Kelty Hearts Thread?

leomessi1984

9 hours ago, macintosh said:

Ross County are probably the model that most provincial towns / clubs would want to aspire to in Scotland, they are a shining example of where forward thinking & ambition can take a club and its community.
Noticed the honorory chairman`s post match comments on KHTV on Saturday, the club are in very good hands.

With the help of multi millions poured in to it by their Chairman.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

With the help of multi millions poured in to it by their Chairman.

Strangely enough, looked into that earlier today Uncle Arthur, suspected as much but the search proved inconclusive.

As always, It will ultimately come down to who buys into what the club are trying to achieve.

2 minutes ago, macintosh said:

Strangely enough, looked into that earlier today Uncle Arthur, suspected as much but the search proved inconclusive.

As always, It will ultimately come down to who buys into what the club are trying to achieve.

It's widely known that Roy McGregor subsidises County.

34 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

???? Why is, what kelty are doing bothering everyone so much :blink:

I'm with you,if the intentions are for them to go then so be it,they'll be a loss to the juniors,especially Superleague (east),just my opinion but I'm happy enough with Juniors and the product you get for your money most times and that's the same scenario wherever and whatever league your in.

35 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

7 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Is it fair to say that even a few years back Kelty might not have been considering being part of the pyramid because as a club they were nowhere near being ready to join the pyramid system? Its only three years since they were facing a playoff to stay in the Superleague and its less than two years since the improvements to the park and its surrounds were started. Now that they have got things more organised both on and off the pitch it seems the correct time to re=evaluate what the clubs aims are and where they go from here.

Well you either believe in the Pyramid or you don't. 

The fact was that when the Pyramid system was being discussed a few years back and rubbished by the SJFA blazerati I don't recall Kelty being a pro-Pyramid voice, so personally it seems a bit rich to say that you can't hang around in the Juniors to help drive change because it will take too long.

You didn't need to be ready to lead the charge into a new system, you just needed to be forward thinking enough to support the concept. Sadly not enough ever did.

47 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's widely known that Roy McGregor subsidises County.

Massively but the model looks decent from what I have seen. If you're going to have a benefactor then one like Roy McGregor helps I think. 

I think very few people are bothered by what Kelty are doing. It's more just a case of fans from all levels naturally being drawn in and interested to see what the wee Juniors club with a lot of ambition can achieve. There's also a lot of interested onlookers hanging on waiting to see what will happen with the East Superleague in terms of the clubs relegated and that were challenging for promotion.

With regards to folk moaning about the standard of the EOS/LL and the lack of supporters following these clubs; Have many (if any) of these clubs ever carried much of a support? Perhaps it might take the likes of a fairly well supported club like Kelty (and hopefully a few others) to make the jump from the Juniors, potentially raise the standard of the EOS & Lowland league, and in turn maybe generate a bit more interest in the lower tier and the other clubs involved.

10 minutes ago, HTG said:

Massively but the model looks decent from what I have seen. If you're going to have a benefactor then one like Roy McGregor helps I think. 

True, his heart might rule his head when it comes to County, but they would be similar to Elgin or Annan without his money. I think that's as much as Kelty could aspire to. Not saying that's wrong,but in an ideal world a properly regionalised, integrated pyramid would remove the need for any palaver.

1 hour ago, wingnut said:

I'm with you,if the intentions are for them to go then so be it,they'll be a loss to the juniors,especially Superleague (east),just my opinion but I'm happy enough with Juniors and the product you get for your money most times and that's the same scenario wherever and whatever league your in.

Aye and you never know when a conservatory might need plastered :lol:;)

Great model it may be but one which the locals don't buy into.

They had less than a 1000 home supporters at home against us.

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Do you accept that you could have spoken to fellow member clubs who you know are receptive to Licencing/Pyramid and taken it from there? There was never any chance of there being a quick answer, you know that.  The only quick answer was to resign and join the EoSFL, which you have done.

We did speak to 3 other clubs asking for a meeting, 1 declined as they had their licence so it maybe didn't appeal to them.

The other 2 clubs were open, we had a chat which was positive, we then contacted the SJFA for a meet with all clubs with our plans but it was declined.

We then decided as a club we didn't want to be held back any longer from working towards SFA Membership so we signed the declaration on the SFA criteria accepting to join the pyramid system.

I applaud your passion but your going on a rant to the wrong club or people, we did more than most for change, believe me we tried. It wasn't met with the same commitment we had on making things better so we did what was best for our club.

Any big junior could be looking at the possibility of championship football as being a realistic target.

Glass half empty folk might compare to Annan or Elgin but could equally be compared to Brechin, Cowdenbeath, Stirling,Alloa or Dumbarton who have spent reasonably recent seasons at the Championship level playing against some fallen giants along the way.

I would hate the thought of paying £16 to watch Airdrie but I fully believe an integrated pyramid makes sense. Good luck to Kelty for giving this a shot!

9 hours ago, virginton said:

The Scottish Cup is organised by the SFA and it is the SFA that is pushing for a pyramid structure all the way through Scottish football. So if the Junior clubs don't want to take part in the pyramid setup - as is their right - then they shouldn't be allowed to participate in an SFA tournament. Which is the SFA's right as well.  

