Old Firm referee bias.

Having video replay at important decisions might eliminate most bad calls from the refs, there would be next to no complaints and the ref wouldn't need to drop a clanger in their shorts facing the tough call. Just show the incident in question on the big screen as the replay judge reviews it so everybody knows if it is going to be the right decision or not.

This would also address the latest disease in the game, "diving" a bit of an epidemic at the mo.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

I take everybody missed Curran elbowing Clint Hill at the weekend. The impartial BBC left it out their highlights. :1eye

Hi No8, hiya pal. :)

Clint Hill dived into Curran's elbow to get a foul, the player carded, feigned injury and insulted the ball. He was lucky to still be on the park and why the BBC didn't show it, it was embarrassing as f**k man.

I don't think it's a deliberate bias, but I think a lot of referees can't cope with the big crowds and potential for big media coverage.

Let's say Robertson sent off the Celtic player on Saturday, but video replays proved he got it wrong and Celtic went on to lose the game 3-1. That would be back page news. If he just ignores it then it's only Inverness who are robbed of a decision, and they aren't exactly going to have the sort of media power that Celtic/Rangers have. "INVERNESS LOSE TO CELTIC" - not really news "REFEREEING MISTAKE LEADS TO INVERNESS RECORDING SHOCK WIN OVER CELTIC" - very news.

Same last night, sends off Forrester, Rangers go on to lose, massive pressure from the papers on Warburton, plenty of anger from 30,000 people or whatever at Ibrox. His face plastered everywhere.

So aye, lots of refs are lacking the balls to give a decision against the Old Firm.

There is no conspiracy against any team.

Our refs are incompetent, that's the first key point.

Secondly as has been mentioned the media coverage of bad decisions against the OF probably doesn't seem worth the risk to a ref getting it wrong.

I don't believe it would be a conscious decision that they'd bottle it sub consciously it probably plays a part.

wanyama-incident-7884989.jpg

Didn't even get booked, Frazer Wright got a 3 match ban in a match against Celtic after grainy footage which apparently showed him throwing an elbow turned up.

null_zps60df8ee1.jpg

Van Djik throws an elbow to stop May, who's clean through on goal. Not even a free kick.

onside_zpsf5b5b678.jpg

Battering Celtic at home and look like you might win? Better not score from a free kick despite being miles onside, as it'll be ruled out.

Thats ignoring the time Sandaza was wiped out at Celtic Park and the ref played on.

I'd be pretty shocked if we don't see a similar incident when we play our first league against Rangers.

9 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

Are the refs scared? are they instructed from their paymasters not to upset the big two?......or are they just pish?

Yes. They know full well any decision they make against the bigot brothers will be scrutinised to the nth degree in the press and the managers will have their say as well, they'll then be under immense pressure the next time they officiate a game involving one of the filth. For an easier life they'll just let it slide. 

Sad but true. I had an ex-ref tell me they were reluctant to give decisions against the old firm particularly when they were at home. 

Now most leagues have professional referees, it should be fairly straightforward having impartial foreign refs at all top flight games. There is no real barrier to it - Hugh Dallas et al doing the Cairo derbies, the Luxembourgish refs doing SPL games during the strike, there was an Irish ref doing the MLS game I was watching the other night - other than perhaps the cost and the big one. Big teams in every league would be less likely to get big decisions regularly. They still would (I'm sure a Bobby Madden wouldn't want to deny Barcelona a penalty at Deportivo or whatever) but it would surely be a but better than it is now. 

6 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Having video replay at important decisions might eliminate most bad calls from the refs, there would be next to no complaints and the ref wouldn't need to drop a clanger in their shorts facing the tough call. Just show the incident in question on the big screen as the replay judge reviews it so everybody knows if it is going to be the right decision or not.

This would also address the latest disease in the game, "diving" a bit of an epidemic at the mo.

That sort of thing is unlikely to be brought in as it harms the two sides who benefit the most from shocking refereeing.

INB4 one of them is Hearts lol

7 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I'm guessing nobody seen the penalty Hearts got against us on the opening day then???

Funny you mention that. Walker was subsequently suspended for 2 games after that. 

John Guidetti on the other hand escaped any sort of punishment for his effort at Tynecastle. 

Twice in 3 days clear, stick on red cards were not given by a ref in a perfect position. I don't think they're always deliberate cheats but refs fill their underpants at the thought of sending off a Celtic or Rangers player.
Possibly sometimes subconsciously but it happens far too often. They know it'll be a shitstorm for them.
It's been said for years that referees should come out and explain decisions afterwards. Wonder why they're against it???

21 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

Yes. They know full well any decision they make against the bigot brothers will be scrutinised to the nth degree in the press and the managers will have their say as well, they'll then be under immense pressure the next time they officiate a game involving one of the filth. For an easier life they'll just let it slide. 

Sad but true. I had an ex-ref tell me they were reluctant to give decisions against the old firm particularly when they were at home. 

This is how it is, it's not intentional bias, it's fear of the ridiculous level of scrutiny any decision made against one of THEM receives. Compare this to the "all balances out" shite we get and it's no mystery why thugs like Brown and this wee shite Forrester waltz through games with immunity.

It would be so helpful if refs had the opportunity to either explain decisions or even apologise for ones they got wrong (we're all human, I think most fans accept mistakes are made) but we have sellik to thank for them having zero interest in doing that, good job.

That Don Robertson must be under some scrutiny from the referee bigwigs now surely?  That's 2 ludicrous decisions in 3 days.  First Sviatchenko, then Forrester last night.

wanyama-incident-7884989.jpg

Didn't even get booked, Frazer Wright got a 3 match ban in a match against Celtic after grainy footage which apparently showed him throwing an elbow turned up.

null_zps60df8ee1.jpg

Van Djik throws an elbow to stop May, who's clean through on goal. Not even a free kick.

onside_zpsf5b5b678.jpg

Battering Celtic at home and look like you might win? Better not score from a free kick despite being miles onside, as it'll be ruled out.

Thats ignoring the time Sandaza was wiped out at Celtic Park and the ref played on.

I'd be pretty shocked if we don't see a similar incident when we play our first league against Rangers.

Establishment club.

GIRFUY. [emoji4]

Archived