Arbroath vs Cowdenbeath

5 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I think people are being slightly harsh on Robbie Mutch over the piece. He has made mistakes, and we could definitely have a better keeper at this level but I don't think he has been particularly bad - he has played like an average League 2 keeper. Potentially if we want to be right up the top we need to have top players for this level all over the park and in the keeping position we don't right now, but some of the criticism he's taking is a bit too far. If we had McGurn in goal I think we'd have a few more points on the board, but we don't.

I think there are several issues outfield that are more of an issue than replacing/ dropping Robbie Mutch. If we didn't insist on playing our best defender at right back I'm fairly certain we wouldn't have shipped the 6 goals we did against Stirling/ Clyde and if we had made the correct substitutions/ tactical decisions in some games, East Fife and Clyde especially, then these wouldn't have both ended in defeat in my opinion.

We're barely into the season, and I still maintain we have the best squad in the division, they just haven't clicked yet and quite often aren't utilised to their full potential. Whether that's because players are carrying knocks/ injuries I'm unaware of or that the management are making some poor decisions I don't know, but the potential is definitely there. East Fife were garbage last year until around late November when it clicked for them, and the run Berwick went on in the last third of last year was incredible, we're only half a dozen games into the season so there is plenty of time for things to come together.

Who would you have played at right back over the past two games?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomson hasn't featured since pre season if memory serves me correct, he's either had an injury or just not fancied.

Little seems to be the only option there just now but agree he is a better Centre back, I have yet to see any wide player give him any problems when he's been at Right back and he is also very comfortable on the ball going forward. Whatley would seem to be the only other who could play there but he was injured and also doesn't look like DC fancies him there.

24 minutes ago, HeraldSchumacher said:

Campbell did the exact same as Lumsden with scattergun approach signing players to fill our squad.

Where the difference lies is that Campbell is sticking with Dunlop, Malin, Thomson while Lumsden had the sense to ditch the likes of Coult and Victoria sharp.

Good shout, yeah just get rid of all of them and we'll have no bench. No doubt some of these guys will get a chance at some point.

Mutch has potential but he's only 18 and made a number of mistakes, i cant see us changing him until his loan is up in December. What we need is a settle defence in front of him. I would go for whatley, little, hammy & phillips but then i cant see the other 2 loanees (or their clubs) sitting on the bench.....

Good shout, yeah just get rid of all of them and we'll have no bench. No doubt some of these guys will get a chance at some point.

Pretty sure he's on the wind up

The 3 of them have barely played

But if we get injuries we will actually have our own players to come in instead of trying to get emergency loans

Lumsden was utter shite, absolutely useless, not just with us, but with Rovers before him

16 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Who would you have played at right back over the past two games?

I would've gone with Whatley at right back against Clyde, as I would have in previous games against Stirling and East Fife also, and on Saturday potentially Dunlop at right back if Thomson was unfit to play. However with Whatley injured for the Annan game I can understand why Ricky went to RB for that game.

If I've worked this out correctly (I've probably not :lol: ) then since the league campaign started we've played Ricky at centre back 3 times:

Berwick at home - Conceded 1

Montrose away - Conceded 1 (with Dunlop at right back, hence I gave it as an option we could have gone with against Annan)

Elgin away - Conceded 0

2 goals conceded in 3 games is excellent.

Ricky has played at right back 3 times:

Stirling - conceded 3 goals

Clyde - conceded 3 goals

Annan - conceded 1 goals

Add in the East Fife cup game, where we conceded 3 also, that's 10 goals in 4 games against us.

Essentially with Ricky Little at centre back, we've averaged 0.67 goals conceded a game. With Ricky Little at right back, we've averaged 2.5 goals conceded a game. Four times the amount of goals conceded on average when we play our best centre back out of position. That's a huge difference.

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Little hasn't even been bad at RB

Where did I say he had been bad at right back? I said, as you'll see above, that we've been shite in defence as a whole when he hasn't been playing in the centre of it.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Lumsden was utter shite, absolutely useless, not just with us, but with Rovers before him

Todd couldn't form a squad of players, and couldn't build a squad anywhere near the standard we have right now. From what I hear, his man management and his motivational skills were also fairly poor. However, more often than not he got his substitutions right and could read the game quite well, it's just the squad he assembled was fucking rank. Based on what I've seen so far, Todd got his substitutions correct more than Dick has, and he never asked players to play in roles that weren't suited to them.

I don't understand why Callaghan is not getting much time on the left wing as Linn should be on the right wing.

Team for Saturday should be (in my opinion):-

GK - Gomes

RB - Due to injuries this is a tough call - Dunlop/Kader/Whatley/Gold

CB - LITTLE!!!

CB - Brown

LB - Hamilton

RM - Linn

CM - Scott

CM - Gold

LM - Callaghan

ST - Doris

ST - Skelly

Subs options:- Mutch, Sukar, Dunlop, Malin, Whatley, McCord, Kader, Hester, Prunty

Also, regardless if you think the players are good or not I don't understand why Dunlop and especially Malin were ever signed as they never get a game. Surely Malin should get a chance to prove himself.

Fail to see how any of the goals we've lost would've been stopped if Ricky was playing centre half though???? Clydes 3rd maybe, but then again it was Ricky and the centre half that McDonald got in behind on that GK.

I think Brown and Hammy/Sukur have played well. Got my own opinions on why we've been losing goals which I've said plenty

I'd only play Ricky at RB with Bobby infront though, Kader needs more help down his side and gets back defensively more. Kader would be better with Phillips behind him IMO.

Archived