The sworded Dundee United v The swordees, The Famous Greenock Morton

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duffyball did okay for an hour but United's goal was coming and we never have a Plan B when we set up to shitfest.

We're now in a bizarre, parallel universe btw where happy clappers claim the right to shout down people's criticism while actually leaving the ground as "boo boy behaviour". Utterly tragic stuff.

Surprised any United fans are able to comment on what happened early on as they only turned up till after they went 1-0 up. Honestly there wasn't a peep from them until that moment.

Disappointed to lose as I thought we were a match for them, if only we had someone more clinical up front we may have taken something. Ah well, we have bigger games coming up in the next few weeks :D

Just out of the pub after celebrating a massive win.
Surprised at stats in bbc report - apparently you guys committed 13 fouls, I counted 12 by quitongo. Soft bookings for your other 3 then .
Good luck against the sheep, you might have a big game against Scotland's youngest pro club if you get past them [emoji482]

Surprised any United fans are able to comment on what happened early on as they only turned up till after they went 1-0 up. Honestly there wasn't a peep from them until that moment.

Disappointed to lose as I thought we were a match for them, if only we had someone more clinical up front we may have taken something. Ah well, we have bigger games coming up in the next few weeks [emoji3]

Settle.

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Duffyball did okay for an hour but United's goal was coming and we never have a Plan B when we set up to shitfest.

We're now in a bizarre, parallel universe btw where happy clappers claim the right to shout down people's criticism while actually leaving the ground as "boo boy behaviour". Utterly tragic stuff.

Hard to disagree with this.

A fairly dull game for the most part yesterday (especially in the first half). More than a few United fans were not exactly best pleased come the final whistle but 3 points at this stage of the season take priority over performance. Time wasting at 85mins plus stoppage was a bit extreme though.

Felt that the slightly different shape didn't really work as well as it could but mainly due to Murray again showing he can't play the role he is being asked and our real lack of explosive pace on the wing (VdV is wasted out there and Spittal is badly off form). Andreu and Smith are both clever players but didn't really get much to work with (I thought defensively Toshney played pretty well as a defensive mid but his passing was hit and miss).

Dutch Dillon looks more comfortable at fullback (just like actual Dillon) and he played a little better yesterday but he still doesn't fill me with confidence when dealing with direct long balls or crosses. Similarly both Durnan and Edge were entirely comfortable when they were faced with long balls and crosses but the actual defending  when someone is running at them directly, like Quitongo, they fill me with the fear. Durnan did exactly what was expected from him and he might have found a way back in to the team for the time being (Dixon also had a reasonably solid game).

Ref was dreadful for both sides.

First game I've been home for since Dunfermline in the League Cup. The first half was terrible, slow and toothless from United. Murray isn't capable of playing as a lone striker.

Van der Velden going up front for the 2nd half made an immediate impact, gave us a physical presence and focal point for the attack. The goal was definitely coming and once we got it I really expected us to go and finish Morton off as they'd offered nothing 2nd half. Instead the players seemed nervous, this transferred to the stands and I thought we made real heavy weather of the last 20. In particular, trying to shield the ball in the corner with 85 minutes on the clock was embarrassing. Lovely finishes from Andreu for the second and Dillon for the og. 

Ref was shite for both teams, continually breaking up the game to give petty fouls. Quitongo jr is a unit. Toshney and VdV had good games for us. 

I'd have taken a scrappy win at the outset, hopefully give the players a bit of confidence and if we can somehow get a result next week the league is wide open.

Echo what's been said re VDV up front. Hopefully Mckinnon is starting to see how shite Murray is. As a lone forward anyway. I'd like to see Murray and VDV up front in a 442. 

Felt sorry for Dillon but its his nature to self destruct. I'm sure he's got a valve in his head that blows randomly during games leading to an immediate brain fart.

Edge fills me with fear also. Anything from the chin up he seems fine with but anything below that and he looks shaky. Last 20 mins he fell apart and lost it. Toshney and Durnan at the back for me after today. Well played Mr Duran,  well played.

The 4141 was horrible in the 1st half. All 5 midfielders just did nothing and there was no space to play. Couple that with the ball coming straight back off Murray made it all the worse to watch. 2nd when VDV went up top and Murray was on the wing it was much better. 

Anyone else think think the Dillon subbie was mental? 2 up and cruising, bring on another defensive player to play out of position, and sit back? With our defensive record? Really Ray? Really? I thought we should have tried to pick Morton off on the break with the pace of Tope and Murray so late on. But we conceded and went to shit.

Good 3 points though and a confidence boost for next week! 

Who am I kidding, were getting spit roasted next game.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Anyone else think think the Dillon subbie was mental? 2 up and cruising, bring on another defensive player to play out of position, and sit back? With our defensive record? Really Ray? Really? I thought we should have tried to pick Morton off on the break with the pace of Tope and Murray so late on. But we conceded and went to shit.

I'd give this post 2 greenies if I could.  Every manager needs time and space, but any competent manager should have a feel for his team's strengths and weaknesses early on.  Short corners to waste time and defensive substitutions are the wrong tactic for United and McKinnon should understand this.

8 minutes ago, peeeel said:

Ffs it's not because Murray is playing up front on his own, it's because he's terrible, how people still can't see this is beyond me, especially McKinnon.

You've become a right cynic son.  I have to agree that Murray has his shortcomings but playing him in a role he is not suited to is unfair.

On a wider point, if ST is not prepared to invest in another striker I trust he won't have any complaints if we continue in this league.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You've become a right cynic son.  I have to agree that Murray has his shortcomings but playing him in a role he is not suited to is unfair.

It'd be unfair to change the shape for Murray considering we don't have the players to play two up front. McKinnon clearly built the team to play one upfront and should have brought in a striker to play the role. 

Relief at full time.

you know when you've been holding onto a pish for too long then are able to let it go? That sort of relief.  We were much better pressing them in the second half so suddenly going all defensive put us on the back foot.  We tried the whole super defensive thing last year and it don't work, we have a lot of the same defenders, so it's no surprise we were shaky up till the final whistle. Which took ages. 

VDV change of position and Obadeyi coming  on made all the difference. Maybe start that way next week? 

Murray has pace but little else. Can upset a defence with it but needs someone beside him otherwsie he can't create on his own.  Never a lone striker , and playing absolutely at the threshold of his talent.  We were looking at strikers were we not?  Could be the quality we could get for the money we were offering wasn't worth it. Either way we need someone else in fast.

Dillon gona Dillon, Durnan did OK,  the new lads are still not 100% match sharp.  Defence still a worry til they get up to speed.

finally, Quitongo is a wee shitebag. 

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I dont think thats the case GD. From what i hear, there was money there for re-inforcements so surely thats Rays fault for not bringing in the proper personnel?

If that's true then it's criminal.  As was being said on here a few days back we must be the only team in the SPFL with one recognised first team striker.

Archived