I've not a clue although looking at the Netflix scheduling it looks like it will be. The episode after next week's is scheduled for release on the 10th November. Although it still has the tagline 'new episode every Thursday'.

The best I could find online was that it was struggling for viewers in America and won't be renewed for a second season (Just some random wannabe journalist) and that doesn't really make sense considering it'd have been filmed in advance and the whole lot would be on Netflix regardless of viewership.

I've not a clue although looking at the Netflix scheduling it looks like it will be. The episode after next week's is scheduled for release on the 10th November. Although it still has the tagline 'new episode every Thursday'.

The best I could find online was that it was struggling for viewers in America and won't be renewed for a second season (Just some random wannabe journalist) and that doesn't really make sense considering it'd have been filmed in advance and the whole lot would be on Netflix regardless of viewership.

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

dunno who posted about it not been renewed, but from here http://release-date.info/tv-series/designated-survivor-season-2-on-abc-release-date-8904407843/

it would seem ABC are happy with what its pulling in considering its 10pm timeslot on a wed night, that plus its high scoring reviews should hopefully give it a 2nd season