It's the SFA's right, but I really don't see the connection with the pyramid. There's lots of things the SFA wants clubs to do, they aren't all preconditions to Scottish Cup entry. The cup would benefit from hugely widening the early rounds anyway.

For you to be complaining about how terrible the national setup would be when you've done nothing to suggest that you'd get near it in the first place is presumptuous to say the least. It'd be like a Morton fan complaining about the cost of our ticket package for the Champions League group stages.

:huh: Eh, I think you know you're being silly now.

A better comparison would be Morton fans saying they don't fancy the conditions of the top half of the Premier league split. That's as high as you could realistically ever hope to go. It's not remotely presumptuous for a top Junior club to think they could make League 2 - anyone who knows anything about the Juniors knows that's true.

And not for nothing, but the Champions League ticket prices were the last straw in me being a Celtic fan, about 10 years ago. The appeal had been waning for years for lots of reasons, but when they were charging kids £26 for a European game it was the end for me. I've not been back and I don't miss it.

I know what supporting league teams is like, I've done it for more than two decades with Celtic and Queen's Park, and I hugely prefer non-league. That's no criticism of anyone else or their choices, it's my preference.

If these clubs weren't fit to be in the Lowland League then an influx of Juniors into the pyramid system would surely push them out of it and into the lower ranks of the pyramid rather quickly. Behemoths of the game like Linlithgow (see below) wouldn't need to worry too much about that then.

True - which is why I said if the other big clubs move then Rose will have to, and that a split east-west LL would be fine then. But I worry about what we could lose along the way.

I think I'd rather let sporting merit determine who represents what rather than your Hovis theme tuned, back of a fag packet criteria. 

:lol:

I never said anything other than sporting merit determining stuff so you're back to the Aunt Sallies. 

And yet IIRC you finished in the bottom half of your own league this season; I doubt the new EK management team are shitting themselves about a contest in the near future then. 

This has been our worst season in several decades, and the first time we've finished outside of the top 3 in the East Superleague in at least 9 years. EK might have been favourites to take us this year, but certainly never before and probably not in the foreseeable future either.

In the last few years against LL teams I've seen Rose stuff Dalbeattie (5th in LL) 5-1, Spartans 4-1, Gala 2-0 away at a canter and Selkirk 3-0 away this season when we were utterly rank. The complete list of teams that have knocked Rose out of the Scottish Cup reads Stirling Albion (this season when we were gash), Ross County 4-2 away, Raith Rovers 2-0 in a match completely dominated by Rose, Deveronvale (a definite upset after dominating for 80 minutes), Beith (fellow Juniors) and Queen of the South (away, the year they made the final). That's obviously a record of a team that isn't being "presumptuous" about being good enough for league football.

And before you say anything, I've got plenty of respect for EK's record and they're following a path that suits them. But I'd rather watch a game at Neilston than at K Park.

Good luck to them. It is however a bit of a gamble which may or may not pay off...the EoS as it stands is generally pretty dreadful, but with the potential banana skin of a couple of excellent sides in LTHV and Leith.

All well and good if they get past them the first year, but of they don't it could backfire on them to a degree - they really won't want to be stuck at EoS level for several years. If they do, they could conceivably eventually swap places with the local SPFL club - who seem in terminal decline - in time, which is perhaps the long game they're playing.

Meanwhile in the "West", the potential pyramid feeder isn't happy about having to travel to Kilmarnock from the D&G epicentre of the league once a year due to a new side from there joining...LL West, anyone?

Good luck to them. It is however a bit of a gamble which may or may not pay off...the EoS as it stands is generally pretty dreadful, but with the potential banana skin of a couple of excellent sides in LTHV and Leith.
All well and good if they get past them the first year, but of they don't it could backfire on them to a degree - they really won't want to be stuck at EoS level for several years. If they do, they could conceivably eventually swap places with the local SPFL club - who seem in terminal decline - in time, which is perhaps the long game they're playing.
Meanwhile in the "West", the potential pyramid feeder isn't happy about having to travel to Kilmarnock from the D&G epicentre of the league once a year due to a new side from there joining...LL West, anyone?

Would Maryhill be up for it?

1 hour ago, calmac25 said:

Would Maryhill be up for it?

We’ve got a licensed ground so we’re halfway there, but I don’t think there’s any real appetite within the club at the moment. Maybe if they went to a three-region model, but not as things stand.

Before anyone decries us for lack of ambition, I should explain that in the last couple of decades we’ve been through the all-too-familiar non-league cycle of wealthy benefactors pumping money into the club then leaving and a subsequent freefall through the leagues which saw us propping up the entire Central District for a while. We’re just on the way back now – having spent eight years away from the Superleagues, after promotion this year we managed to stay up and are now looking to kick on from mere survival.

One recent positive development after years of being guilty of G20-centric parochialism has been the realisation that we have a huge catchment area – the whole West End – and the reaching out to the wider area, which is bearing fruit with crowds gradually getting bigger and just as importantly younger.

After the reality check we suffered a decade ago the club’s now back in a fairly healthy place which we wouldn’t want to jeopardise by tilting at windmills; the South League’s a non-starter and we’re in a fairly unique position amongst Junior clubs in having first-hand experience of the current Lowland League thanks to our experiences with BSC Alloa which frankly did little to enthuse us.

Archived