Arbroath vs Cowdenbeath

We could really do with a win here. A good way to go about that would be benching bombscare Mutch but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed on that front. Get Little to CB with Whatley or Thomson at RB if they're fit. Although McCord scored yesterday I've not been overly impressed with him and I'd have David Gold in from the start. Either that or have Gold playing RM with McCord and Scott in the middle. Get Doris starting, Prunty does nothing for me and Doris and Skelly were developing a nice partnership together. I'm sure this'll be an entirely different game from our league cup match, is it right that Todorov is playing CB?looked a real handful earlier on.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

We could really do with a win here. A good way to go about that would be benching bombscare Mutch but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed on that front. Get Little to CB with Whatley or Thomson at RB if they're fit. Although McCord scored yesterday I've not been overly impressed with him and I'd have David Gold in from the start. Either that or have Gold playing RM with McCord and Scott in the middle. Get Doris starting, Prunty does nothing for me and Doris and Skelly were developing a nice partnership together. I'm sure this'll be an entirely different game from our league cup match, is it right that Todorov is playing CB?looked a real handful earlier on.

I wouldn't worry. We are getting worse every week, a chance for Arbroath to avenge all the humpings of recent times.

Not looking forward to this one.

Can't believe some of the opinions regarding Prunty. No been brilliant or anything but I think he's been alright, great at bringing players into the game. Think he's really needing a goal though, if only that effort found the other side of the post...

Doris and Skelly definitely looked like our best partnership though. I also think we look decent at the back regardless of who plays where. However like you've said I think Mutch lets us down big time, if he had last seasons defence infront of him it could have gotten messy a few times. He barely has anywhere near the workload Fleming had and still finds a way to chuck a few.

I've seen most of the games this season, including the 2 at Inverness. Sad to say I think we need a steadier keeper. No doubt in my mind that we would be competing with Forfar if Fleming was still between the posts. Mutch may make the grade but right now he needs rested.

Plenty of good options in midfield and defence, but Gold should start and Doris with Skelly up front.

54 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Because we needed a centre half and he played perfectly competently in that position

He was clumsy and cost us a penalty in the first game he played there. To be fair he did ok but in my opinion he shouldnt even be asked to play there and we should have 3 centre halfs better than him to play the position.

I think people are being slightly harsh on Robbie Mutch over the piece. He has made mistakes, and we could definitely have a better keeper at this level but I don't think he has been particularly bad - he has played like an average League 2 keeper. Potentially if we want to be right up the top we need to have top players for this level all over the park and in the keeping position we don't right now, but some of the criticism he's taking is a bit too far. If we had McGurn in goal I think we'd have a few more points on the board, but we don't.

I think there are several issues outfield that are more of an issue than replacing/ dropping Robbie Mutch. If we didn't insist on playing our best defender at right back I'm fairly certain we wouldn't have shipped the 6 goals we did against Stirling/ Clyde and if we had made the correct substitutions/ tactical decisions in some games, East Fife and Clyde especially, then these wouldn't have both ended in defeat in my opinion.

We're barely into the season, and I still maintain we have the best squad in the division, they just haven't clicked yet and quite often aren't utilised to their full potential. Whether that's because players are carrying knocks/ injuries I'm unaware of or that the management are making some poor decisions I don't know, but the potential is definitely there. East Fife were garbage last year until around late November when it clicked for them, and the run Berwick went on in the last third of last year was incredible, we're only half a dozen games into the season so there is plenty of time for things to come together.

4 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

We're barely into the season, and I still maintain we have the best squad in the division, they just haven't clicked yet and quite often aren't utilised to their full potential. Whether that's because players are carrying knocks/ injuries I'm unaware of or that the management are making some poor decisions I don't know, but the potential is definitely there. East Fife were garbage last year until around late November when it clicked for them, and the run Berwick went on in the last third of last year was incredible, we're only half a dozen games into the season so there is plenty of time for things to come together.

Admire your optimism, this could have been written by several Cowden fans last season but we all know what happened.

At the start of this season I thought we'd do reasonably well too but it's all gone pear shaped for us.

Having  decent squad isn't the full story either if you don't have the right manager. This is becoming more and more obvious as the weeks go by. 

In recent seasons this would have been a game to look forward to, now I don't think I'll bother.

Archived