Unpopular opinions - movies edition

DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Tommy Nooka said:

Of course the original is the best, it's the only one that's actually good.....in fact it's great!

My wee one has never seen it yet she knows the music and freaks out whenever she hears it, just one of many sublime compositions from John Williams.

I used to be shit feart of Jaws when I was a nipper. That scene where Hooper finds Ben gardener's boat and the head of his corpse comes out from the hole in the boat terrified me. I was also scared of the big tanker truck with the blacked out windows in the film Duel. :lol:

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I used to be shit feart of Jaws when I was a nipper. That scene where Hooper finds Ben gardener's boat and the head of his corpse comes out from the hole in the boat terrified me. I was also scared of the big tanker truck with the blacked out windows in the film Duel. :lol:

Haha, I mind being quite scared of that big rig too. You've also made me think about the Green Goblin truck from Maximum Overdrive, now that's a shit movie I used to really enjoy! :wub: 

• Dogma's a far better, and smarter, film that it gets credit for, despite featuring a rubber poop monster; probably my favourite Kevin Smith film too.
  • Lady in the Water is Shyamalan's worst film for me, because it's so dull. Haven't seen his Airbender film, right enough. The Happening is a comedy classic, and I thought The Village was quite tense until the ending.
  • I loved Jaws and Duel as a wean, but found Duel scarier. It's basically the same film, only if Jaws wasn't restricted to the water, and Brodie was alone. Also, Jaws 4 is better than all the others because it has Michael Caine, who reincarnates after being eaten by a globetrotting revenge shark, and repels water like he's coated in fucking ScotchGard. FACT.

Anyway, let's get on to the serious stuff; Blazing Saddles is probably Mel Brooks' worst film, although it does have the "where the white women at?" scene, which made me choke on my drink.

Both of these were good, but the Basketball Diaries and Catch me if You Can were much better, imho.

His performance in Gangs of New York should have ruled him out of any further lead roles, so credit him with some resilience at least.

Tl;Dr - he didn't deserve it for the Revenant, but overall he deserves recognition.

Basketball diaries forexample was his best work. I love him as an actor but for me Revenent was boring but agreed over his career he definitely deserves it.

22 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The original Jaws is by far and away the most superior. I'd even say the SS Indianapolis scene is probably my most favourite of all time.

Absolutely this, the Indianapolis scene is immense! The entire film is great, i like the second one too, obviously not as good as the first but its easily the best of the sequels. 

20 minutes ago, The OP said:

I thought Training Day was a bit of a stupid film but a top notch performance from Denzel carried it. 

Its a decent film with a good plot, terrible plot twist(so obvious) and unremarkable directing. Agree entirely that Denzel carries it because the rest of the cast is awful, especially Ethan Hawke, at least the rest can argue they weren't great as the majority of the cast are Rap/RnB preformers, Hawke is considered a proper actor and i honestly dont know why because he is awful.

On 10/17/2016 at 01:51, Cerberus said:

Clooney is an OK actor but he is in some utterly shite films.

On 10/17/2016 at 03:50, Randy Giles said:

I'd go with that. He's been hit and miss as a director so far, although that's only four movies.

He is absolutely hit and miss as a director and as a actor. Its almost remarkable that a guy who has great films like From Dusk til Dawn and Fantastic Mr Fox under his belt, was also involved in Batman and Robin. Hell i enjoy the Ocean's films as well. He seem's to go from great to utter garbage on a almost constant basis. 

Archived