Scottish football counterfactuals

8 hours ago, dogmc said:

74 comes to mind....what if billy bremner hadnt missed a sitter from 4 yards out with a couple of minutes to go against brazil....

Aye, that one came to my mind, too.

Along with beating Poland 2-1 at Hampden in 1966 instead of losing. We'd have qualified instead of Italy, waltzed through that group which consisted of USSR, Chile and North Korea, and gone on to win it. Probably.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Vlad hadn't came in and stopped us moving from Tynecastle?  Obviously it nearly ended in oblivion, but the alternative would've been potentially just as grim as administration.  No stadium and rattling around in Murrayfield, probably with sub 10,000 crowds and no plan to move back out into our own stadium.  Could've started a chain of apathy that would've been difficult to recover from.

What if Geoff Brown hadn't got involved at Saints?

My opinion is we would've ended up similar to the Angus clubs, rattling around in an out of date club, paying part time wages and awaiting the return to top flight football with ever fading hope. 

22 minutes ago, XIII said:

We would have made the play-offs with a draw against the Italians

You're going to need to show your workings on this one, for me.

Italy 12 9 2 1 22 9 +13 29
France 12 8 2 2 25 5 +20 26
Scotland 12 8 0 4 21 12 +9 24

An Italy - Scotland draw would've seen us finish on 25, and Italy on 27, unless the Italians lost to the Faroes (they didn't), and the French lost to the Ukrainians (they drew, we'd have gone through on head-to-head if they'd lost), we couldn't have qualified with a draw. 

The greatest what if in Scottish football will always be...what if all the other club chairmen hadn't shat themselves after Rangers died and rightfully refused league entry to the new club?

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

You're going to need to show your workings on this one, for me.

Italy 12 9 2 1 22 9 +13 29
France 12 8 2 2 25 5 +20 26
Scotland 12 8 0 4 21 12 +9 24

An Italy - Scotland draw would've seen us finish on 25, and Italy on 27, unless the Italians lost to the Faroes (they didn't), and the French lost to the Ukrainians (they drew, we'd have gone through on head-to-head if they'd lost), we couldn't have qualified with a draw. 

We would have finished on 28, meaning France couldn't overtake us even with a win in their last game.

ETA: The original point being 'What if we beat Georgia?'.

On 9/22/2016 at 10:00, XIII said:

What if Leven played a 442 instead of the 460, or what if the ref gave a Scotland free-kick instead of that bizarre decision to give it to Italy

6 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

We would have finished on 28, meaning France couldn't overtake us even with a win in their last game.

ETA: The original point being 'What if we beat Georgia?'.

Oh, aye. Had we beaten Georgia then we'd have been fine, I reckon, but as above, the original point was the Hutton/Chiellini free-kick, which in the end, didn't matter.

Archived